Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• former CM

My daughter and I went in two times to take a took a look on days when it wasn't too crowded and both times the bartenders were nice and funny. This is one of my favorite rooms at the Disneyland Resort. Small can be cool. Interior decorators can be cool.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Is Trader Sam's a good dinner option?

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsjed View Post
    I've never been to Trader Sam's before (even though I'm a local and an AP holder) and thinking of heading down to the resort this weekend. Not sure if I'll go into the park, but wanted to try something new for dinner. Is this a good dinner choice? If not, what is it more suited for? Thanks!
    Its a good DRINKING option!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by caseyj View Post
    Is Trader Sam's a good place to take kids for a meal?

That and....

can and do you recommend reservations
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by d.N.d. View Post
    That and....

can and do you recommend reservations

No reservations. First come first served. As I posted it above, it's fine for kids if you can find a table around the bar or a table outdoors.

...but it IS a bar and best not to have them there too long.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Minion

The food to me is pretty good. I really like their wings and Hawaiian burger. I pretty much make the walk there every time I go to the parks. It's one of my favorite bars ever in terms of a theme.

I was disappointed with the menu. The food was fine, I've had the tacos and the chicken sandwich, but the menu is very limited. A few finger foods and a hamburger. I was really hoping they would have a full menu, especially with the restaurant next door.

I still recommend going. The bartenders are great and the theming is fun. I've seen a few employees stop in there after work so probably a great place to hear some insider stories.

Before I say this, everyone there is very pleasant and nice but...

service wait times are borderline unbearable. It always takes 30 minutes for me to get what I ordered, even if it's only a bottle of beer.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Before I say this, everyone there is very pleasant and nice but...

service wait times are borderline unbearable. It always takes 30 minutes for me to get what I ordered, even if it's only a bottle of beer.
    I've seen food service and table service be slow, but the bartenders at the bar are really attentive and quick! I've been there when it's empty and full and have had great service from them consistently.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I've seen food service and table service be slow, but the bartenders at the bar are really attentive and quick! I've been there when it's empty and full and have had great service from them consistently.
    I think this is right. My service at the bar is always stellar. My service outside on the patio....ugh.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I think this is right. My service at the bar is always stellar. My service outside on the patio....ugh.
    Agreed! And there are certain areas that are Trader Sam's and certain ones that are Tangora Terrace. Where you sit determines whether you are waited on or have to get food/drinks yourself.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• *Experiment 999*

Trader Sam's is a "must visit" everytime I can get to the park. They have really great drinks (both of the alcoholic and non alcoholic variety) and some really great appetizers. As far as actual meals, normally my friends and myself get an appetizer a person and share to make a complete meal out of it. It can get pricey if you loose yourself in the atmosphere...but what isn't pricey at Disneyland? I always have great service inside and outside the actual bar area. Sitting inside is a must at one point in your visits as well!

Food was very average, somewhat below some of the better in-park food in my opinion. I would much rather spend the money on better options in downtown Disney. To me, Sam's is all about the drinks. Bartenders have always been friendly and service generally very good. I could sit and soak up the place for a couple of hours no problem.

I think it's best to go there early, just before the "Happy Hour" locals rush (there isn't an actual happy hour, I mean that time between 5 & 7 PM after people get out of work but before dinnertime), when there're people in the bar, but it's not crowded enough to push you out on the patio. If you're there with a group that has anyone under 21 sit at the tables just to the left of the door.

The food menu is more focused on lighter fare, with the Hawaiian Cheeseburger, Kaluha Pork Flatbread, and BBQ Chicken sandwich being the heartiest fare; I like the two former much better then the latter. For lighter fare I like the Panko Crusted Chinese Long Beans, the Chicken Lettuce Wraps, and the Fish Tacos, pretty much in that order. Somewhere in between is the light but filling Chinese Chicken Salad. I still haven't tried the Wings or Poke yet.

As for drinks, if you have a group the Uh-Oa is a fun party bowl, the Krakatoa Punch is fun for one, and the Shipwreck on the Rocks is good if you like Bourbon better than Rum. If you can sit at the bar try a Shrunken Zombie Head. Oh, I almost forget the "Secret Menu"! You can get a Kungaloosh (old style), or a Black Pearl, or the Scooby Snack and the Neverland Tea from the old Lost Bar.

• The Disneyland Bro

I think it's definitely kid friendly, there's a lot of stuff to look at and it's a fun bar - there's volcanoes going off, rain, etc. It's pretty high-energy! Even if your kid doesn't want to sit at the table with the grown-ups, they can wander around and look at everything, and it's a small enough space where you can keep an eye on them easily.

I've never gone during typical Happy Hour times, but I can't imagine it gets that crazy / not-kid-friendly. It's Disney for pete's sake!

We've been outside a couple of weekend evenings and they have a ukulele & guitar player duo who sing - it's like being on vacation sitting out there when the weather's nice!
    I love the panko long beans and the kalua flatbread and my teenager loves the burger.
    They just should have made it bigger!
    Don't miss the postcards and letters - some fun stuff hidden on the walls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast