Question What Will Happen to the Penny Arcade if (And When) the US Discards of the Penny?

People have sometimes brought up the talk about discarding the 1c Penny due to various reasons, and a lot of them very good reasons too which I do support. Various countries around the world have also abandoned their 1 cent coins and they are doing just fine. However, what will happen to the Penny Arcade and all the machines operated by pennies? Do you suppose Disney will retrofit them to accept quarters, just like they did with the Music Box at the Main Street Station? I am interested in sharing your thoughts and opinions on the possible future of both the penny and the Penny Arcade.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Selfie Expert

Re: What Will Happen to the Penny Arcade if (And When) the US Discards of the Penny?

I would say it will be the Nickel Arcade... but I think you're right in that it would probably be a Quarter Arcade.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Minion

Re: What Will Happen to the Penny Arcade if (And When) the US Discards of the Penny?

I could see Disney minting its own pennies, the way they minted their own tokens for Flynn's Arcade. Or, I would guess they would retrofit for nickels or dimes.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Disney pennies. Similar to Disney dollars.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Make them static displays and or just get rid of them? That square footage could probably pull in more revenue selling candy.

It might upset Disney enthusiasts if they mess with a classic that has been there for years.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    It might upset Disney enthusiasts if they mess with a classic that has been there for years.
    First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arcade

I have to say that Gibsons looks NICE! It used to be so small and cramped, but always so packed in there at night. They way they have it now is a vast improvement and it looks really good. I can only see it in pictures because I am here in Florida now. However, I think they are possibly doing the same to a few shops here in Magic Kingdom because there are a few that have been under refurb for some time. Of course, I'm always rushing by I haven't taken the time to browse around Main Street yet. So I haven't even noticed if there is a Gibson's here or not.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

They may actually do this at some point, but they were saying this was going to happen back in the 80's. I remember a friend's dad made off with a jar of pennies that we had because he thought they were going to be rare and super valuable.

BTW, I think the name "Penny Arcade" is safe regardless. I assume nothing in Toontown's Five and Dime costs a nickel or dime .

These could be the new mascots :

Last edited by animagusurreal; 06-02-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Main St USA represents a time in the past, so I don't see why pennies can't still live on there. As far as the cost of the arcade games, are there really any in there that still only cost 1 cent?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

•   
    • Minion

If they were minting their own pennies, they could even do some cool reproductions of the pennies that were around in 1900, perhaps, or something in tribute to them.

I like the new Gibson Girl ice cream parlor and Penny Arcade, but I dearly miss the crystal elephant. I hope he comes back at some point or they find a nice new home for him at the park and put him out on display again.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I like the new Gibson Girl ice cream parlor and Penny Arcade, but I dearly miss the crystal elephant. I hope he comes back at some point or they find a nice new home for him at the park and put him out on display again.
    As long he doesn't end up as a fixture in Adventureland, right?

• world class bilge rat

It would be fairly east to modify the machines to take dimes, a bit tougher for nickels or quarters.

Dimes or quarters would be cool; with the right dies, the copper color could be intermixed with the silver color.