Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 2012 Theme Park Attendance Numbers have Been Released

Looking at the numbers a few things stand out:

Yes, DCA's 22% is impressive, but I actually think USH's 15% is more impressive due to the fact that it's just for 1 ride, not a fully re-designed park and an entire new land. Imagine what's going to happen when Potterland opens? And really, DCA's is really 21% if you subtract the 1% Disneyland lost. Also, both were only open 6 months. Next years will reveal staying power.

Waterparks seem to be having the most innovation recently and it's sad that the CA waterparks just don't seem to be catching on. None are in the top 20 Worldwide and the only one in the top 20 in North America is Raging Waters. The market is ripe for something new!!!

Odd that Knott's dropped 4%. I fully expect that number to increase this year though. I'm sure that 4% can be directly attributed to the fact that all SoCal parks had major additions last year except for Knott's.

The 4% increase at SFMM probably means the Xtreme park is here to stay.

I'm really happy to see the inclusion of Museums this year.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 06-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.

• Artistic integrity

I have a question -

Disney does not release attendance figures. They never do. They never have.

So, how are we to know the true figures?
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• A Happy Haunt

With HP coming to USH prices will rise...
    has anyone priced a day at USH? It's not worth it. Nor is it worth it annually.
    Really.
    a couple of rides ... Neat. But a whole day, or annually... Nope.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I have a question -

Disney does not release attendance figures. They never do. They never have.

So, how are we to know the true figures?
    I know somebody explained it in past years, there is some kind of algorithm they use which turns out to be pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    With HP coming to USH prices will rise...
    has anyone priced a day at USH? It's not worth it. Nor is it worth it annually.
    Really.
    a couple of rides ... Neat. But a whole day, or annually... Nope.
    Disagree. Unlike many other parks, a visit to USH and especially the tram can provide a very different experience on every visit. Depends on your driver, your host, which area's of the backlot are open or closed due to shooting, you could see them shooting a TV show or movie, etc.

I don't think somebody could visit USH every week like some people do at Disneyland, but it's at least a 2-3 times per year visit right now. And once Potter opens, who knows.

I've always thought USH drew a proportionately higher number of tourists than DLR and so their 15% increase was a reflection of both Transformers opening and the general increase in tourism.

I actually find the Knotts number alarming. Even though they should see a bump this year you gotta wonder how well they will be able to compete if USH and DLR continue to add more major attractions.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well this destroys any of the people saying the price increase are need...seeing how Disneyland had a drop

DCA only had a rise because it got a NEW land and E ticket....my theory is with the price up again this year DCA will have less visitors then last year too

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    I've always thought USH drew a proportionately higher number of tourists than DLR and so their 15% increase was a reflection of both Transformers opening and the general increase in tourism.

I actually find the Knotts number alarming. Even though they should see a bump this year you gotta wonder how well they will be able to compete if USH and DLR continue to add more major attractions.

Thats what happens when you go a very long time without a major addition to the park.

Universal, Disney, and Six Flags will be bombarding the SoCal market with their recent/new attractions this year. So I expect a further drop next year for Knotts. And if they do get a bump, it will be a very small one.

• Circle of Ancients

Even though Knott's dropped 4% they still had 700,000 more visitors than SFMM. Granted, those numbers include Haunt and Knott's is only closed on Xmas day. SFMM is only open on Weekends from Sept to Spring Break (except for Xmas week).

If you factor all that in it's probably not that big of a difference considering all of the nights of Haunt and Fright Fest not being separate admission.

• Banned User

DCAs numbers will be up for 2013, not down as someone predicted. They are already running way, way ahead of the first 5 months of last year. Should be just under or around 9 million and that is considering all factors.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Even though Knott's dropped 4% they still had 700,000 more visitors than SFMM.
    SFMM is located on the outskirts of the metropolitan region and appeals to only a narrow segment of the population. KBF is more centrally located, appeals to a broader demographic, and attracts many tourists who are in the area visiting DL. KBF really should be pulling in a lot more visitors than it does. It's not even the most attended Cedar Fair park anymore, having been surpassed by Canada's Wonderland.

• Minion

8 out of the top 10 are Disney. It's no wonder they don't mind staying content. Even with all the additions to USO it will be tough for it to crack the top 5 IMO. In fact looking at the List I can't imagine USO picking up 3 million people in a year to catch DHS even with the additions they are putting in. IOA isn't getting any new updates is it? Even if it did it needs and extra 1.5 million to reach DHS. Disney will always be the first choice for families at least in my opinion those numbers pretty much show that.

This makes sense. My gf loved RSR, so we rode it twice.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    What blows me away is that if you look at attendance patterns over the last few years, USH has actually had a bigger percentage increase than DCA. Im stunned by that.
    There is nothing special about that, just like there is nothing special about the increase in IOA compared to any of WDW's parks.

10 to 11 is 10% growth

20 to 21 only %5 growth

Places with smaller attendance can have larger % of growth easier.

Compare McDonalds to Five Guys.

Coke to Vitamin Water.

DVD to Blue Ray.

Iphones to Windows Phones.

The kings are still the champions because they have a huge base.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    With those numbers if I were Disney I would be worried. Knotts and USH are looming on the horizon and if Disney doesn't do anything major those parks are going to get even more popular - especially with HP coming up, and Knotts continually making improvements. And with Disney's less-than-stellar attendance the future might not be so rosy as is usually assumed on these boards.
    Why would Disney be worried about competitors that are half to a quarter of their attendance?

Knotts updates are great and everything but no average American is flying cross country to check out a refurbed log flume. The log flume will be great to keep guests but I wouldn't expect a huge attendance flux without them. Knotts doesn't even make top 25 theme parks in the world! Let alone compete with Disneyland at #2.

And Universal's most attended domestic park still gets less than half of Magic Kingdom. Its clear that Disney World is the main draw for Orlando, its just a matter of the other parks prying away families for a day or two to Universal, SeaWorld, etc.

Sure Knotts and Universal are improving but they pose absolutely zero threat to Disney in terms of attendance numbers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The 4% increase at SFMM probably means the Xtreme park is here to stay.
    It was really only in danger during the real estate boom of the mid-aughts when Six Flags announced in 2006 that they were considering the sale of several properties, one of which was SFMM. The city and/or county were not amused and started talks to keep it going and whether or not that influenced it not being on the list of properties eventually sold in 2007 I do not know. 2006 was the year of Tatsu and in the past 6 years alone they'd added Goliath, X, Deja Vu and Scream so it's not like they'd been noticeably neglecting it (though maybe those additions weren't performing as well as they'd hoped).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast