Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prediction: Remake of Black Hole surpasses success of Tron, New Attraction

With the same guy (Joseph Kosinski) doing both Tron and Black Hole remakes, and he did Oblivion (great visual movie not relying completely on CGI, which I hope is closer to Tommorrowland style remake with retro futurism), I am predicting Black Hole will be a huge success as it has so much potential in a remake with the right people on the job and able to pay homage to a classic story (20,000 leagues Under the Sea). The timing and that Disney will see that this would be a great addition to Tomorrowland's remake right after the light cycles.

I will go out on a limb and predict the success of Black Hole surpassing, Tron Legacy and the upcoming Tron movie and a Black Hole attraction.

What do you think of the prediction, am I crazy?

Name:  black-hole-cygnus.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  19.9 KBName:  BlackHole00.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  72.7 KBName:  BlackHoleCard1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  72.9 KB

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Prediction: Remake of Black Hole surpasses success of Tron, New Attraction

... I have sadly never heard of the "Black Hole" D: Was it a popular movie?

Fond memories seeing this Disney movie as a kid after being on a Star Wars high. From Wiki "At $20 million (plus another $6 million for the advertising budget), it was at the time the most expensive picture ever produced by the company. The movie earned nearly $36 million at the North American box office, The film received two Academy Award nominations: One for Best Visual Effects and one for Best Cinematography."

Would make a great attraction if the movie takes off and is as kid friendly as the first one was.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    ... I have sadly never heard of the "Black Hole" D: Was it a popular movie?
    Having seen it when it opened and several times since, my opinion is that it was really really bad for its time (1979), and hasn't aged well in the decades since. Calling it misguided kitsch would be extravagant praise.

Two years after Star Wars, we sci-fi and Disney fans eagerly lined up around the block on opening day... and two hours later staggered out of the theaters like blank-faced disaster victims.

"It's burned everlastingly into my memory."
    - Captain Nemo
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Evil is Sexy

We lovingly refer to it as the "Multicolored Hole" in our house. That darn thing could never make up it's mind on what color it wanted to be.

Besides the fact, Vincent is the coolest robot, ever!!
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Black Hole is pretty good movie though not great, the film is not a masterpiece like the original Star Wars is. Though, the movie has a small cult-following due to being nostalgic and having practical classic effects that has not aged well. I would definitely want a Black Hole remake from Disney, though the rating should be 'PG-13.' As the old one is dark and weird during some of the scenes much like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• the rockawho?

i just dont see the black hole being that successful....tron already had a large cult following and they market the heck out of it......pretty much over-hyped it....

im not sure if black hole has a cult following....if they do, then i never heard of them....

kosinki in my opinion is overrated.....tron legacy was good the first time i watched, then boring the second time....it has no rewatch value to it....the soundtrack is amazing though which really help push the film

oblivion was entertaining, but borrowed way too many elements from other sci-fi films like Moon (basically took the whole plot), Independence Day, matrix, etc etc....the film wasnt original.....just regurgitated from better sci fi films

i heard they got the writer from prometheus to rewrite the black hole....prometheus was poorly written and way too many plot holes...hopefully, he will write a better script for the black hole....

• -

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Besides the fact, Vincent is the coolest robot, ever!!
    I always thought of him as a knock-off, inferior version of R2D2.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Black Hole is pretty good movie though not great, the film is not a masterpiece like the original Star Wars is. Though, the movie has a small cult-following due to being nostalgic and having practical classic effects that has not aged well. I would definitely want a Black Hole remake from Disney, though the rating should be 'PG-13.' As the old one is dark and weird during some of the scenes much like Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Seems like this was also said about Tron before it's remake got done...

This is exactly why it has so much potential in the remake and could come out of no where and surprise everyone + the rolling meteors and the long futuristic peoplemover/coaster ride to the bridge on the outside of the Cignus ship...screams attraction ride, updated of course if the new film takes this great visual scene and pays homage and updates it.
    Name:  bh3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  21.2 KB

• -

Quote Originally Posted by bezerkus View Post
    Seems like this was also said about Tron before it's remake got done...
    TRON wasn't remade. TRON Legacy was a sequel, not a remake.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    i just dont see the black hole being that successful....tron already had a large cult following and they market the heck out of it......pretty much over-hyped it....

im not sure if black hole has a cult following....if they do, then i never heard of them....

kosinki in my opinion is overrated.....tron legacy was good the first time i watched, then boring the second time....it has no rewatch value to it....the soundtrack is amazing though which really help push the film

oblivion was entertaining, but borrowed way too many elements from other sci-fi films like Moon (basically took the whole plot), Independence Day, matrix, etc etc....the film wasnt original.....just regurgitated from better sci fi films

i heard they got the writer from prometheus to rewrite the black hole....prometheus was poorly written and way too many plot holes...hopefully, he will write a better script for the black hole....

This is why my going out on a limb and predicting it's success as I agree with all your comments. All the stars can align sometimes in a career (look at Lucas). On Oblivion although ID4 borrowed from everyone and I felt the tightness of the story to be so much better than some of the things it borrowed from and felt it paid more homage to Matrix visuals than any blatent rip off of storyline. I have never seen a better house of tomorrow portrayed in film than I saw in Oblivion and they did it with natural light and backdrops, not overly CGI'd like Star Wars New. Felt as bright as the original cloud city of Empire Strikes Back.
    On Tron, I was mostly disappointed with the CGI faces and the lead actor/acting.

Also while I was disappointed in the overall plot of Prometheus and many holes, there was moments of greatness within.
    Black Hole has the basis for a great story, great emotion, great visuals, ...potential that could translate into an even better immersive attraction.
    All the stars must align which is improbable, but that's my out on a limb prediction.
    Last edited by bezerkus; 05-31-2013 at 12:54 PM.

removed
    Last edited by bezerkus; 05-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    TRON wasn't remade. TRON Legacy was a sequel, not a remake.
    Forgive my lingo, I lump remakes, decades long reboots, decades long movies in the same universe with different characters, and 25 year sequels together in the same boat. Basically the whole movie needs to be remade even if the story is sequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Having seen it when it opened and several times since, my opinion is that it was really really bad for its time (1979), and hasn't aged well in the decades since. Calling it misguided kitsch would be extravagant praise.

Two years after Star Wars, we sci-fi and Disney fans eagerly lined up around the block on opening day... and two hours later staggered out of the theaters like blank-faced disaster victims.

ROFL. It WAS pretty bad. I liked the robots though.

• film975

It is an interesting thing to speculate with all the science fiction movies Disney has coming up in the near future. With the sequel to TRON Legacy, the remake of Black Hole, and Brad Bird's Tomorrowland film. But not every successful film and/or film franchise needs to be represented in Disney's parks. I think what should determine a new attraction is what kind of experience Disney can offer their guests. How the attraction is themed should be secondary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast