Disneyland parking - suggestions?

My boyfriend and I are heading to DL on a Saturday this month (have yet to decide which.) The last time we went, in November, we arrived at the resort around 10 am, only to find Mickey & Friends parking totally full (or, at the very least, they weren't allowing any more cars) and signs telling us to park at (I believe) a Lion King-themed off-site parking area (which I had never heard of.) Realizing that the park was already getting crowded, and having already paid for a day pass to DCA, we wanted to get there ASAP, and a CM we asked told us that it would be about 30 min from Lion King to DCA drop off, and similar if we drove all the way back to the Toy Story lot. We ended up parking at Downtown Disney (note: I'm aware that you're not supposed to do this, but we panicked) and paid the extra $15 just for ease of mind. Prior to that trip in November, we had gone once in July and parked in Mickey & Friends with no issue, and the November before that had parked in Toy Story with no lines.

Knowing that the parks will be busy as its the summer months, and we're going on a Saturday, can anyone recommend what time to arrive to park at Mickey & Friends, or whether we should just suck it up and automatically park at Toy Story? I'm sure its a more of a preference thing, but the worrier in me is always concerned that the park will hit capacity before we get inside. (This comes from a friend who had a Deluxe AP, went on a random Thurs. afternoon, and was turned away - I originally thought if I bought the tickets ahead of time this would save us that grief, but that one story has scarred me for life.) Is there a way to find out if Mickey & Friends is totally at capacity before we get to the structure and realize it, and have to drive 4 blocks to another parking structure? (Parking at DL is also one of the only times I wish it was more like DW!)

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have!

Re: Disneyland parking - suggestions?

We generally go Sundays... so
    but I'd say, get there early... we've been in line 20 minutes early and they are parking... best way to be sure about the capacity issue too... Pity they don't sell cappuccinos and blue berry muffins in the parking lot, coffee cart?

only a couple times years ago, waited in line to park for a long time, not sure why.

I know, I got parked at ... don't remember the creatures name... down some long street, had to walk... meeting friends in the park, no tram there, it was hot I was tired by the time I reached the park. My knee had been hurting and I had not planned to be there all day..... no tram back, left earlier so I was not walking the streets in the dark... alone.... all alone in the parking lot too, I imagine there were cameras, but it was creepy.... so "not" Disney...
    I was not pleased.
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 06-02-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarify

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    My boyfriend and I are heading to DL on a Saturday this month (have yet to decide which.) The last time we went, in November, we arrived at the resort around 10 am, only to find Mickey & Friends parking totally full (or, at the very least, they weren't allowing any more cars) and signs telling us to park at (I believe) a Lion King-themed off-site parking area (which I had never heard of.) Realizing that the park was already getting crowded, and having already paid for a day pass to DCA, we wanted to get there ASAP, and a CM we asked told us that it would be about 30 min from Lion King to DCA drop off, and similar if we drove all the way back to the Toy Story lot. We ended up parking at Downtown Disney (note: I'm aware that you're not supposed to do this, but we panicked) and paid the extra $15 just for ease of mind. Prior to that trip in November, we had gone once in July and parked in Mickey & Friends with no issue, and the November before that had parked in Toy Story with no lines.

Knowing that the parks will be busy as its the summer months, and we're going on a Saturday, can anyone recommend what time to arrive to park at Mickey & Friends, or whether we should just suck it up and automatically park at Toy Story? I'm sure its a more of a preference thing, but the worrier in me is always concerned that the park will hit capacity before we get inside. (This comes from a friend who had a Deluxe AP, went on a random Thurs. afternoon, and was turned away - I originally thought if I bought the tickets ahead of time this would save us that grief, but that one story has scarred me for life.) Is there a way to find out if Mickey & Friends is totally at capacity before we get to the structure and realize it, and have to drive 4 blocks to another parking structure? (Parking at DL is also one of the only times I wish it was more like DW!)

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have!
    I am sorry to hear that you experienced this. What the CM told you was INCORRECT.

They were advising you to park in Pumba, which by the way is the BEST parking lot at Disneyland. It is NOT 30 mins away and its closer than Toy Story. They have these huge Coach buses that take you directly to to the resort, and it the fastest way to get in and out of the park. PLEASE NOTE, the coach bus will just be plain white or have old logos on it, no need to worry this is the correct BUS it will have a paper in the window saying PUMBA shuttle, its FREE and is provided by Disney.

The parking ls is located on Disney Way

The Busses will be waiting by the entrance like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BradleyC; 06-02-2013 at 11:04 AM.

We've thought about going on a Sunday, but since we both work on Monday's and its about an hour drive home, plus I like to max out as much time as possible (we always stay until closing time) going to the park on a Sunday would just be too much. That being said, we usually arrive at the park around 10:30. I think its time I convince my boyfriend to get up early and get to the park when it opens!

I know the Toy Story lot isn't too far from the park entrance (maybe a mile?) but they have shuttle buses. The other lot I had never heard of, I now realized, is the Timon lot, which is behind DCA - was that the lot you parked at? That is terrible you had to walk! I don't blame you for not being pleased.

*Note: I posted this before seeing BradleyC's update - the Pumba lot must have been what the CM was referring to.
    Last edited by iceicebergha; 06-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.

• SORCERER

We've thought about going on a Sunday, but since we both work on Monday's and its about an hour drive home, plus I like to max out as much time as possible (we always stay until closing time) going to the park on a Sunday would just be too much. That being said, we usually arrive at the park around 10:30. I think its time I convince my boyfriend to get up early and get to the park when it opens!

I know the Toy Story lot isn't too far from the park entrance (maybe a mile?) but they have shuttle buses. The other lot I had never heard of, I now realized, is the Timon lot, which is behind DCA - was that the lot you parked at? That is terrible you had to walk! I don't blame you for not being pleased.
    look at my previous posts, when in doubt park in pumba haha

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you experienced this. What the CM told you was INCORRECT.

They were advising you to park in Pumba, which by the way is the BEST parking lot at Disneyland. It is NOT 30 mins away and its closer than Toy Story. They have these huge Coach buses that take you directly to to the resort, and it the fastest way to get in and out of the park. PLEASE NOTE, the coach bus will just be plain white or have old logos on it, no need to worry this is the correct BUS it will have a paper in the window saying PUMBA shuttle, its FREE and is provided by Disney.

The parking ls is located on Disney Way

The Busses will be waiting by the entrance like this:
    [img]http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/76/18/98_big.jpg[/img]
    Thanks! I think what the CM was trying to say is that it would take 30 minutes to drive there from where we were (on the Downtown Disney side, near one of the resorts), pay to park, park, and take the bus back. Since we were right outside of Downtown Disney, we decided to risk it and pay the extra cost and park there instead. I'm sure it would have been fine, but having never heard of this lot before and not knowing where it was, I was a little apprehensive! I appreciate you posting the photo of the map, too. Now I have a better idea of where we should go if we realize Mickey & Friends is full.

Is Pumba always available? Or is that a everything-else-is-full-and-we're-panicking move by Disney? Other times we have gone, we've just seen signs directing us to Toy Story, but if Pumba is an option, I'd happily park there and walk to the park!

• SORCERER

Thanks! I think what the CM was trying to say is that it would take 30 minutes to drive there from where we were (on the Downtown Disney side, near one of the resorts), pay to park, park, and take the bus back. Since we were right outside of Downtown Disney, we decided to risk it and pay the extra cost and park there instead. I'm sure it would have been fine, but having never heard of this lot before and not knowing where it was, I was a little apprehensive! I appreciate you posting the photo of the map, too. Now I have a better idea of where we should go if we realize Mickey & Friends is full.

Is Pumba always available? Or is that a everything-else-is-full-and-we're-panicking move by Disney? Other times we have gone, we've just seen signs directing us to Toy Story, but if Pumba is an option, I'd happily park there and walk to the park!
    Yep its alway open, but lately Disney has been trying to fill this parking lot first, so its normally full by around noon.

I always travel north on 5 and get off the carpool exit (when I have more than 1 person in the car) for Disney way and try that lot first. If Pumba is full I just goto Toy Story. If your staying until close I try to not encourage Mickey and Friends as everyone races to the trams when the park closes and you end up waiting about 10 to 15 mins just to get on one, everyone is pushy shovey too. Toy story is more organized and is single file, and Pumba is always Walk on the bus with no line to wait in. Its pretty awesome. they also have TVs on the Pumba buses that sometime play Disney Classics for the short ride back to the parking lot. Its about a 2 mins bus ride. Toy story is about a 10 min bus ride depnding on how slow the driver is driving. and its a city bus.

We normally park in Toy Story, but tried Pumbaa for the first time last weekend. It was great!

Thank you everyone! This has been very helpful. It looks like from the map that the entrance is on Disney way, off of Harbor. Do I just take a left onto Disney way and it'll be obvious its Disney parking? I know - I'm full of dumb questions, but the last time we went we also pulled into the employee parking lot without realizing that's what it was, and I don't want to miss it!

• Under that tree again!

It doesn't feel so offsite, but Simba is the parking lot on the Southwest corner of the resort. It is the "L: shaped parking on the map above. It's about a 30 minute walk where as Pumba is 15 at conservative paces.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• formerly very helpful

Get yourself pre-approved for a loan to pay the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It doesn't feel so offsite, but Simba is the parking lot on the Southwest corner of the resort. It is the "L: shaped parking on the map above. It's about a 30 minute walk where as Pumba is 15 at conservative paces.
    Why walk from Pumbba? They have buses there.

I'd walk from Pumba just so I'd feel less guilty about the Mickey beingets I'll eat for breakfast, but that's just me. Sometimes I feel like I could walk to the park entrance faster than waiting in lines for the buses and/or trams, although it sounds like Pumba is a small lot, and therefore there may not be a long wait, or any wait at all.