Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sad Our family's first injury at Disneyland

As a father of a 22 month old son, I'm ashamed to admit my son was hurt yesterday due to my lack of better judgement. Due to his prematurity, he is much smaller than kids his age and is very behind in development. While at Disneyland yesterday, I was amazed to see him walking around Main Street for the first time. Usually, I'm overprotective and wanted him to hold my finger while walking. However, he insisted on walking by himself and I let him do so thinking that others in the area would give him the right of way. Besides, it was only a few months ago when a friend of mine let her 16 month son walk freely through the crowds during a very busy Holloween DCA night.

What a mistake! A little girl about 3-4 years-old walking in the opposite direction of my son pushed him to the floor with both hands. The scene must have seemed to take a few hours to unfold as he fell to the floor and hit his head on the the Main Street concrete. Others in the area heard the horrifying sound and were shocked. The mother of the small girl who pushed him immediately walked up to check if he was okay. I picked up my son and checked his injury if he was bleeding. A cast member checked on us and offered to give him a free lolipop. We kindly refused and kept our attention on our hurt son. He continued crying as my wife and I headed for the first aid station.

After over a hundred visits to Disneyland, this was our first visit to the first aid station between the Plaza Inn and Main Street. The staff took our information and gave us an icepack for his head. Eyeore even came out and offered him a candybar, but my son was in no mood to accept. The courtesy of the cast members that day made the event somewhat bittersweet. Although I'm certain there were some 'legal' motives behind their training, we were grateful in the treatment and concern we received.

As I type this post a day later, I'm still haunted by the event and hope my son didn't receive an injury that can go undetected. On a good note, he seems to be fine and was back to his mischief later that afternoon. I just wanted to pass on this information to the other parents out there for whatever its worth.
    Disneyland allows me to escape the everyday stresses and routines of a Southern Californian resident.

California Adventure brings me right back to the place I was trying to avoid in the first place.

Re: Our family's first injury at Disneyland

I know what it is like. Something similar happened to us but without the trip to first aid. We let our daughter walk around fantasyland, and another kid ran her down. The other kid was older and could have cared less at what he did. The parents didn't seem to care either. I remember telling them that at the very least they could have said sorry.

I knew it was my fault. But lesson learned. Stuff like that happens when you have a kid. My daughter is 2. She gets hurt. I would not worry too much about it. You are probably more worked up over this than your kid is.

The worse part is now we put her on a leash and I hate those things. We used to make fun of those people. But whatever, my daughter loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedIzDead
    I knew it was my fault. But lesson learned. Stuff like that happens when you have a kid. My daughter is 2. She gets hurt. I would not worry too much about it. You are probably more worked up over this than your kid is.
    Thanks for the additional perspective. I'm sure you're right. I guess most of the shock could be coming from the fact that my son hardly ever gathers up the courage to walk around in public. When he finally does, he get pushed to the floor. Who knows what could be happening at his daycare.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get accustomed to this as a parent.
    Disneyland allows me to escape the everyday stresses and routines of a Southern Californian resident.

California Adventure brings me right back to the place I was trying to avoid in the first place.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie from the 80s
    Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get accustomed to this as a parent.
    Don't beat yourself up too much over it. Gravity sucks and kids do get hurt. Unless there is a medical reason, I think you do more damage if you are over-protective.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

What kind of kid purposely pushes down another one? Ugh.
    I hope your son's ok.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Even the best parent in the world can't always protect their children from "life" (and you sound like a pretty great parent). I'm sure it was a heart-stopping momment, but if he was ok last night and today I'd bet the worst is over. If you're still very concerned just take him to get checked out, but my guess is the worst pain is the memory you have.

Thanks for the advice, all!

On another note, kudos to the castmembers who all seemed genuinely concerned about my son. They really helped the situation and the registered nurse on duty did her best to comfort us. Seeing eyeore stop by was priceless.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie from the 80s
    Seeing eyeore stop by was priceless.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Eyore was behind the entire incedent. I don't trust that donkey.

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

Smile Re: Our family's first injury at Disneyland

Eddie,
    It's nice to know that there are other parents that truly care about their kids. Often, I feel like I'm the only one, because of other parents rude comments about me "being mean" to my kids because I do my best to not let them do unsafe things, make sure they are under control, and most of all that they respect other people's property. I also make sure that they say thank you, or I'm sorry, etc when appropriate. Just be secure in the knowledge that someday, kids like yours and mine will make this world a better place!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

You might want to have him checked out to make sure he didn't receive a concussion. Depending on how hard his head hit the pavement, this might have happened. Couldn't hurt to have the hospital give him a look over. Just a thought. Hope he's feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    I wouldn't be surprised if Eyore was behind the entire incedent. I don't trust that donkey.

• Banned User

Aww I'm sorry about your son! How sad!

I don't mean this in any offense but I'm so protective of my nephew (he's now 4) that I always carry him or have him in a stroller. Maybe that's me being paranoid or just loving him too much but he's a little guy and I love him.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    Aww I'm sorry about your son! How sad!

I don't mean this in any offense but I'm so protective of my nephew (he's now 4) that I always carry him or have him in a stroller. Maybe that's me being paranoid or just loving him too much but he's a little guy and I love him.
    Although I'm not sure about this, toddlers will develop their neck muscles and reflexes at some point where they will instinctively tuck their head in when falling on their back.

Due to my son's young age, his front neck muscles aren't strong enough and his head always flops back when falling backward. At this stage of development, their poor heads are the first thing to hit the floor.

Thank goodness God/Evolution designed this part of the head strong enough. I believe the "soft spot" is located on the top of an infant's head and eventually hardens.

Keep in mind none of this is a professional opinion...

• Minion

Sorry your little boy had to go through that, and its unfortunate the way he was injured. He will get his confidence back though, with you there to reassure, (and run interference, armed with the knowledge that some kids will attack)!

• What we need. . .

My son was also born premature and even now at 13 months it is difficult not to be more protective of him than I was with his older brother. I'm an anti-bacterial gel monster!

I'm certain the First Aid station would have insisted on outside medical treatment if they were even remotely concerned about further injury - Hopefully not solely out of worry of litigation, but also concern for your son. Best wishes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast