How to make my summer Disneyland trip the best!

Hello! I'm pretty new to this, so I'm sorry if this is awful. I haven't had a family vacation to Disneyland in about 5 years. I have gone 3 times in the past 2 years though, but for other situations. I want to make this vacation the best that it can be, because this will probably be the last family vacation that we'll be having as a full family (Divorces suck). I went last summer with my ex but it was so crowded that it was almost impossible to get on anything we wanted. ESPECIALLY radiator spring racers. Due to the fact that it had just opened, the line was 2 hours long, and the fast passes were out 5 minutes after DCA opened. Indiana Jones was also having major malfunctions with the moving wall illusion, which lost the magic for me. Most of the rides seemed to be sped up too, which actually made them a little more interesting. I noticed the biggest difference in speed on pirates. It was really cool.

So I just got knee surgery a couple weeks ago and I won't be able to walk comfortably or normally for a long time. I'm going to use a wheel chair when we go. I've used it once before when my knee was acting up and I noticed that it was a lot easier to get on most Disney rides, but DCA actually seemed like it was longer and harder for wheelchair guests. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the wheelchair process better? Or any rides where it seems to have a really big advantage to have one? (I've noticed that Star Tours will sometimes let you take a side door which is faster, and then sometimes make you take the normal route. Does anyone know which one they're supposed to have you go through?)

I was also wondering if they've fixed the moving wall illusion in Indiana Jones. And if there's any other rides having malfunctions as well. I know that thunder mountain will be closed in summer (which sucks). Are there any other rides that will be closed?

Are the lines for radiator spring racers any better? Last summer was ridiculous and I'm hoping it'll be much better. I hope the fast passes aren't out as quickly either. I don't know of any special wheelchair entrance so I'm hoping to get fast passes.

Lastly is there anything special to check out? I really want to make this trip the best it can be. If anyone has anything special that they do when they go let me know! Or if there's something cool that you know of! Thank you!

If it helps I'm going July 11th through the 14th!

Re: How to make my summer Disneyland trip the best!

have you ever heard of the phrase "jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire", well..... you may have done that with your post here, I suggest that you do some research with the words Disneyland" "today show" 2013". This may help with lack of response to your questions, so my suggestion is to narrow and be specific with your questions.

The moving wall illusion was working off & on last month.

• #bringevilback

I'll take on your wheelchair questions... I recently had knee surgery so I have dealt with similar issues. I didn't go when I was on crutches at all, and I'm local so I could go for an hour or as long as I lasted. I personally used a rollater (walker with a seat) as I could walk ok but couldn't stand for long at all, plus it gives me stability in crowds of people that don't pay attention. It might be something to consider if you think you could manage as it is easier to get around.

With a wheelchair, walker, or other assistive device you do not need to get a GAC. Get a disability map when you enter and it will tell you where to go for each ride. Some rides are fully accessible, most in DCA, others are partially, like Star Tours where you wait in th regular line until the building where they send you up the elevator. Some rides end up taking longer than regular lines, others end up shorter. Your goal with the wheelchair should not be shorter lines but a more comfortable and pain free experience.

All lines will be shorter earlier in the day, so start early with big attractions and used FP to cut down the wait. Space should be a morning ride, as the WC line for that could easily be double the regular line later!

do you have any specific questions I didn't touch on?

good, informative post CassiefRN in these stirred waters!!!

As far a getting the most out of your day I would suggest that you use Fast Passes as much as possible and be sure to follow the times on them as they strictly enforce this now. For things like Radiator Springs Racers and other big attractions (Indy, Space Mountain, California Screamin, etc.) use the single rider line or if you have small children who can't ride these rides get a rider switch pass to cut your wait time. As far as things that you should see, the new Mickey's Magical Map show just opened and is worth seeing and the Princess Fantasy Faire if you like princesses or have someone in your group that does. However I suggest doing Princess Fantasy Faire when it opens to try to avoid the rush as the line will get VERY long.

Hope that helps!

You can check out some additional time saving tips here!
    A family's Disney tips and Information
    www.mousypants.com

• #bringevilback

Single rider line is great if your group is old enough to split up...especially for RSR, as they will send you to the accessible loading area to fill in seats there so you avoid the stairs at the exit.

You can find out which rides are currently closed (or planning on being closed) via the Disneyland website, under the calendar (which will also tell you the parks hours and any special events happening that day.) Last time I went, last fall, Space Mountain broke down for about 2 hours. The time I went before that, it broke down for 5. Sometimes these things happen and there isn't much you can do to avoid it. For this kind of situation, I recommend downloading the Disney Mobile Magic app - it'll tell you if an attraction is currently down, which saved us when we wanted to ride Space Mountain and realized it was closed, and were near Big Thunder (which we rode instead.) It also has a lot of other great perks, like an in-app map, character locations, and ride wait times.

IMHO, I think it is helpful that you'll be there for a few days. Then you can actually stop and enjoy everything, instead of feeling like you have to cram everything in to 14 hours (like I do!)

Oh, one more thing - if you're on a ride and something malfunctions or doesn't operate properly (say, the lights turn on, or something doesn't work, or the music shuts off), you can always ask to ride again when you're getting to the unload station. Worst thing that will happen is the CM will say no, but in my experience they've always said yes (they'd rather put you on the ride again then have you complain.) This happened last time I went and we had gone on Star Tours twice, and somehow, BOTH TIMES, we had the same exact trip. (I should have played the lottery that day, with those odds!) Anyway, as we were leaving, I asked a CM what the odds were to ride twice and see the same trip, and she was so surprised, she had me list all of parts of the variations we had seen. She then had us sit and wait about two more rounds of riders to go through, and then let us back on through the exit. I ended up being the stow-away spy for that ride, too! I suppose that's what I get for asking. But it was very nice of her and we got a variation we hadn't seen!