Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 96
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    376

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    The map you're showing isn't a design from Disney but the personal artwork of Micechatter Randy, who did a great job on it. If you're going to use it, please give credit where it's due.
    I think it is a wonderful map. Are we really going to get a giant orange squid (bottom right)?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

  2. #32

    • Seeker of Fun
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    I know this has been discussed, but with a 3rd gate is there any disjointed property? It appears that there might be some hold out land or land that's gapped by Harbor. Any thoughts?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

  3. #33

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I know this has been discussed, but with a 3rd gate is there any disjointed property? It appears that there might be some hold out land or land that's gapped by Harbor. Any thoughts?
    The map posted in this thread by Randy Savage is made on the land known to be owned by Disney (the Toy Story Parking Lot, formerly Hiroshi Fujishige's Strawberry Farm.... The proud and determined farmer refused Walt Disney Co.'s multimillion-dollar offers for his 56-acre farm for two decades before they obtained this land...)

    That said, there are some properties at Katella and Harbor that seem like they would be on Disney's radar. Both the corner adjacent to the future Park Three and those just behind Carsland/Tower of Terror, where there are two motels and a 7 Eleven.

  4. #34

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I think it is a wonderful map. Are we really going to get a giant orange squid (bottom right)?
    I think that's a volcano as viewed from the air.

  5. #35

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by dzny13 View Post
    Dont think a third gate will be added to Dlr. There is simply no room and TDA is not buying up property. [There] is currently not enough parking in anaheim for the two parks we have. [There] is no way TDA is going to turn TOY STORY parking into a third gate. Where in the world would people park?
    You are assuming they need to park guests in a paved lot and use up acres and acres for a parking lot.

    The seldom used Pumbaa lot (behind the motels on Harbor) plus some of the industrial buildings behind it, has been considered a potential location for a second Mickey and Friends Garage. It could have direct access to I -5 and in this way, guests arriving from the South or East would park in the new garage and the original Mickey garage would grab people coming in from the north. Mickey could be expanded on either the north or south side.

  6. #36

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    510

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    I would love to see a third gate as long as it continued the tradition of being highly themed/immersive. My biggest concerns:

    1) Infrastructure/Traffic - Anaheim would be incredibly challenged to handle the traffic impact. Disney would likely have to find property offsite where guests would be monorailed or bussed in ala the Magic Kingdom. Not sure that property exists anywhere in Anaheim.
    2) Quality - Has Disney learned from the mistakes of DCA 1.0 and will they build the park that has to be built. I'd prefer it wasn't a park of metal Marvel themed rollercoasters though the only place I'd want Marvel to pop up in any big way is in this 3rd gate (but that's a whole other discussion)
    3) Support - Will the AP population or guests patterns overall be able to support at 3rd gate? It is possible that making the park more of a destination resort ala WDW, will start drawing more people from the midwest that previously visited WDW. Had Japan not already had 2 amazing parks while China gets it's second, there may have been a draw from the Far East. But at this point, I wouldn't bother coming to CA if I lived in that region of the world, at least not to visit the DLR.

  7. #37

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    510

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    If I may: Are we talking about a top caliber park that exceeds DisneySea, Shanghai ?
    or Walt Disney Studios in Paris, or the opening day DCA?

    The correct answer for each scenario has already been given above, posts 2 and 4.
    Completely agree. If you build quality, people will come.

  8. #38

    • Unhelpful User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cerritos Ca
    Posts
    711

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I would love to see a third gate as long as it continued the tradition of being highly themed/immersive. My biggest concerns:

    1) Infrastructure/Traffic - Anaheim would be incredibly challenged to handle the traffic impact. Disney would likely have to find property offsite where guests would be monorailed or bussed in ala the Magic Kingdom. Not sure that property exists anywhere in Anaheim.
    2) Quality - Has Disney learned from the mistakes of DCA 1.0 and will they build the park that has to be built. I'd prefer it wasn't a park of metal Marvel themed rollercoasters though the only place I'd want Marvel to pop up in any big way is in this 3rd gate (but that's a whole other discussion)
    3) Support - Will the AP population or guests patterns overall be able to support at 3rd gate? It is possible that making the park more of a destination resort ala WDW, will start drawing more people from the midwest that previously visited WDW. Had Japan not already had 2 amazing parks while China gets it's second, there may have been a draw from the Far East. But at this point, I wouldn't bother coming to CA if I lived in that region of the world, at least not to visit the DLR.
    Anaheim has already approved a streetcar project to transport guests from anaheim stadium to the disneyland resort and as you know right next to Anaheim Stadium is huge amount land that can be used as Parking for that reason look at map

  9. #39

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    It's true that when the streetcar connects Disneyland Resort to Amtrak/High Speed Rail/Metrolink trains at the ARTIC center, FEWER guests and cast members will need a place to park their car.

    We've been discussing this for years on this thread:

    Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

  10. #40

    • Can Only Wish For More!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    747

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    But the street car is exactly that, a STREET CAR! Traffic conditions will affect the speed and capacity of the street car.

    Disney, when they build a third gate, will figure things out and everything should be ok. Mickey and Friends is "supposed" to be expanded towards Downtown Disney, and Pumbaa is getting a structure. Simba could afford to have a structure built and then maybe Disney could find a way to connect all three structures together.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

    She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

  11. #41

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,679

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I'd prefer it wasn't a park of metal Marvel themed rollercoasters though the only place I'd want Marvel to pop up in any big way is in this 3rd gate (but that's a whole other discussion)
    Who said that the only way to do Marvel was with coasters?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  12. #42

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    510

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Who said that the only way to do Marvel was with coasters?
    I don't believe anyone did. I certainly didn't. I just said no Marvel coasters.

  13. #43

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    The parking and transportation problems can be solved with the land Disney already owns. They already bought the property to the north of Pumbaa which combined with Pumbaa itself is a huge piece of property. They already have a parking structure designed and they have enough land to also include an adjacent stop for the street car. The parking structure will be five stories, one less then M&F, but actually have a slightly larger footprint but a bit smaller capacity. The street car will have a dedicated lane through the resort area, along Disney Way and all the way down Harbor to the Convention Center. As others have said, they also have a plan for expansion of M&F as well.

    The idea is that they'll eventually be able to keep much more cars off of Harbor. In the past Al's also talked about them possibly moving the drop-off area for the resort to Pumbaa and building a high-end boutique hotel in the current drop off and tram area. They would build an elevated moving walkway that would take you over Harbor and drop you off in the esplanade. This would obviously keep almost all park related vehicles off Harbor, which would be good.

    There's also one more spot they could possibly acquire for an additional parking structure for the third gate, (If they don't own it already). There's a mobile home park or two just to the east of the third gate land that has a long history. About eight years ago there was a SunCal housing project that was approved for that site. Disney and some of the other resort businesses put up a huge fight with the city. They said that housing should not go into the resort district, eventually the project was killed, apparently because the property's owners decided not to sell, but who knows what really happened. In any case, despite some discussions years ago about other developers being interested in the site for hotels, not much has happened. It really makes me wonder if Disney didn't already buy it secretly and is just using a property manager until they're ready to build.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  14. #44

    • No Disassemble!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    795

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    But the street car is exactly that, a STREET CAR! Traffic conditions will affect the speed and capacity of the street car.
    My brother in law is an engineer for OCTA and IF the street car project makes it through this last speed bump (there's an issue over taxpayer responsibility that needs to get worked out) most streetlights will be programmed in such a way that it will ensure that the street cars have as smooth of a trip as possible. Most likely it's the automobiles that may suffer first. But then again, the street car really is supposed to reduce traffic in the resort area anyway.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

  15. #45

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The parking and transportation problems can be solved with the land Disney already owns. They already bought the property to the north of Pumbaa which combined with Pumbaa itself is a huge piece of property. They already have a parking structure designed and they have enough land to also include an adjacent stop for the street car. The parking structure will be five stories, one less then M&F, but actually have a slightly larger footprint but a bit smaller capacity. The street car will have a dedicated lane through the resort area, along Disney Way and all the way down Harbor to the Convention Center. As others have said, they also have a plan for expansion of M&F as well.

    The idea is that they'll eventually be able to keep much more cars off of Harbor. In the past Al's also talked about them possibly moving the drop-off area for the resort to Pumbaa and building a high-end boutique hotel in the current drop off and tram area. They would build an elevated moving walkway that would take you over Harbor and drop you off in the esplanade. This would obviously keep almost all park related vehicles off Harbor, which would be good.
    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    There's also one more spot they could possibly acquire for an additional parking structure for the third gate, (If they don't own it already). There's a mobile home park or two just to the east of the third gate land that has a long history. About eight years ago there was a SunCal housing project that was approved for that site. Disney and some of the other resort businesses put up a huge fight with the city. They said that housing should not go into the resort district, eventually the project was killed, apparently because the property's owners decided not to sell, but who knows what really happened. In any case, despite some discussions years ago about other developers being interested in the site for hotels, not much has happened. It really makes me wonder if Disney didn't already buy it secretly and is just using a property manager until they're ready to build.
    This is news. Although, I don't particularly favor rezoning residential to commercial - I also don't think the residential areas should encroach on the Resort District.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Help me Blue Sky the area connecting DL/DCA and the 3rd gate
    By Mojave in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
  3. The effects of Micechat on Disneyland and DCA attendance
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
  4. How has the mainteance been going?
    By GhostHost2 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
  5. How to "Plus" Disneyland and DCA without much capital
    By CAspace in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •