Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Re: Ticket prices going up June 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Well.... we go through this every year. I just wish Disney didn't try to push the park experience as a "great value". They've used that phrase 2 years in row. It is an expensive luxury that people may or may not be willing to pay for.
    Unfortunately, relative to other entertainments, it is a great value. I go to the opera, LA Phil and Broadway shows often, and single tickets there are comparable to a single day hopper, and that's for just two hours of evening entertainment.

We're not even talking Laker season tickets here...which is way, way more expensive than even Disneyland's premium annual pass.

Or cinema prices, which I consider the greatest price gouging of all.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Unfortunately, relative to other entertainments, it is a great value. I go to the opera, LA Phil and Broadway shows often, and single tickets there are comparable to a single day hopper, and that's for just two hours of evening entertainment.

We're not even talking Laker season tickets here...which is way, way more expensive than even Disneyland's premium annual pass.

A lot of people consider those to be luxuries as well.

Agreed. We have tickets to two concerts and Disney Jr's live tour this summer. The price in total is comparable to a three-day park hopper. An AP is still a heck of a deal if you live close enough to visit a few times a year.

I can agree up to a point. Have you seen the ticket price to see The Rolling Stones....yeow! "Value" is a relative term. But I'm an AP holder who is not local. Besides the admission, my visit to Disneyland also needs to include transportation, hotel, food, and shopping. Visiting Disneyland is an expensive luxury for our family. And like many others, some day we will be priced out.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Next stop: $100. Eventually on to $115... $125... $135... $150...

And people will pay it.

Ok, so if you are correct in that those are the price points that the market will bear then why should they not charge them? Why should Disney be expected to leave money on the table?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Ok, so if you are correct in that those are the price points that the market will bear then why should they not charge them? Why would Disney be expected to leave money on the table?
    You miss the point: Disney's theme park prices are incredibly lower than what the market will bear. If their beancounters had any sense, they'd raise their ticket prices much, much higher.

And people would still pay it.

Exactly. You can bet dollars to churros that Disney could double their ticket prices, and after the sticker shock wore off, the crowds would be at the same level they are today.

Disney doesn't sell a product, they sell a branded lifestyle. And that's something that their branded-lifestyle customers will pay dearly for.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I think I know what it is.
    I really don't understand why Disney would do this at all. If anything, single day ticket holders generate the least amount of revenue. You figure one ticket, 2 meals, and maybe $30-50 worth of souvenirs. Compare to a multi day hotel tourist with 4 tickets and table service, and more merch or an AP who buys on average a meal a trip, a souvenir every month, expensive upfront cost, and who usually underutilizes park facilities compared to all other guests.

Why else are they marketing to potential APs and Hotel guests vs. one day guests? They obviously bring in the least amount of cash.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinemaps View Post
    Anyone else get that email survey from Disney the other day?

funny how the survey end date was yesterday, and the price increase was today.

And I agree...if you renew, you are definitely going to go more. And probably spend less elsewhere. It's a smart move for Disney. You could make the argument that this increases attendance.
    Yes, but it doesn't increase attendance REVENUE per guest.
    Yes. the AP Program is a predatory one.

It's just too bad that everyone taking the survey answered the questions incorrectly. This is the punishment.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

You miss the point: Disney's theme park prices are incredibly lower than what the market will bear. If their beancounters had any sense, they'd raise their ticket prices much, much higher.

And people would still pay it.

I disagree. I think Disney management believes that the market will allow prices to be increased from current levels, but they must be careful. They are moving them up slowly and deliberately (yearly) until they feel that the correct market price points have been achieved. The US (& world) economy is still quite fragile with high unemployment, low inflation and almost no average wage increases since the recession.

Disney bean counters are not the clueless bunch you portray them to be.

Exactly. You can bet dollars to churros that Disney could double their ticket prices, and after the sticker shock wore off, the crowds would be at the same level they are today.

Disney doesn't sell a product, they sell a branded lifestyle. And that's something that their branded-lifestyle customers will pay dearly for.
    Again, I would agree with this up to a point. Disney likes to present the illusion of running on a positive energy from its legions of fans. What they wouldn't want is that at a certain point a large segment of fans turns against them. In a world of lightning fast social media, the backlash could come a furious pace and difficult to control which is always what Disney wants to do.

(...and maybe Tom Morello could lead a mob of angry Disney protesters outside the front gates with a Rage Against Disney movement..... all in jest here....)
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I was expecting maybe a five dollar hike.....this is ridiculous and it's happening just before my trip next weekend. I'm honestly appalled at the nasty price hikes. My So Cal AP used to be like $175 a few years ago, nay a couple of years ago and now its in the $300 range. Disney I love you, but you're killing me!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

I was really hoping that Disney would raise prices at the end of summer this year as my renewal date is October. I thought Disney would at least wait to see if people renew after last year's price gouging. I remember last summer not hearing Disney promote APs, but by fall advertisements were everywhere, thinking people stopped renewing because they were not grandfather into the old price. I know a lot of people that gave up on APs.

I'm not too upset since Premium is only a $20 increase. Like many have said it is still a good value in entertainment. I went to the Angels stadium for Angels vs. Dodgers game and could not believe the price of tickets and food. $5 for a churro! It was only a few hours of entertainment.

Will Disney price me out, probably someday, hoping I will be working for the mouse by then. With the improvements to Knott's and Universal I think Disney may get a run for its money soon. After seeing all the updates on Knott's from MiceChat I really want to visit.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Ridiculous...
    it is ridicoulus brother.

Who drives a tractor to Disneyland?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I really don't understand why Disney would do this at all. If anything, single day ticket holders generate the least amount of revenue. You figure one ticket, 2 meals, and maybe $30-50 worth of souvenirs. Compare to a multi day hotel tourist with 4 tickets and table service, and more merch or an AP who buys on average a meal a trip, a souvenir every month, expensive upfront cost, and who usually underutilizes park facilities compared to all other guests.

Why else are they marketing to potential APs and Hotel guests vs. one day guests? They obviously bring in the least amount of cash.
    First, a drop in 1-day ticket prices implies a drop in multi-day ticket prices. It would be a pretty big drop in my fantasyland (to about $60, which is the new average for a 5-day hopper).

If 1 million APers on average bought one souvenir a month I'd be very surprised. But then, when you get to enter for the ridiculously low price of $55.75 down to $23.25 per visit (assuming 1 visit per month for Premium down to Select), maybe not.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast