Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disneyland should include a little Annette Funicello in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    She deserves a window.

Nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    This ^

She is such a legend and has done so much for the company, including the parks. She needs a window. Someone needs to start a petition ASAP.
    I'd have to disagree. Windows are reserved for people who have made significant contributions to Disneyland, whether it be in design, management, construction, etc. While Annette was the face of Walt Disney Productions for a number of years, she did not contribute enough to Disneyland itself to deserve a window.

My opinion, of course. I think a picture in the Lincoln post show would be perfect.

•   
    • Minion

I disagree about a window, but I think there are a lot of more effective ways Disney could pay tribute to her. Little ones: a pin. A doll. An Annette shirt (all merch with proceeds to benefit the MS foundation). A bunch of doll makers, such as Marie Osmond and Madame Alexander, have made dolls that seem to at least partially be based on Annette...bring one of those back or make a new one.

Name:  $(KGrHqIOKiQE1U((QmcSBNcS(bLdrQ~~_12.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  31BZy2zF8PL.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  14.8 KB

Large permanent tributes: a doll in iasw or a plaque nearby (they gave Julie Andrews a carousel horse so there's precedent for adding her to a ride!). A fountain. Some sort of song and dance celebration in the park. An Annette character who happens to show up in one of the parades (not impersonating her; in tribute). Some sort of fundraiser or tribute fund dedicated to MS research or patients.

There's so much Disney could do, and they're not. That just kills me.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Fans heart Annette.

Where's the profit?

The suits are heartless.

Annette worked hard for years to help Walt bring in the money that helped pay to build Disneyland. She would have kept working as an ambassador for Disney if she hadn't become ill.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

That's just it. If Walt were alive, or at least some member of the Disney family were still in charge, it would have been done. Anything would have been done. But they're nothing but a money grubbing greedy corporation that steps on the little people and forgets about the people who help made them what they are. They always concentrate on finding fresh faces, new young stars to help push the Disney market. Look at all the new shows on the Disney Channel that feature young stars. But once they get old enough, they're thrown away like a teen who's tired of their toys. The ones that used to be in that spotlight are all but forgotten. Look at Zach & Cody, the Suite Life twins. They're grown up and Disney don't want them anymore. (Of course can't blame them. In the cases like Miley & Selena, they want to ditch their Disney image and be successful.) But if they were die tragically tomorrow, next month or whatever, will Disney honor them? Highly doubt it.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

In DCA they had Pizza Oom Mow Mow. It was decorated with a Surf motif.

I would visit and spend time there, not to eat, but to visit the memorbillia on the walls.
    I grew up in Anaheim, and when Walt Disney purchased the land for Disneyland and kicked us off
    the property I was 9. I graduated from Anaheim Union High School in the 60's.
    The walls had a lot of old local Dance notices (Dick Dale, The Coasters,) at the "Rendezvous", "Retail", and Anaheim High. And, with my parents I would visit my "Hollywood Movie Star" friend Debra Wally, who was in many Annette Movies. I thought it was amazing that someone I knew not only knew Annette, but work with her in movies. My kid sister was obsessed with Annette and would pester Debra for hours about her, it was embarassing.

Pizza Ooh Mow Mow had several Annette Movie Posters, and I believe some pictures. Including: Beach Blanket Bingo, Bikini Beach, etc. It was fun to see the images of Annette, as she was the biggest teen star of the 60's. My sister would go to every Annette movie over and over. Annette performed as a Mousketeer, Circus Performer, and Singer at Disneyland.

Annette was a part of Disneyland and Disney TV history ands hould at least be in the Hall of Presidents (as much as Hanna Montana).
    She deserves a real tribute such as a Fountain, Theater (Stage 17), a Doll in Small World, or at least a plaque....

Jack

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• The Disneyland Bro

We get some Annette in Trader Sam's! There's a copy of her Hawaiiannette album hanging on a wall, kinda by a corner.

She needs more. That was most likely put up long before her passing.

Hanna Montana is in the hall??? Wow, good thing they didn't make her a legend!!!! Quick trivia question, what legend is not a Disney Legend but soon to be The Legend.

• Closed Account

I have never seen Hannah Montana in that hall.

How about a little bit of Annette in this thread? Here is from June of 1957 taken at the Disneyland Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I have never seen Hannah Montana in that hall.
    Oh yes, right next to Elvis Presley!! My family rolls their eyes every time we see her picture. So out of place. All iconic Americans and then her. Sorry, she had her peak and it is over. To imagine an XM channel dedicated to her music 35 years AFTER her death is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Hanna Montana is in the hall??? Wow, good thing they didn't make her a legend!!!! Quick trivia question, what legend is not a Disney Legend but soon to be The Legend.
    I have no idea. Dick Van Dyke?

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    That's just it. If Walt were alive, or at least some member of the Disney family were still in charge, it would have been done. Anything would have been done. But they're nothing but a money grubbing greedy corporation that steps on the little people and forgets about the people who help made them what they are. They always concentrate on finding fresh faces, new young stars to help push the Disney market. Look at all the new shows on the Disney Channel that feature young stars. But once they get old enough, they're thrown away like a teen who's tired of their toys. The ones that used to be in that spotlight are all but forgotten. Look at Zach & Cody, the Suite Life twins. They're grown up and Disney don't want them anymore. (Of course can't blame them. In the cases like Miley & Selena, they want to ditch their Disney image and be successful.) But if they were die tragically tomorrow, next month or whatever, will Disney honor them? Highly doubt it.

It seems as there is never a thread anywhere on the board that doesn't draw a "evil, greedy" Disney post.

The Disney family ran the company for 15 years after Walt's death and left the studio as a complete non factor in Hollywood and the theme parks as prime candidates for take over by an outside company. Admit it or not but when these greedy corporate people took over the Disney Company was in shambles.

And as far as these young Disney channel stars are concerned, I submit that Disney has done just as much for them than they have for Disney. I mean, I really doubt if any of them worked for free.

Point is, as far as any "tween" show associated with Disney is concerned, all innocence was lost once the Mickey Mouse Club ended, hence part of the reason why tributes to the likes of Annette Funicello and Jimmy Dodd are so sorely needed, as these stars were those who showed real class and humble humility at being thrust into the spotlight and never wavered in their convictions to stay on "the straight and narrow path", as Jiminy Cricket might've said.

While some alums of that illustrious club retained morals while still being in the public eye (Lisa Whechel graduating from the club to Facts of Life), most of the recent ones--Britney, Christina, Justin, J.C., etc.--all had their "rebellious" phases (some longer than others [see Britney being in the tabloids throughout the 90s and early-mid 00s]) and then became basically has-beens hosting shows like American Idol or attempting to do comeback tours. Others, like Hilary Duff (after the end of hit series Lizzie McGuire), disappeared off-rader to simply live a relatively normal life, which is honestly, the best alternative to trying to be succesful as a post-child star in a cutthroat Hollywood. And still others, like Lindsay Lohan (The Parent Trap & Freaky Friday remakes, Mean Girls, and the TV-movie Get a Clue), continue to ran head-along inro messes.

However, it's not just Disney stars who have this problem of not being able to grow beyond the image they once carved for themselves, as some of Nickelodeon's past stars have had similar situations, such as the trouble Amanda Bynes finds herself in as we speak.

In all truth, it feels as if innocence and morality became ultimately derailed for Disney once Roy Disney Jr. resigned (he resigned in the 90s, leaving the company to fall prey to the corporate suits of Michael Eisner and his hand-picked successor Bob Iger) and ultimately died in 2009, thus forcing the once-proud Disney legacy to rely on aqusitions (Pixar, the Jim Henson Company, LucasFilm, etc.) and on the nostalgia generated by visiting the parks that attempt to keep the glories of the past, despite being overrun by modern programming. Thank heavens that there was no such ride ever based on any of the teeny-bopper offerings on television, because mass fan outcry would've ensued.

Also, even the money-grubbing powers that be aren't to fault for the disasterous state of much of the Disney television networks (barring exceptions like Phineas & Ferb and Gravity Falls), Anne Sweeney is, since it is she who changed the television stations into being what they've since become as a glorified vehicle for those wannabe pop stars.
    Last edited by TherealRNO; 06-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast