Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: One Good Reason They Raised Prices... Possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Good questions. Especially considering that Disney has proved itself incapable of fixing longstanding glitches in its Annual Passport computer system, or even keeping its websites working properly.

Similar questions were asked of Disney by a member of Congress, who was haughtily blown off in a letter by Bob Iger.
    True indeed. Disney has proven repeatedly that handling the technology aspect, in terms of personal information, databases, and their websites it's not their strong suit. I got so ticked off with "Oops" errors on their websites that I started using other websites for the information I needed. They don't even keep their calendars up to date. Handling everyone's personal information from credit cards to their entire identities does not sound like something that Disney should even attempt.

• Monorail Junkie

WOW, such negativity towards something that hasn't been rolled out completely yet and is most likely going to have several tweeks to it before it is up to the companies satisfaction. Give it a chance before you condemn it, Disney would not dump millions into a program that is doomed to fail right out of the gate.
    I am sure there are plenty of answers to all of the questions that everyone has asked. One big one is what happens if the band get wet? the answer to that is they are water proof, the pictures and things I have read about them show that they are. There are different sizes for adults and kids and different colors also. They are meant to be reused.
    Will Disneyland get them? everything I have read says yes they will, but it is years off before we do. So I would not worry about it until it actually does.

Like I tell my son, there are positives in everything.

• Artistic integrity

Here's what I surmise is the reason for this price hike ... which Wiggins has explained much better than I .............

It's not just this hike ... but all the others ... stemming from once Michael Eisner came on board -

Make bigger profits to appease stockholders and make the Disney Co. look better on Wall Street.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    WOW, such negativity towards something that hasn't been rolled out completely
    I understand all the negativity. It means - All the spontaneity to a day at the parks is all gone - To planning out - practically everything. Almost commando style. Where you will eat, when you eat. What rides you will ride, and when. What shows you'll see, and precisely when. And on, and on it goes. How much this will impact stand-by lines .... hard to know. But I think stand-by lines now ... are negatively impacted enough .... by the current fastpass system.

If this is the "21st Century" way of spending a day at a theme park ... forget it! There's no fun at all - when everything is planned out from the moment I arrive.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

...Disney would not dump millions into a program that is doomed to fail right out of the gate.
    Sure they would. The first step in doing so is to convince themselves they can't fail.

*cough* DCA 1.0 *cough*
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Break out the tinfoil hats, everyone!

• Closed Account

WOW, such negativity towards something that hasn't been rolled out completely yet and is most likely going to have several tweeks to it before it is up to the companies satisfaction. Give it a chance before you condemn it, Disney would not dump millions into a program that is doomed to fail right out of the gate.
    I am sure there are plenty of answers to all of the questions that everyone has asked. One big one is what happens if the band get wet? the answer to that is they are water proof, the pictures and things I have read about them show that they are. There are different sizes for adults and kids and different colors also. They are meant to be reused.
    Will Disneyland get them? everything I have read says yes they will, but it is years off before we do. So I would not worry about it until it actually does.

Like I tell my son, there are positives in everything.
    And yet Disney pumped millions of dollars into the original DCA with a California theme and it did fail, which is why they came up with the new DCA. Disney dumps millions of dollars into programs left and right that fail. But, they have a lot of winners also, so it remains in prospective. I read an article about the new annual passes at Disney World earlier this year that used the swipe technology, would be interested to hear how those are working out, since they use a fingerprint reader also. Sea World tried fingerprint readers in San Diego and it was an ultimate fail.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

San Diego is still using fingerprint technology. They do not keep your fingerprints on file, just the number of points, as I understand it. So anyone using the pass needs to match it. ( I only know this because we are looking to buy tickets for Sea World San Diego today and they mention it on their site)

For me I don't wish to be tracked with my visits. So I see it as a positive if it should be implemented and fail!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    San Diego is still using fingerprint technology. They do not keep your fingerprints on file, just the number of points, as I understand it. So anyone using the pass needs to match it. ( I only know this because we are looking to buy tickets for Sea World San Diego today and they mention it on their site)

For me I don't wish to be tracked with my visits. So I see it as a positive if it should be implemented and fail!
    Yes they do use the fingerprint technology still at Sea World San Diego, but it doesn't work 99% of the time. If your finger is sweating, you are stressed, you have goosebumps, etc the fingerprint reader doesn't register your fingerprint. So they have all of these extra gate people to slide your card the old fashioned way when the fingerprint doesn't work. There are many gate keepers who don't even attempt the fingerprint thing because it produces so many error messages.

See,

I see the positive aspects of better metrics. With each park patron effectively becoming a data agent. The plethora of data generated by patrons can be used to model better theme park design. Eating habits. Bathroom habits. Shopping habits. Which can lead to more effective management, eliminate ticket scams, better margin control and better staffing. You might think that RFID and park member geo location is a bad thing, but it can be used for so much good.

If an area of the park is suddenly getting congested, rapid response traffic control teams can be dispatched to ease park congestion to areas. Popup entertainment attractions to draw people away from congested areas can be dispatched from the entertainment departments.

If a particular refreshment cart is getting overwhelmed due to the proximity of an attraction drawing greater than average numbers that day, maybe a portable cart could be dispatched to help bring refreshment to park patrons faster.

The opportunities to bring a higher more personalized more enjoyable experience are essentially boundless with high quality live metrics.

From the user perspective scheduled experiences could easily solve the disabilities and GAC problem.

More customized user experience means happier park patrons. One size fits all might have been king in he past, but highly data driven business is what drives pretty much all service industries at this point. There is little point in avoiding it.

In fact, when it does fail, which is a good thing btw, it will just serve as a better example for an improved version which will inevitably follow.

You can put your head in the sand, but better metrics can make for a better experience for everyone.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Sure they would. The first step in doing so is to convince themselves they can't fail.

*cough* DCA 1.0 *cough*

it sure did lol

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I dont need a bracelet to make the day better....I want new rides, lands, and shows

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Some of my best park experiances were not planed out 3 months before my vacation. I do not think that this will better my experiance at all.
    Agreed.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    If an area of the park is suddenly getting congested, rapid response traffic control teams can be dispatched to ease park congestion to areas.
    Disney doesn't need MagicBand+ to do that, they can already determine congested areas with realtime reports from onsite CMs. "Rapid response traffic control teams can be dispatched to ease congestion areas" only if Disney hires, trains and staffs such teams -- which it won't.

Popup entertainment attractions to draw people away from congested areas can be dispatched from the entertainment departments.
    Disney would have to spend the money to hire "popup entertainment attractions" for such occurrences -- which it won't.

If a particular refreshment cart is getting overwhelmed due to the proximity of an attraction drawing greater than average numbers that day, maybe a portable cart could be dispatched to help bring refreshment to park patrons faster.
    Disney already can determine that information with realtime data from cart sales and realtime reports from CMs. Portable carts can be dispatched to crowded areas only if there are sufficient CMs to staff them (there's that hiring-training-staffing issue again), and if the crowds are thin enough to allow the carts to be rolled to the onstage site in the first place (an unlikely possibility if the crowds are "overwhelming").

From the user perspective scheduled experiences could easily solve the disabilities and GAC problem.
    Not without Disney hiring and training additional staff to police the ever-increasing occurrences of GAC fraud.

The opportunities to bring a higher more personalized more enjoyable experience are essentially boundless with high quality live metrics.
    That's assuming that Disney will hire, train and assign the extra customer service staff to deliver such "boundless" experiences -- a big assumption, given Disney's decades of declining customer service and cutting back on staffing levels.

You can put your head in the sand, but better metrics can make for a better experience for everyone.
    You can make believe that MagicBand+ is motivated by Disney's desire to "make a better experience for everyone," but what it really betters is Disney's cash flow. Disney is not a customer service company, it is a media marketing corporation that is motivated purely by profit: it sells its theme park products to the greatest number of customers at the highest possible price while spending the absolute minimum on employee staffing, training and customer service.

Disney is a corporation that cancels its employee Christmas parties at the same time it upcharges its customers for Halloween; the idea that it would spend a billion+ dollars on NextGen and MagicBand+ "for the customers' benefit" is fantasy. There is nothing in the last 25 years of Disney's theme park operations to suggest that the various versions of MagicBand+ will operate under anything but the same business philosophy of squeezing more dollars out of more customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I dont need a bracelet to make the day better....I want new rides, lands, and shows
    Exactly. MagicBand+ enables Disney to push greater numbers of customers through the same rides, lands, restaurants and shows faster and more efficiently -- like the flow of parts through a modern factory. They'll ballyhoo the "personal service" angle as a come-on to sell you the MagicBand+ product, but in reality it's a mass marketing technique to push more people at the same time through the same theme park infrastructure.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I understand all the negativity. It means - All the spontaneity to a day at the parks is all gone - To planning out - practically everything. Almost commando style. Where you will eat, when you eat. What rides you will ride, and when. What shows you'll see, and precisely when. And on, and on it goes. How much this will impact stand-by lines .... hard to know. But I think stand-by lines now ... are negatively impacted enough .... by the current fastpass system.

If this is the "21st Century" way of spending a day at a theme park ... forget it! There's no fun at all - when everything is planned out from the moment I arrive.
    Its probably different from someone from socal who can go when they want, but for those of us out of state who have to plan a big production to do "a day at the park", planning is essential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast