Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Hey, I'm going on June 8!

OK, one more day!
    Need to bump this up for more suggestions. Haven't been in 3+ years (went on wife's birthday for free -- that was 3 years ago, right?) So, I'm missing some new stuff?

And, if you're in the park, look for the shirt described in Post #2! I will be high-fiving anyone I see who puts their hand up for it. Not enough time to stop and chat, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• formerly very helpful

Have a blast. Can't wait to see the photos.

• Rock Star Minion

"Photos"?
    This is getting to be quite burdensome, this trip report.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    "Photos"?
    This is getting to be quite burdensome, this trip report.
    No problem, just copy some DL trip photos from flickr & tumblr. Post 'em tonight & avoid the rush after your trip.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

I can do that.
    I'll post some 1950's pics, to show I actually traveled back in time to when DL was sooooo much better.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

do you like the animatronics? well, Tilly here and we are all having a Miss Disneyland pageant here! It is the day after you go, on June 9th when we announce the nominees. Please click the link in my signature to "Miss Disneyland" thread and vote!

thank you!

Also, say hi to me when you are there, no one says hi to me. it would make my day
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

I can do that.
    I'll post some 1950's pics, to show I actually traveled back in time to when DL was sooooo much better.
    Actually, if you wouldn't mind, I'd prefer some from say, 2020, or so instead.

• Rock Star Minion

I'll be high-fiving Tilly.

And, I'll need 1.21 gigawatts! Twice!!

• Rock Star Minion

This is what the shirt I'll be wearing looks like:
    Disney Tiki Kingdom Hawaiian Shirt Mickey Donald Duck Goofy Pluto Mens Med Rayon | eBay

No, this one is not mine. Mine is a size XL, not a M. I bought it used for about $20.

• Senior Minion

...I'll need 1.21 gigawatts! Twice!!
    Easy-peasy: just bring a fannypack full of 16-gauge electric cable (don't worry, they won't search you), hotwire it to the Fantasmic dragon and ZAP! -- you'll be transported to a time when a summer evening in New Orleans Square meant quiet relaxation and romantic rides on the Mark Twain.

Good man! I have a matching tie, but it's not for sale.

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well have a wonderful time at the park on June 8th. May it be a Zippity Doo Dah Day.

• Senior Minion

What's this? The day itself, and no live text reports from inside POTC? No iPad videos of churros frying on the sidewalk in this record-breaking heat?

- Neil Gabler

• Selfie Expert

Maybe he was detained for dry ice bombing?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Maybe he managed to get the 16 gauge past security... no live feed from the 50s! That or his gun fell out of his pocket...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Rock Star Minion

Wiggy, I was thinking about live blogging, but I don't have that capability ('cause I'm old), and I'd rather enjoy my day in the park without live-bragging to the outside world. I did do part of the LA Times crossword online while in line, then all my answers got erased when we got to the dense portion of the Splash queue. Guess I'll do that today.

Trip Report
    Guests: Me and Wife, and CM Relative who drives separately.
    OK, got up at 6:30AM
    left house by 7:05AM
    Arrived at 8:00AM. It's about 70 miles, made great time driving through the heart of LA. No trouble at all at Sticky and Friends. Had we gone later (what we've done in the past to my consternation), pretty sure it would be backed up there, backed up at the tram, backed up at security, backed up at park entrance. Tip for everyone: go early!! (Oh, and DUH!!)
    Meet up with CM relative at 8:30, while queue to DCA is moving! Had to let a few families pass while waiting for him to show up.
    In line for RSR fastpass at 8:43. Yes, this fastpass line needs a fastpass!!
    When "park opens" some extremely loud music blares from the speakers. Old ears say "Too loud!" More often, old ears say, "Eh? Speak up!"

Get fastpass, go straight to Luigi's on relative's suggestion. On in 5 minutes.
    Fun little ride. We did ok on it. Probably no reason to go on again.

Outside, the RSR standby queue stretched down the "newly-paved" main drag.

After that, made a beeline to screamin'. Sat second from back. Awesome ride, as usual. Back hurt a little.

Then, Midway Mania. 20 minute wait. Fun. 122,000 first time. Probably won't be a second time.
    Walked past Goofy's Sky School. 5-minute wait. What the heck. Well, the heck was that it's very uncomfortable. I need to lose some weight (215 or so), as the g-forces on my back were unbearable. Popular refrain for the rest of the day.

Relative has to do family obligations, so he leaves. We head to RSR for fastpass return at 10:30. Fun ride. Entertaining. Hurts back, too. I like how Ramone does the Spanish safety spiel.

ToT, find it closed. Hurt back just thinking about going on it.
    Pass Turtle Talk, convince Wife to watch, even though we don't have the old kids with us. Nice seats. Doesn't hurt back. Entertaining, not always the same. Crush knows the little dudes' names.
    And, remembering DL is across the foyer, we leave DCA, as expected: it's fun, but there's no warm, glowing, warming glow inside us.
    Into DL at about 11:30AM. Man, people like to stand around right inside the gate! MOVE, people! They're flowers!
    Walk down MSUSA, check to see if the light is on. It is.
    Hit Space Mt for the Fastpass. Return at 1:30. [soapbox]plenty of time to sit in some other line making everyone wait a little longer [/soapbox]
    So, hit Matterhorn line, which is near Tomorrowland Terrace. Waited about 5 minutes. No movement at all. As DL experts know, this is unusual. So, I head to the loading dock to see CMs moving trains by hand, another CM under the loading dock. Time to get out of line.
    Head to Indy. In line for 15 minutes and the voice on the loudspeaker announces closure. Indefinite as to when it will open again. Bummer.
    Head to Haunted Mansion. Short wait. One Elevator. Seems to be a lot of newness to it since I last went on three years ago. Made out with wife like teenagers, as predicted. No castigation from CM voice. Good.
    On to Splash. 30 minute wait. Not bad. Seemed shorter. Wow, the water level seemed a lot higher than usual, and we got half-drenched. If a hot day, I wouldn't have minded. But we dried off eventually. Walk passed indy. It's open, and the FastPass return is 3:30. But, it's 1:00, and our Space FastPasses won't let us get another.
    So, trip around the rivers of the world. Cruise director was very entertaining. He was clear, and his jokes were corny. One good sequence included:
    "The one on the bottom of the pole is named hauntus....That rhino is trying poke a hauntus.....and now, just around the river bend, we have...."

Get off Jungle Cruise to find Indy closed again. OK. we have seven minutes to get to Space, so we do the leisurly walk, only to find other guests more leisurely walking! Didn't think it was possible.
    Get to Space with perfect timing. Guests in front of us have expired fastpasses (half an hour) but are allowed to pass. Meh. Bound to happen. Easy walk down to bottom of the pit. Great ride. Back hurts.
    Back to the Hub, and through the Castle go to the right. Wife is not interested in the Dark rides, so we keep walking. Lo, Matterhorn is open, the parade route is getting cleared. And there is a Single Line option! Since we're sitting single anyway, might as well.
    OK, after not eating for the past six hours, it's time to eat. Hit up Cafe Orleans for the Monte Cristo, while Wife has the 3-Cheese Cristo. Big mistake, I should hav e remembered to split one, and share a starter. I can eat with the best of them, and had all mine and a quarter of hers. Note to self: Diet starts today. Anyway, it was pretty awesome, but it is way too big. To all: SPLIT THE SANDWICH! If anything, you get to taste something else as well. French Onion Soup would have been nice to have.
    Quick note: NOS restrooms are nice enough, but there is little legroom in the stall I was in, and single-ply means I just double-up on use.
    OK, now to digest, we hit POTC. Bit of a line, but it moves quickly. Got a little wet again. Still a great attraction. Jack Sparrow can't ruin it completely, doing his best Zelig (or for you younger folks: Gump). The queue for POTC GAC at the exit stretched to the main thoroughfare. "Unintended Consequences" are doing their thing.
    OK, it's getting tiring. I need to do one last new thing before I expect never to return, so New Star Tours. Wife gets motion sickness and after a Cristo, it's gonna get ugly. She goes to First Aid Station to treat a blister on foot, tells me later that the person before and the person after have blister issues. So I go it alone. It was fun. Good use of effects. I felt a little motion-sickness durring and after, but recovered. And man, do people like to take their time down the exit ramps! Walk, people! Maybe others were feeling the effects, too, but my instinct was to get to fresh air ASAP.
    OK, that's about it. We had other business to take care of in The OC, then Wife added some more business while we were down there. Were passing by flag pole just as an announcement for the flag-lowering ceremony was mentioned. As it was something we've never seen before, we sat near the Fire Station and watched. Very nice.

So, for the money we paid (gas and Monte Cristos), it was a good day!

Conclusions:
    1. I need to workout my torso, and lose some weight.
    2. Monte Cristo: delish, but only need half to sate.
    3. Wasn't all that crowded. As if everyone went last weekend and/or is waiting for kids to finish school (some are out most are not).
    4. Didn't see any blatant illegal line-cutting. Lots of band kids, cheer kids, etc., in attendance.
    Last edited by sediment; 06-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast