Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

How to reduce Stand-by lines

tell me your solutions!

here's a list of mine.

• discontinue AP and make them pay for muli-day tickets. this limits the amount of times a person can visit the parks cus some ppl visit the parks too much. problem solved. discontinuing AP reduces the crowds. how empty would Disneyland be without Annual Passes? very empty.
    • discontinue fastpass. they have to STOP the standby line to make room for FP. If Space Mt, Indy, Cali Screamin, etc had NO FP then the lines would be a constant flow with no long stops!
    • get rid of the wasted space and add more rides/attractions. this way the crowds can be spread out throughout the park. get rid of the Pooh Ride, Innoventions, Captain Eo, Mr. Lincoln. all these attractions were new/updated/brought back within the past 10 years and arn't popular at all.

EDIT ok.... my plans stated up above wont work BUT I got it!!!! create more private parties. The Halloween Private Party is worth the price of admission. YES! So how about add more Private Parties like Christmas, Pirate Princess Party, and other random parties. Maybe like 6 different parties per year.
    But other than that, I can't really see any other solutions. So what's the solution to cutting down on the Standby lines? there is none!
    Last edited by DannyLand; 06-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.

• Minion

Re: How to reduce Stand-by lines

Bring back the PeopleMover
    Create a weather machine that makes it rain more often at Disneyland.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    tell me your solutions!

here's a list of mine.

• discontinue AP and make them pay for muli-day tickets. this limits the amount of times a person can visit the parks cus some ppl visit the parks too much. problem solved. discontinuing AP reduces the crowds. how empty would Disneyland be without Annual Passes? very empty.
    • discontinue fastpass. they have to STOP the standby line to make room for FP. If Space Mt, Indy, Cali Screamin, etc had NO FP then the lines would be a constant flow with no long stops!
    • get rid of the wasted space and add more rides/attractions. this way the crowds can be spread out throughout the park. get rid of the Pooh Ride, Innoventions, Captain Eo, Mr. Lincoln. all these attractions were new/updated/brought back within the past 10 years and arn't popular at all.

FastPasses and AP's didn't exist in 1977, but I very clearly remember some very long and very slow lines on Space Mountain, Thunder.....all of the E ticket rides. Somehow I don't see parts 1-2 of your plan working.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

• SORCERER

tell me your solutions!

here's a list of mine.

You do realize FastPass System was designed to allow guests to experience more attractions during there visit? You have the ability to use Fastpass to its a Free service, this allows you to skip the standby line. In fact its limited to a certain amount of people every hour, which is why an attraction can run out of fast passes.So there is no reason to remove it, if you removed the system then the thousands of people that would of waited in the fast pass line would be iwaiting in the standby line. This would increase standby lines.

In fact Disney has stated themselves that
    "Through a self-selection process, Fastpass has reduced most standby lines," he says. "At peak times, our research shows the lines aren't any longer than before Fastpass."

They have all the numbers and stats, I don't think they would keep a system thats not sufficient for so many years.

Also Disney wont Discontinue AP, its a big money maker. They want there parks packed, if its not packed than there is less people to purchase items, and food. Almost all of the Cheap AP programs are blocked out on busy days, they are laos blocked out almost the whole summer. Only Premium is not, but there paying $670 per person per year just on admission alone.

Also adding more attraction has only proven to even further increase park attendance. Tearing out half the park all at once will end up hurting them later on as they wont have room to expand 10 years form now, and people will egt board with the attractions it better to have them spaced out.

The New MyMagic+ system should help you plan you vacation ahead and go on all the attractions you want with a fastpass, who knows, 10 years from now there may not be a standby line anymore.

Most of you ideas that you have created seem to consist of saying "screw everyone else, I want the park empty for me". I dont think this is in Disney's Vision unless you have the big bucks to have the park to yourself

I believe the My Magic system will help eliminate the issue of waiting and allow you to go on what you want with minimal wait.

Last edited by BradleyC; 06-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

• Closed Account

The biggest way to limit the stand by lines is to cut the number of people allowed to attend Disneyland each day "the maximum attendance". But, Disney would be stupid to do that because the more people in the park, the merrier.

My favorite way of reducing the stand by lines is to visit during the off season, or to visit popular attractions first thing in the morning. With proper planning, you will never wait over 30 minutes to ride anything at Disneyland. If you are among the people spending 1,2, or even 3 hours in line to ride a ride, then you are not planning your Disneyland trip at the right time of year.

As for your ideas:
    Getting rid of annual passes is never going to happen - in fact, it's likely that Disneyland will add additional levels in the future that include added things such as the special parties because people keep complaining about their additional costs. I wouldn't be surprised if we see all inclusive passes someday. Not to mention the fact that during the off season, the annual pass holders find themselves at Disneyland all the time, meaning more money in Disneyland's pocket.

Getting rid of fast passes - this would actually cause the standby lines to grow even longer, because there would not be two separate lines, everyone would be in line at the same time. Popular attractions could see wait times of 4-5 hours like Radiator Springs Racers if there were no fast passes. The great thing about fast passes is that any one can use them free of charge. If you aren't taking advantage of fast passes, then you are not making the most of your time at Disneyland.

Building more attractions - do you realize that this will increase the number of people in the park which will increase the lines? When a new attraction opens, the lines for other rides get shorter, however, eventually people will finish riding the new ride and then get in the lines for everything else. DCA is a perfect example of this with how their annual attendance has almost doubled since Cars opened.

• Minion

I remember last yr, Haunted Mansion Holiday didn't offer Fastpass for HalloweenTime. was the Stand-by line effected at all?

• Senior Minion

Adding capacity definitely works to shorten lines, the idea that you're always going to have huge increases in attendance from adding new attractions is just not bore out by history. If it were, we'd have a lot more new attractions than we do. You can't claim that because of one special case of DCA that attendance is always changed that dramatically. That park was completely reinvented over a five year period with an enormous marketing effort over that entire period. On the other hand, the 80's-90's E-tickets didn't really increase overall attendance at DL nearly so much, really the gains were pretty short term with very moderate overall gains. But Disney also dropped a lot of capacity over those same years, so the lines didn't shorten as much as they might have otherwise. But the lines should actually be a little better in DL, bringing back the stage show and expanding the Princess capacity are a nice addition of that won't nearly add as many new guest as they offset. Might not be obvious, but all the lines will be a little shorter because of those additions.

Fastpass does nothing to change capacity, but it does advantage those who know how to work the system. It's great for most of us on here, but it's bad for many of Disney's highest paying customers. My Magic+ will almost certainly change that so that the more you spend, the more benefits you'll get. The way it's set up, you'll actually be able to get fewer fastpasses total then any of us could have easily gotten by gathering them in the park. I will be absolutely shocked if very shortly on-site guests will get an extra FP or two and the luxury hotel guests more. It will probably be cheaper then opening early. Not sure if they'll go the whole nine yards and just charge for individual additional FP's and a "ultimate fastpass" where guests can pay to skip most of the lines. My guess is yes, they'll follow the industry and do so. My Magic+ is a perfect way to hide from the masses what benefits others are getting, not so tacky as the front of the line things at other parks, but it will basically turn into the same thing. So sure, you'll still get your "free" FP's but they'll be limited and soon you'll be waiting in even longer lines for your favorite attractions which are out of FP's by 10am.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

I remember last yr, Haunted Mansion Holiday didn't offer Fastpass for HalloweenTime. was the Stand-by line effected at all?
    See below:

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    In fact Disney has stated themselves that
    "Through a self-selection process, Fastpass has reduced most standby lines," he says. "At peak times, our research shows the lines aren't any longer than before Fastpass."

Probably not.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    The biggest way to limit the stand by lines is to cut the number of people allowed to attend Disneyland each day "the maximum attendance". But, Disney would be stupid to do that because the more people in the park, the merrier.
    THIS. Lower the capacity = lessen crowds. Let anyone with a ticket or an AP make a NextGen reservation to hold their place at the park for the day, and cap the capacity at 10,000 or 20,000 less. Disney will never do this, though.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    See below:

[/LEFT]

Probably not.
    Little Mermaid in WDW uses fastpass, doesn't that slow down the Stand-by line? & Toy Story Mania uses FP in WDW and doesn't in DCA. and their FP runs out within park opening. so it's a mystery.

So if Toy Story Mania in DCA started using Fastpass, it won't make the Stand-by line any longer?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Fastpass does nothing to change capacity, but it does advantage those who know how to work the system. It's great for most of us on here, but it's bad for many of Disney's highest paying customers. My Magic+ will almost certainly change that so that the more you spend, the more benefits you'll get. The way it's set up, you'll actually be able to get fewer fastpasses total then any of us could have easily gotten by gathering them in the park. I will be absolutely shocked if very shortly on-site guests will get an extra FP or two and the luxury hotel guests more. It will probably be cheaper then opening early. Not sure if they'll go the whole nine yards and just charge for individual additional FP's and a "ultimate fastpass" where guests can pay to skip most of the lines. My guess is yes, they'll follow the industry and do so. My Magic+ is a perfect way to hide from the masses what benefits others are getting, not so tacky as the front of the line things at other parks, but it will basically turn into the same thing. So sure, you'll still get your "free" FP's but they'll be limited and soon you'll be waiting in even longer lines for your favorite attractions which are out of FP's by 10am.
    Universal Orlando has a FOTL pass system where the service requires an additional fee but if you're staying at one of their deluxe hotels, you would get the service for free. This would be something to consider for Disneyland. The perks of staying at a Disneyland hotel do not really make the rooms worth their price unless you are staying at GCH. TBH, I think they should do this in Disneyland. It could give a boost in hotel reservations and maybe we'll finally see Disney's hotel presence expand from demand.

Not sure if such a thing would work in WDW though since the majority of guests already stay on property. (They would probably restrict it to Deluxe and DVC guests to have unlimited FPs).
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

-Extend park hours by 2hours during peak season (7am - 1am).

-Eliminate the parking privlage from the Premium pass and stop selling the Parking pass add-on's for lower tier passes.

- restrict all new AP entries into the parks after 5pm (SoCal passes only).

- (will never happen) Eliminate the Premium pass. If you want a pass with no blackout dates and parking, you must purchase the Premier pass.

- Only sell parkhopper tickets.

• Rock Star Minion

Find the cause of long lines, and eliminate those causes.

OK, what are the causes of long standby lines?
    1. High attendance, caused by too many people going to DL. Must be underpriced, or at least it is for half the guests (on average).
    2. Too many guests are willing to wait long times in the lines. This is the real issue. In the past, people were willing to wait hours to get on Space Mountain. It wasn't that the service times were slower (lower per-hour capacity). People of today are not going to wait that long. Maybe an hour or so. So, just get people out of the line somehow. Change their whole attitude about waiting in line for no more than 30 minutes. Then, no ride would have a line longer than 30 minutes. Easy.
    3. Conversely, you get society not to mind a two-hour wait for Space Mountain. Then, we could eliminate threads like this one. Easy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • *Experiment 999*

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Bring back the PeopleMover
    Create a weather machine that makes it rain more often at Disneyland.
    What he said

• The doctor is in

Eliminating the FP system, or severely updating it, would make a huge difference in standby wait times. I remember the days before FP and the lines are longer now than they were then.

I also think a crackdown on line cutting and GAC/ECV abuse would help, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast