Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 2012 Theme Park Attendance Numbers have Been Released

The problem with Knott's attendance is probably due to Disneyland's close proximity. Yes, it's much more inexpensive but if you ask any family which they'd rather go to, 9.5 times out of 10 they'll say Disneyland. That means Knott's loses out most of the time.

If Knott's was in Riverside County, I guarantee you that the numbers will be better from that local market. If people are going to make the drive and be that close to Disneyland.. once again, they'll choose Disneyland.

Six Flags being a coaster park benefits from that group at least making a point to visit once a year with a coke can. Knott's is too much of an identity crisis... it's part historic landmark which only offers two rides worth while, and then the rest are crazy coasters or carnival rides. You're bored by noon whereas Six Flags you'll at least have coasters to ride most of the day.

Universal Studios has a lot of shows, word class attractions and a tram. Even though it's still half a day park, it has more of that "oh, we have to go there" edge over Knott's.

Ask anyone on the street to name a Disneyland, Universal, and Six Flags ride and they'll probably be able to do it. Ask them to name a Knott's Ride and they'll go "Log ride?" and be stumped to name anything else. Heck they probably wouldn't even be able to come up with the name Calico. It's all in the marketing. Knott's isn't doing a good enough job selling their park or making it appealing to the masses.

Just my opinion.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    With those numbers if I were Disney I would be worried. Knotts and USH are looming on the horizon and if Disney doesn't do anything major those parks are going to get even more popular - especially with HP coming up, and Knotts continually making improvements. And with Disney's less-than-stellar attendance the future might not be so rosy as is usually assumed on these boards.
    I dunno...at least in CA the Disneyland Resort pulled in 7 million more visitors that USH, SeaWorld, Knotts, and Magic Mountain combined. That's some pretty hefty dominance of the marketplace!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli (also attributed to Mark Twain)

Statistics can be manipulated to mean whaterver you like... just look at how many different ways multiple posters have interpreted the numbers.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• former CM

Random Reactions:

Judging from posts on this thread, there's a bit of excitement over the growing presence of Harry Potter in Universal's American parks.

I'm surprised the horrible Disney studios park next to Disneyland Paris is attracting as many people as it has been. This park needs a DCA makeover times two.

Raging Waters in San Dimas is in bad shape. It could use a new owner and three water coaster rides. I bet a really great, new, world-class water park in California could be #1. Help us, Schlitterbahn! You're our only hope! Well, Disney could top Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach with a Disneyland Resort water park with enough indoor rides to make it open year round, but, nah, better to spend that money on MagicBands.

Yay, free museums!

Vatican: "Blessed are the poor, unless you want to visit our museum. Then pay or feel a little uncomfortable. Hey, it's on you if you feel uncomfortable not making a donation."
    (I spent five years teaching at Catholic schools earning less than my public school counterparts. I'm entitled to kid the church. )

The western, midwestern, and southern American states have no museums in the international top 20. Stay classy, California.

The improvements in DCA will c o
    n t i n u e to cause attendance increases in 2013, 2014 and beyond. Or at least increase revenue if Disney's price increases continue to outpace inflation. (In recent years--like since the mid 80s--Disneyland Resort prices increased substantially more than inflation and American income levels. It's weird that this annual report doesn't get into revenues, but that would be like sports sections covering revenues. Not what we fans want.) A great development like WWoHP or Carsland can continue to increase attendance via word of mouth since some parents don't want their kids to feel left out of an awesome experience. I'm basing this on Universal Orlando, which might be a flawed comparison since after they opened the WWoHP, UO has kept improving dramatically. The Disneyland Resort might do this, but might not.

A large theme park with free or low admission (pay for the rides inside the park) in a large city in China or India could shoot to number one without being very impressive.

How lazy & greedy does Disney World have to be to start losing guests?
    Stay tuned.

MagicBands will be a real game changer! Everyone is thrilled by this exciting, incoming technology.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-05-2013 at 12:32 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    SFMM is located on the outskirts of the metropolitan region and appeals to only a narrow segment of the population. KBF is more centrally located, appeals to a broader demographic, and attracts many tourists who are in the area visiting DL. KBF really should be pulling in a lot more visitors than it does. It's not even the most attended Cedar Fair park anymore, having been surpassed by Canada's Wonderland.
    I don't think that really makes a difference. SFMM is Six Flags flagship park on the West Coast.

As I mentioned, if you take out the extra operating days and Haunt from KBF, that 700,000 is probably closer to 400,000. Maybe even less.

I still think USH's numbers are the most impressive for me.

With the overcrowded DCA park, I'm shocked DCA numbers weren't higher. Is it lack of attractions for people to be on? Dead corners of the park? Poor layout? Lack of ElecTRONica?

But with good Cars Land word mouth I expect more and more people to try DCA again who vowed "never to go back"

Everyone spending the time and money to get to Southern California should get the most out of their trip with stops at USH and/or Knotts for experiences DL does not offer. Fingers crossed the log ride will give the park a major boost (it sure looks cool)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Disney’s Upgraded California Park Draws 23% More Visitors

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-more-visitors

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

The western, midwestern, and southern American states have no museums in the international top 20. Stay classy, California.

I don't know where that came from but it's false!

Virgin Vacations | 16 Top Museums of the World

# 7 is in Los Angeles
    # 16 is in Chicago

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I still think USH's numbers are the most impressive for me.

I'd have to say the majority of Universal's attendance is tourism. Locals tend to go to Universal on average once every five years or so, with a smaller few that go once a year even. I know that they pretty much force an annual pass on people but most people don't make the repeat trip.

Also one thing to think about, Universal has never come close to Disneyland's attendance and that's perfectly fine with that. Their capacity is nothing compared to Disneyland and they're EXCEEDING their target attendance already for the last several years. They're happy as clams with what's going on and with the added Harry Potter expansion, capacity will certainly open up a tiny bit but not THAT much. Their attendance will go through the roof when that happens and the game will be changed.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't know where that came from but it's false!

Virgin Vacations | 16 Top Museums of the World

# 7 is in Los Angeles
    # 16 is in Chicago

Thanks for that post & link, CA Adventurer! But Virgin just used the word "popularity," so could it have been influenced by the popularity among their staffers. And it's "Virgin," so perhaps their research didn't go all the way. Maybe they wanted to attract readers to cities where they land.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'd have to say the majority of Universal's attendance is tourism. Locals tend to go to Universal on average once every five years or so, with a smaller few that go once a year even. I know that they pretty much force an annual pass on people but most people don't make the repeat trip.
    you would be very surprised how many people ACTUALLY make the repeat trip.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    you would be very surprised how many people ACTUALLY make the repeat trip.

Hehe well... I'm sure it's more than I'm thinking but I am one of those who do make the repeat trip.

....but I think I'm in the minority overall.

I guess 1.1% went to DCA first.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Thanks for that post & link, CA Adventurer! But Virgin just used the word "popularity," so could it have been influenced by the popularity among their staffers. And it's "Virgin," so perhaps their research didn't go all the way. Maybe they wanted to attract readers to cities where they land.
    Fair enough, but I would have listed these museums in about the same order. And I wouldn't have ever thought the Getty in Los Angeles would be missing from such a list.

• When Will It Return?

Animal Kingdom outdrew Hollywood Studios. That should raise a few alarms about DHS. The fact that no Six Flags park can make the list isn't really good for that bunch.

Islands of Adventure reigns as the only 2nd gate to outdraw its neighbor, but Tokyo DisneySea is once again the highest attended 2nd gate in the world.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast