Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Attractions Height Restrictions

I've done some searching, but I haven't been able to find an attraction list with height restrictions. We're planning on visiting DLR in Feb, and I want to know ahead of time which rides my 4-yr-old can ride and which he can't. Anybody know where I can find this info?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Attractions Height Restrictions

Disneyland:

Matterhorn and Gadgets Go Coaster - 35"
    Space, Splash, Big Thunder Mtn, Star Tours - 40"
    Indy - 46"

DCA:

Tower of Terror, Soarin - 40"
    Mullholland Madness, Grizzly River Run - 42"
    Screamin - 48"
    Maliboomer - 52"

I think that's it.

• Clearing my Calendar

If you go to the Disneyland website and break down all the of the rides, the height requirement is in the details of the rides that require it.

Also, I know the Birmbaum books for WDW have the height requirements as well. So I'd assume the one for Disneyland would have them, too. It wasn't broken up into a simple chart (at least not in 2000) so it'd be the same work as the website.

Have fun on your trip!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

if you go to www.disneyland.com and you can select either Disneyland Park or Disney's California Adventure Park. After you have selected a park you can get a list of attractions, as they each have their own page with details about the attraction. And each pase will inform you of the height requirement. Although I have noticed myself it tends to be about 40 inches or so. Hope that helped!

That's why I love this board! Nowhere else could I have gotten multiple responses so quickly!

My kid is 36 inches tall, which technically disqualifies him from riding Splash and Star Tours, both of which he's been dying to ride. So I need a little advice from you CM's and experienced park visitors- is it possible for me to get him on those rides anyway? Do CM's really watch that close? The kid is 4 and in the 10th percentile for his age, which means that 90% of all other 4 yr olds are tall enough to ride those rides. Can I get a waiver from guest services? I can find a good pair of shoes that may add an inch to him, but that's probably as much as I can stretch the boy.

Any other ideas/hints/advice? If he won't be able to ride those two rides, I want to break it to him now, rather than at the gate- know what I mean?

• Circle of Ancients

Disneyland CM's are notoriously non-flexible when it comes to height restrictions. Meaning that if he is just a little below, he can't go on.

My son was the same way. He is turning 8 next month and JUST hit the 48" mark. He's been dying to go on rides for years that his sister could ride at 6. Although when we were at DCA in November, according to their height marker he wasn't tall enough.

And while at home your son may be 40" this doesn't mean that the height marks at the park are accurate. But the CM's will go by those only.

There are shoes you can get that will give him maybe 1 inch, but that won't be enough.

My advice, prepare him before you go so he isn't looking forward to riding Splash and Star Tours. There are PLENTY of other rides he can ride in the park.

Thanks, Clinksalot. Excruciatingly blunt, but thanks for the heads up. It may be 3-4 years before he'll get the chance again.

I think those markers are higher than they should be anyway. My buddy had a kid who he measured before-hand as 40", but the marker at Big Thunder was too high and they wouldn't let him ride. That night he bought a tape measure at Target and took it with him to the park the next day. When he pulled out the tape measure and showed the CM that the kid was indeed 40", she let him on no problem.

But then again, we were at DWR and my son was visibly tall enough to ride Stitch's Great Escape. We had gone on it several times until a different CM stood guard and argued for 10 minutes that he wasn't tall enough. We called over another CM, who gave his opinion that he was, so eventually they let him on.

I think I'll prepare my son to not go on those rides, but it won't hurt to try- even if I have to get allusive and creative with the CM's. Anybody know where I can get my son some high heels?
    Last edited by JungleBumCT; 01-23-2006 at 12:21 PM.

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

One trick my son used to do in his "shorter" days, was to go to the bathroom before a questionable ride, and put a balled up piece of toilet paper in the heel of his shoe. Done correctly, he could add about an inch to his height, and this got him on the rides about 90% of the time. Also, if you place the kid in a group of people, as opposed to by himself, he will be less noticeable.

Just remember - You didn't hear this from me!

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT
    Anybody know where I can get my son some high heels?
    Maybe at the Libby Lu store in Downtown Disney, but do you really want to go down that path?

True story: We took our younger son just before his fourth birthday, he was just shy of 40". We had him wear cowboy boots with cardboard stuffed under his heel in the boot. It worked for a while, but towrds the end of the day the cardboard compressed and he was no longer able to ride those rides .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBumCT
    That's why I love this board! Nowhere else could I have gotten multiple responses so quickly!

My kid is 36 inches tall, which technically disqualifies him from riding Splash and Star Tours, both of which he's been dying to ride. So I need a little advice from you CM's and experienced park visitors- is it possible for me to get him on those rides anyway? Do CM's really watch that close? The kid is 4 and in the 10th percentile for his age, which means that 90% of all other 4 yr olds are tall enough to ride those rides. Can I get a waiver from guest services? I can find a good pair of shoes that may add an inch to him, but that's probably as much as I can stretch the boy.

Any other ideas/hints/advice? If he won't be able to ride those two rides, I want to break it to him now, rather than at the gate- know what I mean?

They can be pretty strict, on Calif. Screamin, I took my son,WHo was finally tall enough for it on the first enterence at the begining of the Que w/ the CM,The just before we were about to board another CM wanted to check his height. He seemed to be tall enough then the CM took out a Credit card and was able to barely get it through so he said he could not go. My son started to cry and others in line were chanting let him on he is tall enough, Then after pleading and trying another height sign he was tall enough so they let him on, much to his delight. Thank goodness.He had been waiting for so long.

• No Longer The Candidate

My son was exactly at the 48 inch mark for a while and on some rides he would make it and others he wouldn't. On the Mummy at USH it would depend on which sign they used to measure him. He had a pair of roller sneakers (where the wheels tuck into the shoe) that when he wore them he was guaranteed to make the height.

- Duplicate Post -
    Last edited by DifrntDrmr; 01-23-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Yet another duplicate post. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by DifrntDrmr; 01-23-2006 at 01:24 PM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Disneyland CM's are notoriously non-flexible when it comes to height restrictions. Meaning that if he is just a little below, he can't go on.
    Because if DOSH has someone spying on CMs that day and they let someone who doesn't match up to the height marker on, they can shut down the ride and rain fire and brimstone on Disney for a safety violation.

I'm sorry for those of you who have children too short to ride attractions that are 40" but please don't take it out on the CM's for one and two PLEASE do NOT do something that could compromise your childs safety. The height restrictions were put in place based on tests done specificly to measure whether or not a child or even a small adult could safely ride the attraction. Doing such things as stuffing shoes, making them wear platforms in order to ride and trying to hide them not only puts your child in harms way but as someone stated could also lead to the attraction being shut down if that child boards. i'm always apalled at what parents will do to try and get their child on a ride. no joke i have witnessed a parent with an infant attempt to sneak their child on a rollercoaster underneath their jacket. my best advice is let the kid know ahead of time there are rides that are only meant for big kids and not be too dissapointed if they don't make it. a good CM will try their hardest to get the child to stand up straight and make the mark. but please think about the childs safety before their momentary happieness.
    i have no idea

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast