Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Look at map and tell me it wouldn't affect disneyland and DCA?
    The map you're showing isn't a design from Disney but the personal artwork of Micechatter Randy, who did a great job on it. If you're going to use it, please give credit where it's due.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Of course it could work, but not with the same marketing strategies DLR has used in the past. The park would have to break new ground, be able to capture the worlds, yes the worlds, interest and imagination. This couldnt be a park designed to get local aps to spend extra days at the resort.
    I would love to see something original, but lets just look at one possibility as an example of 1 park that would be failure proof.
    A park with the quality of TDS. A massive Star Wars area but maybe with mini lands. A marvels area, but themed to a never before seen level of theming for a super heros land. Of course there would have to be much more, but the idea would have to be to make the park so huge, and I dont mean size, that people from all over the globe would be dying to visit the park. It has to be a park that would take the DLR brand global. Its absolutely possible, but it would have to be at a level above any current stateside park.
    Im sure Disney knows this and i dont think are anywhere near the point of determining if they want to make that step.
    Completely agree with this assessment. A real third gate would need to be something fantastic like TDS...for very good reasons.

The only reason to add a third park in the So. Cal. area is to create a swirling vortex of anti-potter as Universal adds Potter to its California location. We will begin to see Univeral making a run at Disney with this as soon as it is completed, much as it has happened in Florida, and Disney will have to respond as DL and DCA are much more vulnerable to this strategy than the Florida Park complex is (for a number of different, complicated reasons), yet Florida itself has actually seen a drop in days attended since Potter opened.

This is going to be interesting to watch, and frankly, I think Disney needs someone to compete against so they get up off their collective 'laurels' and realize they are not invulnerable. Competition in anything is desirable to bring about the best possible results.

• Minion

Disney should own the Gardenwalk mall and rename it Uptown Disney, and should extend the monorail system to connect all 3 parks, all parking lots and all Disney-owned hotels. I hope the third park reduces lines at the other 2 parks!

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The map you're showing isn't a design from Disney but the personal artwork of Micechatter Randy, who did a great job on it. If you're going to use it, please give credit where it's due.
    I Did!

While a third gate would be awesome I just don't know how it could happen logistically with the parking situation. I mean they could build another parking structure but I still don't see how a parking structure could bring back as many spaces as they had before let alone the increased amount spaces required for the increased amount of guests a 3rd gate would bring.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I personally don't think Disneyland Resort here in California could sustain a 3rd gate as much as people think. Tokyo Disney Resort and DLR were in the exact same spot; local based park expanding into territories with parks, resorts, shopping districts, etc. Except Tokyo realized this would probably be their one big shot as there simply isn't insane amounts of land and, more importantly, tourists to populate a 4 park mega complex like WDW.

If a park was built that quickly (5 to 7 years is very very soon) then I do think DCA would see a stunt in growth while DL would just increase. But there's lots of unknowns to us anyways, so the only ones that have any idea are at TDA.
    I'm with you on this. If Accountaneer's articles are an indication of anything, throwing in a third gate into the mix would only make budget balancing throughout the resort worst and it's already struggling in that area as it is. I just don't want DLR to be in a similar position as WDW where growth is stunted in numerous areas and maintenance is falling behind as there is not enough in their own budget to keep the important stuff maintained annually.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

What you aren't taking into account is that the whole idea of a third gate, and the only reason to build one, is to bring in destination tourists at levels DLR has never even dreamed about. this would make DLR economics a WHOLE different ballgame. Accounting would be in a whole different place and at a WHOLE other level. You couldn't extrapolate current finance rules and practices in the same way, out to DLR with a 3rd gate. It would be TOTALLT different. Im guessing, if the park we are saying would be necessary got built, tourists would increase somewhere in the 500-1,000%.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
    The only reason to add a third park in the So. Cal. area is to create a swirling vortex of anti-potter as Universal adds Potter to its California location. We will begin to see Univeral making a run at Disney with this as soon as it is completed, much as it has happened in Florida, and Disney will have to respond as DL and DCA are much more vulnerable to this strategy than the Florida Park complex is (for a number of different, complicated reasons), yet Florida itself has actually seen a drop in days attended since Potter opened.
    Potter is big, but it is not going to suddenly spawn 10 million more people a year to Universal Hollywood. Hollywood can't even support that. 3rd gate would have nothing to do with Potter, as WDW didn't make a sudden move for a 5th gate.

You can't compare TDR with DLR because TDR receives a neglible amount of international tourists, with something like 95% of its visitors from Japan. What few international tourists they get are primarily from China and S Korea, and even those numbers will likely diminish after Shanghai is built. DLR falls somewhere in the middle of WDW and TDR in the proportion of tourists vs locals.

And don't forget that a 3rd gate at DLR would draw interest far beyond the West Coast since it'll most likely become Disney's only North American showcase for Marvel characters.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Disney should own the Gardenwalk mall and rename it Uptown Disney, and should extend the monorail system to connect all 3 parks, all parking lots and all Disney-owned hotels. I hope the third park reduces lines at the other 2 parks!
    I like all these ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    While a third gate would be awesome I just don't know how it could happen logistically with the parking situation. I mean they could build another parking structure but I still don't see how a parking structure could bring back as many spaces as they had before let alone the increased amount spaces required for the increased amount of guests a 3rd gate would bring.
    You are right, they need more parking structures but also HSR...

And other ways to bring visitors by rail.

Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

And to have visitors staying a few days in their hotels (third park).

• Banned User

The fact that Disney made no attempt to buy out Gardenwalk when it was for sale at a ridiculously dirt cheap price, makes me wonder if they have any intention of expanding in a big way.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Potter is big, but it is not going to suddenly spawn 10 million more people a year to Universal Hollywood. Hollywood can't even support that. 3rd gate would have nothing to do with Potter, as WDW didn't make a sudden move for a 5th gate.
    I think you are missing the point. It isn't massive moves that make the difference here. The fact is, since Potter was spawned in Orlando, people are staying less time at Disney resorts and there has been a corresponding increase in numbers at Universal. The reason Disney hasn't responded in any meaningful way is because I honestly think they don't quite know how to respond, and frankly, I feel they are in denial in a lot of ways.

A third gate will indeed need to be something inspiring and different than has been added before to the resorts there in order to drive traffic that is new and different, not just recycled visitors from the other two parks, and believe me, Universal IS making a run at Disney's traffic. They are deliberately trying to steal away the same customer base that Disney has, otherwise why would they bother to build Potter in California at all?

dont think a third gate will be added to Dlr. There is simply no room and TDA is not buying up property. Their is currently not enough parking in anaheim for the two parks we have. Look for a seperate Marvel themed park to open in the next 10-15 years but away from Anaheim and with Virtual rides instead of actual experiences. even with Hp and the new springfield USH is not any threat to DLR except for annual pass holders. Most guests will still stay in anaheim and trek to universal for a day there is simply not the infrastructure to handle the volume of guests DLR attracts. BTW their is no way TDA is going to turn TOY STORY parking into a third gate. Where in the world would people park?

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by dzny13 View Post
    dont think a third gate will be added to Dlr. There is simply no room and TDA is not buying up property. Their is currently not enough parking in anaheim for the two parks we have. Look for a seperate Marvel themed park to open in the next 10-15 years but away from Anaheim and with Virtual rides instead of actual experiences. even with Hp and the new springfield USH is not any threat to DLR except for annual pass holders. Most guests will still stay in anaheim and trek to universal for a day there is simply not the infrastructure to handle the volume of guests DLR attracts. BTW their is no way TDA is going to turn TOY STORY parking into a third gate. Where in the world would people park?
    yes parking is the way need to go first, that's why I said 5 to 7 years but there's plenty of parking space around the resort, the Streetcar is coming to the city of anaheim in the next 3 years
    which will ease traffic around the resort! And that streetcar will send guests directly to the 3rd gate and the convention center! But of course all of this needs to happen first , and disney needs to take the first action by funding these projects themselves that will benefit them in the end!

• Banned User

Well, TDA obviously must have a plan for parking because their original intent was indeed to open a third gate. They said it themselves. Things changed when the DCA expansion wasnt the success they projected.
    There is actually alot of space for ground breaking new lands within the current 2 parks to realy send the DLR to the next level.
    The area behind ToT, ITTBAB area and Bugsland is a fairly large plot of land. Also, while I love the Grizzly play area for my kids, thats on awfully valuable, and large section of land to be a play area. Combine that area with the section where Goffys coaster is and you have another nice plot.
    In DL you have the Frontier property available for expansion and land in betwee TL and Main St.
    For me, the real problem is not enough quality places to stay. Not enough actual resorts. GCH and DLH are very nice, but by tourist standards, most of the hotels around the resort are not acceptable. For me and my family, the hotel(resort) is as important as the parks. We spend 1 day in the parks and then one day enjoying our resort. We never spend 2 consecutive days in the parks. Best Western Park Place and HoJo just dont cut it. When you compare Anaheim to Orlando or Las Vegas, it realy is a joke. I realy think buying the land that Gardenwalk resides on would have been a great place for a Disney mid-priced resort and another upscale like GCH.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast