Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    My brother in law is an engineer for OCTA and IF the street car project makes it through this last speed bump (there's an issue over taxpayer responsibility that needs to get worked out) most streetlights will be programmed in such a way that it will ensure that the street cars have as smooth of a trip as possible. Most likely it's the automobiles that may suffer first. But then again, the street car really is supposed to reduce traffic in the resort area anyway.
    Thanks for this, hopefully you can keep us updated on any developments you hear about.

• Banned User

The street car won't reduce traffic. Traffic is caused by the masses of people who attend the Convention Center where there is no other route of driving your car on Katella Blvd. Disneyland traffic was already handled by the Mickey and Friends parking lot with direct access to the 5 freeway. The street car is a nice idea for tourists, but not to anyone else. I also expect it to be expensive to use on a daily basis especially on a short route.

The biggest problem with street cars is it looks like it is designed for tourists who have different needs than locals. Locals need dependable service in rush hour traffic (6 to 9am and 3 to 5pm). Tourists need reliable service in the late morning and up to the evenings to get back to their hotels. Unfortunately, mass transit doesn't do so well in the off-hours. Frankly, as a tourist, I will not feel safe in a mostly empty street car in the evening in Anaheim with service every 15 minutes, which is what you'll expect in the off-hours.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Frankly, as a tourist, I will not feel safe in a mostly empty street car in the evening in Anaheim with service every 15 minutes, which is what you'll expect in the off-hours.
    Are you some kind of weenie? Waiting 15 minutes in the warm air of summer for a trolley in a well-lit Disneyesque stop just outside the parks? What's to fear?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Are you some kind of weenie? Waiting 15 minutes in the warm air of summer for a trolley in a well-lit Disneyesque stop just outside the parks? What's to fear?
    The street car is visiting many locals stops, not just Disney. Will you visit a nice restaurant on Harbor or Katella? Not all stops are well lighted. Who is wearing that hoodie in the back seat? Takes 15 minutes to wait for the next street car at 8pm. Did I miss it? The neighborhood areas around Anaheim is not the most pleasant places to visit.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The street car is visiting many locals stops, not just Disney. Will you visit a nice restaurant on Harbor or Katella? Not all stops are well lighted. Who is wearing that hoodie in the back seat? Takes 15 minutes to wait for the next street car at 8pm. Did I miss it? The neighborhood areas around Anaheim is not the most pleasant places to visit.
    Try taking the Metro Blue Line back to Los Angeles from Long Beach. Then we can talk about unpleasant places to visit.

• Banned User

Try taking the Metro Blue Line back to Los Angeles from Long Beach. Then we can talk about unpleasant places to visit.
    I went on it. It is unpleasant.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I went on it. It is unpleasant.
    Well, you see? The Blue Line just barely meets the threshold for me, but they are working on it.

However, the Anaheim streetcar goes from the Convention Center, to the parks, to the stadiums and the new train station. It doesn't go through any scary areas and the stops in the Resort District near Disneyland will be well-lit, safe and secure.

• Unhelpful User

Well, you see? The Blue Line just barely meets the threshold for me, but they are working on it.

However, the Anaheim streetcar goes from the Convention Center, to the parks, to the stadiums and the new train station. It doesn't go through any scary areas and the stops in the Resort District near Disneyland will be well-lit, safe and secure.
    And probably monitored by 24/7 surveillance camera!

• Banned User

How is the Blue Line working on it? The cities surrounding the Blue Line is still the same ratty cities.

Anaheim is scary. There are parts of Anaheim more scary than where the street car goes, but that is another story. Again, Disneyland is expected to be well-lit and you said it again.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    And probably monitored by 24/7 surveillance camera!
    Your mugging on camera. A new souvenir item.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How is the Blue Line working on it? The cities surrounding the Blue Line is still the same ratty cities.

Anaheim is scary. There are parts of Anaheim more scary than where the street car goes, but that is another story. Again, Disneyland is expected to be well-lit and you said it again.
    Blue Line in Long Beach Getting Security Upgrades, Paint Job

Metro agreed to install TAP Card validators at all eight Long Beach Blue Line stations, and by the end of the year, the agency will upgrade all station canopies, adding safety signage, and repainting all stations. Maybe most importantly, especially to those who say the line is fraught with ne'er-do-wells, Metro agreed to add "four additional Sheriff Deputies every day who will be patrolling the Long Beach stations by foot" and "four additional Security Assistants every day who will be checking fares at Long Beach stations. While Metro's subway stations are all in the process of adding locking turnstiles, many of the system's above-ground light rail stations are impossible to gate because of spatial constraints, but Metro is looking into whether it can add any to the Blue Line. Garcia says he's looking forward to Metro upgrading the Blue Line track, purchasing new rail cars (in about three years), and working on signal issues so the train moves faster between LA and Long Beach.
    Blue Line in Long Beach Getting Security Upgrades, Paint Job - The Commute - Curbed LA

• Unhelpful User

I was born and raised in the blue line area of Los Angeles where the Florence stop is, and believe me Anaheim is Paradise compared to South Central Los Angeles and I always felt safe there but that's just me. So please don't complain about Anaheim especially the Resort District about being unsafe.

Believe me when all set and done with the street car and the 3rd gate across the street security will be so tight and secure it'll be one of the safest places in the world!

• Banned User

Why not complain about Anaheim being unsafe? No one wants to be a statistic. Just because South Central is significantly more unsafe does not mean Anaheim is safe. It should be noted that tourists could be considered easy targets.

As for security, I haven't had much confidence with security and they usually show up after the incident.

• Banned User

I'm happy for Long Beach, but Long Beach has a few stations (not just one) and the Blue Line still goes through the worst areas in South L.A. and it doesn't get better until Downtown L.A.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm happy for Long Beach, but Long Beach has a few stations (not just one) and the Blue Line still goes through the worst areas in South L.A. and it doesn't get better until Downtown L.A.
    Fair enough. I hope you'll check out the Mass Transit to Disneyland Resort thread, where we discuss the progress of various transportation projects throughout Southern California:

Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Getting back to the subject here, the Anaheim street car might not be for everyone. But it could be practical for Disney Cast Members, who could come down to Anaheim by rail and make a quick transfer. And for day trippers. And European visitors up in L.A. who might come down if it didn't mean renting a car.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast