Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do you think it costs?

How much do you think it costs DL for each F! show they put on?

Yesterday, I heard one guest tell another that she read all about it, and it costs $5 million each time. I'm thinking that number is a little off. They went on to muse about ticket price increases, and that the $5 million per episode expense must be the cause.

Re: How much do you think it costs?

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    How much do you think it costs DL for each F! show they put on?

Yesterday, I heard one guest tell another that she read all about it, and it costs $5 million each time. I'm thinking that number is a little off. They went on to muse about ticket price increases, and that the $5 million per episode expense must be the cause.
    F! ? Fantasmic? If so... 5 million per show... no. That actually made me LOL.

Fantasmic! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that Wikipedia is some confirmed source, but Fantasmic is $75,000 per show.

Let's put it this way. The show services an average of 15,000 people. If every single one of these people paid for a one day pass to the park, there is $150,000 in gate receipts. But many of them did not pay for a one-day, or at all that time (AP), etc etc.

I am actually surprised to read it costs $75k (I would have guessed 10-15), but now it makes sense why they only do it on the weekends. It's an expensive show.

I think $75K sounds high, but not like $5 million.

I was able to walk up to the railing and watch it as it was starting Monday night. It was the first time I'd seen it in 10+ years. It's good, but not $75K good, IMO.

I haven't seen it in 10+ years myself, so I can't evaluate. Last time we went mid-week and I was sad it was not running (but, not surprised anymore). Hopefully I can catch it next time, if it runs on Sundays.

• the rockawho?

all those numbers seem to be greatly inflated....

15,000 guests per showing is way too high....thats like having a hockey stadium full of people watching fantasmic....i believe the true number is far less than 15,000

and 75,000 for it seems way off as well....the reference on wikipedia is an outdated website whose facts are based on "he said she said" type of opinions..

i would estimate about 20,000 per show.....

i think their fireworks shows a few years ago cost about 25,000

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    all those numbers seem to be greatly inflated....

15,000 guests per showing is way too high....thats like having a hockey stadium full of people watching fantasmic....i believe the true number is far less than 15,000

and 75,000 for it seems way off as well....the reference on wikipedia is an outdated website whose facts are based on "he said she said" type of opinions..

i would estimate about 20,000 per show.....

i think their fireworks shows a few years ago cost about 25,000
    I'd have to agree. Those numbers seem way too high. However, 20k per show might be closer to the truth. In fact, that's probably being generous in the estimate of overhead for the show.

I work in the technical performance industry, not with Disney, but I'm going to have to go with 15k -20k sounds a bit more accurate. And that would include the unioned salaries that go to the employees who run it. Your standard sporting event fireworks show cost an avg. of 8k, so it would make since that Disney's fireworks would avg. 20k plus.
    All my opinion as I'm very new to Disney (but quickly becoming an addict )

• formerly very helpful

I think it comes down to basic math. Disney has figured out how much they feel the show makes for them in an average night. The show must cost less than that in order to be profitable. If it wasn't, Fantasmic would have gone away a long time ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

There was a thread on this and everyone in that thread was reposting it was about 22-26k ?

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    Let's put it this way. The show services an average of 15,000 people. If every single one of these people paid for a one day pass to the park, there is $150,000 in gate receipts. But many of them did not pay for a one-day, or at all that time (AP), etc etc.
    Um, that would be $1,500,000 in gate receipts if we're talking about $100 per one-day pass.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    There was a thread on this and everyone in that thread was reposting it was about 22-26k ?
    This is the number that I have always heard.

• The Tomorrowland One

Well, lets see...

~50 performers (45 regular, 5 stunt)
    ~16 stage techs
    ~12 show support (yes, different from the techs)
    ~12 costuming
    ~6 attractions
    3 assistant stage managers
    2 Disney firemen
    1 stage manager
    1 choreographer
    1 boiler opoperator
    some number of pyro techs

And that's is just the people I can think of directly involved with the show. Now you also need to account for the amount of guest control people in the viewing area and other backstage support that helps with the show but is not directly involved.

And my numbers are likely a little off, but that's about what I think they are.

And that is just the people cost. What's the hourly cost of running the Columbia and the Mark Twain? The three show barges? The amount of power the show uses?

So maybe that $75k is the per night cost of running Fantasmic with each show sitting around $22k to $27k...?

Based on my experience in the event industry, $15-20k seems appropriate. Your basic costs are the union stagehands, pyrotechnicians, makeup artists, costumers, stunt performers, and stage managers. Add into that Disney's historically underpaid cast members from the entertainment and crowd control teams and the cost of supplies like pyrotechnics, fuel and other consumables and those numbers are probably on target.

Running two or more shows on one night will also lower the per-show cost as most employees (especially union) have a minimum length of time they can be scheduled for.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Um, that would be $1,500,000 in gate receipts if we're talking about $100 per one-day pass.
    /facepalm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast