Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Randomized Tower of Terror?

Hi, this is my first post on Micechat, after looking through for quite a while now! I'm very excited! Time to start off with an idea. You know how at DCA, Tower of Terror is always the same experience? But at WDW, it is always randomized. So, why can't they randomize it at DCA? I think it would be more interesting to do so. Is it that they can't randomize it or is it that they choose not too?

Re: Randomized Tower of Terror?

Someone else will have a comprehensive answer, but I DO recall that the two rides are actually built quite differently. The FL ToT has a load zone and then the elevators move forward through show rooms into the shafts. At DCA, the elevators do the drops in the same shaft as they load.

Umm, here is a link to the FL tower of terror blueprint. FL ToT I can't find one for DCA but, at DCA the loading and drop are in the same shaft. So maybe it can't be randomized for safety reasons?

Or it's just laziness. The DCA ToT was built on a much smaller budget.
    Last edited by threnjen; 06-01-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Here is someone's drawing of a side elevation of the DCA Tower of Terror, where everything takes place in the same shaft (load/unload/ride)

DCA ToT

Ah yes, I see. I know there are two separate shafts in WDW, but I am sure that the one at DCA could be specially programmed to be random, and yet still keep the same shaft idea.

• Selfie Expert

Are the rides different between which elevator you get on? I must have a horrible memory of the adrenaline rush impairs it (probably both), but I could have sworn I don't have the exact same ride everytime!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Yeah, probably. Honestly I think they were just being cheap since they built the DCA one scaled down from the FL experience. Although it still came in over budget, according to that accountineering article on the front page of Micechat (budgeted at 100mil, came in at 115mil). So maybe there were plans for randomization that were scrapped? Who knows It does kind of suck that it is always the same.

Kelly all the rides are the same at DCA in both shafts,

"The ride experience is identical in every drop shaft, regardless of which floor passengers board on. Two small drops occur in pitch black darkness, followed by a rise to the top of the tower as in-cabin lights flicker. The doors then open out to reveal the view from the top floor before the ride plummets to the basement. A series of quick rises and drops occurs, then another near-complete drop to the area in between the two loading floors (to assure each ride is identical) before the elevator returns to its load level and is horizontally pushed back into place at the boiler room service doors."

• Goofy

random would be great and more fun

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    Kelly all the rides are the same at DCA in both shafts,

"The ride experience is identical in every drop shaft, regardless of which floor passengers board on. Two small drops occur in pitch black darkness, followed by a rise to the top of the tower as in-cabin lights flicker. The doors then open out to reveal the view from the top floor before the ride plummets to the basement. A series of quick rises and drops occurs, then another near-complete drop to the area in between the two loading floors (to assure each ride is identical) before the elevator returns to its load level and is horizontally pushed back into place at the boiler room service doors."
    I guess I'm just lucky in the sense that I have ToT amnesia and each ride seems like a surprise!! lol

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I guess I'm just lucky in the sense that I have ToT amnesia and each ride seems like a surprise!! lol
    It doesn't bother me, either

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The randomly sequenced drop profiles setting has supposedly been sitting in the computers since Day One, held off to use as some sort of promotion similar to how Walt Disney World was able to market the various drop profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The randomly sequenced drop profiles setting has supposedly been sitting in the computers since Day One, held off to use as some sort of promotion similar to how Walt Disney World was able to market the various drop profiles.
    I remember seeing a Imagineering promotional video for ToT back in 2004 that said they would implement the randomized sequence at some point in the future. It made sense to me because I remember going to WDW on a family vacation a year or two prior, and they had just begun promoting ToT:4. We still haven't even gotten ToT:2, so who knows anymore?

This isn't the video that I remember, but it mentions the programmable ride systems at least
    Tower of Terror Effect Preview
    "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding. Perhaps you sense a disquieting metamorphosis occurring? Is this room actually stretching, or is it your imagination?"

- I think we all know where this is from

I totally thought they were different every time too! That's so funny! Whenever I go it seems totally different than the last time I was on it.

Yeah, I clearly get ride amnesia too. Especially the last time I went on, the final drop seemed much longer than it had been before.

• Minion

The entire ride seemed shorter to me this last time. Like they cut out a complete set of drop/rise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast