Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• i believe in faeries.

bringing vs renting a stroller?

so we're planning a trip next spring (nothing like planning ahead, lol), and my son will be 3 1/2. he's starting to get to the point that he doesn't really like the stroller anymore, but he just takes off when not in it. we're going to be in SoCal for 2 weeks, doing a bunch of theme parks, but also pool days and beach days. i'm wondering if i should bring a cheapie stroller from home to save the $15 per day rental fee, (also then i can take it out of the parks after a long day) or if i should see how he does, and rent it as needed (and/or if needed)?
    what is your experience of going with a 3 year old? will they sit in the stroller if they're tired? how hard is it to weave through the crowds, and leaving it while going on rides/shows, etc?
    when i took my daughter for the first time, she was 4, and extremely over the stroller... i offered to rent her one and she was almost insulted at the idea, lol... but i think my son might benefit from the break, as he'll only be 3. thoughts?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: bringing vs renting a stroller?

Umbrella stroller was our best idea. Kids get tired at night and the umbrella was easy to lug around.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• #bringevilback

Yeah, go with an umbrella stroller...if you don't want to travel with it you can pick up one for $15-20 at target just down the road and toss it when you are done

Yes, definitely an umbrella stroller. Target is on Harbor Blvd, just south of DL. Good luck.

My kid is not a stroller user, but when we went in Dec he was 3 1/2 and used the stroller plenty. It's a lot of walking for a little kid and I was so glad to have it.

We brought one from home on the plane. I was super paranoid about having to do that but checking it at the gate was a cinch. No sweat! No extra charge, either. If you already have a stroller that's not too cumbersome I would just bring it along.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Are you driving to DL and taking the tram/bus each day or are you walking from a hotel?

If driving, renting a stroller saves the whole fold it up for the tram/bus. But you may want one if walking to/from the hotel.

Umbrella strollers are great!
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• i believe in faeries.

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    We brought one from home on the plane. I was super paranoid about having to do that but checking it at the gate was a cinch. No sweat! No extra charge, either. If you already have a stroller that's not too cumbersome I would just bring it along.
    i do have a couple of strollers, and do have experience with gate-checking it on the plane... i just don't want to be 'stuck' with it, or stuck without it, lol! the only problem with the cheapie umbrella strollers, is i'm too tall to push them comfortably, and i'm all hunching over the handles.
    anyone have experience renting them from the parks?

• ...and the Flowers Croon

The most important time for a stroller, IMHO, is leaving the park for the day. Odds are your son will be passed out cold, and having to return a rental stroller and carry him to the hotel when you're wiped out too will be a big drag.

We have done both. The park strollers are really nice in my opinion. They are more like jogging strollers with 2 wheels on the front. The advantage to those is that if you lose it or leave it empty someplace, you can just get another one at no charge. I can't stand umbrella strollers. I find them really uncomfortable to push. I love pushing the Disney strollers. Another plus to them is the cover. I can not count how many times I have had my kids take naps in them and with the cover I didn't have to worry about them getting burnt.

On the opposite side, bringing your own stroller means you don't have to worry about carrying an exhausted, sleeping kid back to your hotel. We did this once while walking to a hotel further down Harbor, never again! Also, since you are going other places, you might enjoy having your own along.

• i believe in faeries.

we're planning to stay at peacock suites, (my mom can use her timeshare points there) and according to mapquest, it's a bit of a hike, but the ART is right out front. i'm not as concerned about carrying a sleepy toddler, as that's what daddies are for, lol but seriously, the stroller would be nice at the end of the day. sigh. it's about 6 of one, half-dozen of the other, it seems.
    where the lockers are, at the gate... are any big enough for a stroller?

Found this information at: Disneyland Resort Guest Services, Kennels

Size/Price
    Small 12"x x 18"h x 12.6"d - $7 All Day (All locations)
    Large 12.5" x18 " x 19" - $10 All Day (All locations)
    X-Large 15" x 25 " x 19 " - $11 All Day (All locations)
    Jumbo 15" x 25" x 25" - $12 All Day (Inside picnic area only)

Super Jumbo 18" x 25" x 37" - $15 All Day (Inside picnic area only)
    Charging locker - $2 Per Hour (Disneyland location only)

The super jumbo might be big enough, but you would have to measure. Bear in mind, with using ART, you will have to fold that stroller before you get on, so it may be more frustrating than anything else.

As a daddy myself, I loved the feeling of my child asleep in my arms, but at the end of a long day at DL I am exhausted myself. Carrying that dead weight gets really heavy.

• i believe in faeries.

thank you for everyone's input and replies. i guess i'm just nervous and excited, and i want this experience to be as smooth as possible (for everyone). it's hard to imagine what stage he'll be this time next year (my daughter was a lot more of a 'little girl' when she was his age, and he is still very much a toddler).
    i think i'm going to hunt at target for a more 'deluxe' umbrella stroller, that is a little bigger and taller than those cheapie ones. even if he hates it, i'm kinda thinking 'locking' him in it would be a good idea at the airport (if nothing else) as he is a daredevil, climber, and a little caveman... lol

maybe a mix of both? if we choose to leave the stroller at the hotel, we can always rent one in the park...

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    maybe a mix of both? if we choose to leave the stroller at the hotel, we can always rent one in the park...
    I have absolutely zero experience with children at the parks, or even really using a stroller at all, so you may want to disregard my opinion but since I still have one I'll share it.

As an over-preparer/planner (my nickname is "anxiety girl" - the power to jump to the worst conclusions faster than a speeding bullet) I would actually go with the last thing you said. I would probably bring one along that is convenient to fold and carry, but leave it at the hotel for the parks. They have strollers to rent there, and if I decide we need one, I can always grab one from there and I've heard nothing but good things about their ease of use.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Based on experience I say bring your own stroller. It helps with lugging around jackets for cold nights and snacks. If you don't need it or get tired of pushing it park it next to an attraction I have yet to have anyone take anything from my stroller while parked. Then simply come back for it later. If the attraction gets to crowded a cast member may just move it to a different area no big deal.

• i believe in faeries.

i have heard tying something on the handle reflects ppl away from grabbing your stroller by mistake... i ended up caving and going to target for a deluxe-y umbrella stroller... not so much for the trip next year, but my main stroller right now is huge and bulky, and i've come to hate it...
    anyways... again, thanks for everyone's input. i think i'm going to bring it for travel (airports, connections and the like) and see how he does without it the first day in the parks. if i have to rent one, NBD, and i'll just remember to bring my own the next day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast