Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Al Report: The Reality of the Disneyland Explosion, D23 Expo, Fantasyland Updatings

From today's Micechat article:

MiceChat - Disney News, Disneyland Resort, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Mickey's Boomtown

Highlights Include:
    - Discussion of the reality of what took place during the Toontown "bombing" and the aftermath.
    - What's going on potentially this year at the D23 Expo
    - Soarin' Over the World/Condor Flats update could happen for 60th Anniversary
    - Alice closes next year to finally redo the outdoor structure
    - Fantasyland dark rides receiving major renovations for 60th
    Last edited by Right Ear; 06-04-2013 at 05:25 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Al Report: The Reality of the Disneyland Explosion, D23 Expo, Fantasyland Updatin

Can we start a save Soarin over California campaign? How in the world would that make sense for DCA. For me, that would be gutting the heart , soul and emotional tie I feel to the park. This would prove to me that TDA, or who dr would make that decision, realy have no clue what they are doing.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Al Report: The Reality of the Disneyland Explosion, D23 Expo, Fantasyland Updatin

But the plan to fix Alice that had been debated in both TDA and at WDI for the past several years brought attention to all of Fantasyland’s five classic dark rides. While they were all rebuilt for the New Fantasyland in 1983, and have received several nice technology upgrades over the last decade, they are still showing their age. The likely proposal now has Disneyland closing each dark ride for several months throughout 2014 and early ’15, starting with Alice, while installing upgraded animatronics, lighting and audio, plus all-new digital special effects. The result would be the classic Disney dark ride reborn for the 21st century, marketed to celebrate Disneyland’s 60th.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Can we start a save Soarin over California campaign? How in the world would that make sense for DCA. For me, that would be gutting the heart , soul and emotional tie I feel to the park. This would prove to me that TDA, or who dr would make that decision, realy have no clue what they are doing.
    A campaign could be started, but I do not think it would work. The problem is that the California theme they choose for DCA when they built it was a dismal failure like most people knew it would be. Who wants to visit California when you are in California? The answer, not many. Taking the Golden Gate Bridge down was sad, but the less California in DCA the higher the numbers, so I think that's the direction it will continue to go in.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Not trying to start anything, this is a serious question. If the California theme was a failure why did they not totally take California out by renaming the park? The C in DCA does still stand for California, doesn't it?

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Banned User

I get that and Im not arguing for a return to strict interpretation of the California theme. But the loose tie in is till there. Remember, the new overall theme of the park is supposed to be loosely tied to California when Walt arrived. That's why we have Buena Vista St. as the new entry. Also, people aren't showing up more because they are philosophically happy about an abandoning of the California theme, but because the park is so much more richly detailed, has better and more attraction and just overall is more Disney. The park still has the Monterey warf, the Sierras, Hollywoodland, The Winery area, so under these circumstances, changing Soarin over California to Soarin over the World makes no sense. Soarin is probably the most popular attraction in all of WDW, so I don't think the theme keeps people away and it fits in beautifully in DCA. Changing it would be ridiculous unless you have a 2 trip option, which won't happen.

• Minion

I'm all for getting rid of the current Soarin' Over California film, but not for Soarin' Over the World. It needs new scenes from California, that's all. The California setting should be kept.

Upgrades for the Fantasyland dark rides would be great.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Soarin...I'm tied on this on this one.

One of the one hand, I am extremely happy they seem committed to changing the theme of Condor Flats to effectively being an extension of the High Sierra theming of Grizzly Peak. I understand the history behind the current desert airfield theming (believe me, I live 40 minutes from Edwards AFB; I understand the history of aviation and their connection to desert airfields), but aesthetically speaking, the forested mountain look of Grizzly Peak would just be more effective in that small of a space, not to mention Cars Land now has the desert theming and does it MUCH more effectively. There are several mountain airstrips here in CA, so the theme works (I can send links to pictures in needed) and Grizzly Peak is one of the strongest areas of the park, aesthetically speaking, so I say good riddance to them expanding it.

On the other hand there's the actual attraction of Soarin. Soarin over California is such a beautiful film and tribute to the state. While a Soarin over the World film still fits the theme of the land and park. You're on an attraction meant to simulate flight, you could effectively leave CA and travel over all the worlds major sights; it would be great if it still started over the iconic Golden Gate bridge or even Yosemite, which fits the mountain environment of land, so the attraction starts and ends in CA. I'm totally against a new film, but do lament the loss of the current one. My biggest concern lies in the music. I hope they find some way to save Jerry Goldsmith's original, beautiful, and emotionally stirring music for the attraction. That music is part of the heart of DCA.

Sounds as if D23 will be yet another dud for parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    - Discussion of the reality of what took place during the Toontown "bombing" and the aftermath.
    This is the first report that dry ice "bombs" are (or were) a very common (daily) event, although generally afterhours or backstage.
    The media response to the event already seemed "overblown", but it now seems ludicrous that the CM is still in jail.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. I've been on Soarin' once. If it doesn't change, I'm not going on it again.
    With digital, I can imagine it being a different and random experience each time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

There is so much you can do with today's technology, just an HD upgrade over famous landmarks is sort of meh.

Star Tours showed that you can make random multiple adventures. I think they should think out of the box a bit and fly over CA during the gold rush era or early 19th century. So much you can do with digital these days. Take people someplace the cannot see today.

• Banned User

Why not just change the ending of Soarin' to feature the fly over Disneyland and DCA? Perhaps they should keep the California aspect of the attraction.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    There is so much you can do with today's technology, just an HD upgrade over famous landmarks is sort of meh.

Star Tours showed that you can make random multiple adventures. I think they should think out of the box a bit and fly over CA during the gold rush era or early 19th century. So much you can do with digital these days. Take people someplace the cannot see today.
    Change is always good in my opinion , so it's been a while for Soarin over CA , Disney has the technology to change it, so why not, they'll probably add different options to the attraction such as ST where you can take different adventures , if you're gonna raise prices every year then makes additional changes or enhancements every year.

• Banned User

Then lets change everything. I no it would be great, but Disney can't get into the business of constantly replacing or changing attractions to satisfy pass holders who go every other day and have ridden every ride 500 times. I think it's fairly obvious with everything taking place that Disney is trying to transformDLR into a destination resort and to move away from being overly reliant on season pass holder. They want big spending families who stay at the resort for 4-7 days. To that visitor, Soarin is one of the best attractions in the world. As proven by its popularity at Epcot. It also fits in perfectly on a thematic level at DCA. I think a digital transformation would be great.
    Last edited by planodisney; 06-04-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast