Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Unhelpful User

How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  140.4 KBOk let's assume a 3rd gate was built in the next 5 to 7 years and disneyland and DCA keeps getting the attendance numbers they got this past year during that span how would a 3rd gate affect attendance at those parks ?
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 06-08-2013 at 06:59 AM.

• Senior Minion

Re: How is the 3rd gate going to affect attendance at Disneyland and DCA?

Hard to say, there's just too many unknown variables. I think that they'll want to solidify DCA's gains and do something to TL first which would hopefully push up the combined attendance of the resort. But the specifics of the park will have a big impact on how it effects the existing parks. No matter what I think it won't terribly impact DL and might slightly impact DCA. At WDW new gates have helped bring more people and extend stays such that they don't decrease overall attendance at the other parks much. I think that it will make DLR a much more appealing vacation destination with three gates.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Ok let's assume a 3rd gate was built in the next 5 to 7 years and disneyland and DCA keeps getting the attendance numbers they got this past year during that span how would a 3rd gate affect attendance at those parks ?
    I personally don't think Disneyland Resort here in California could sustain a 3rd gate as much as people think. Tokyo Disney Resort and DLR were in the exact same spot; local based park expanding into territories with parks, resorts, shopping districts, etc. Except Tokyo realized this would probably be their one big shot as there simply isn't insane amounts of land and, more importantly, tourists to populate a 4 park mega complex like WDW.

If a park was built that quickly (5 to 7 years is very very soon) then I do think DCA would see a stunt in growth while DL would just increase. But there's lots of unknowns to us anyways, so the only ones that have any idea are at TDA.

• No Disassemble!

Assuming Disneyland and DCA remained exactly the same with no new upgrades: Disneyland park attendance would drop further. DCA would remain about the same but would begin to dwindle. Depending on the attractiveness of the 3rd gate the modest attendance it would get in its first six months would either grow or sink rapidly for the remainder of the year.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I personally don't think Disneyland Resort here in California could sustain a 3rd gate as much as people think. Tokyo Disney Resort and DLR were in the exact same spot; local based park expanding into territories with parks, resorts, shopping districts, etc. Except Tokyo realized this would probably be their one big shot as there simply isn't insane amounts of land and, more importantly, tourists to populate a 4 park mega complex like WDW.

If a park was built that quickly (5 to 7 years is very very soon) then I do think DCA would see a stunt in growth while DL would just increase. But there's lots of unknowns to us anyways, so the only ones that have any idea are at TDA.
    Very good points but don't underestimate disney, all the variables show that disney along with the city of anaheim are planning for a 3rd gate by early next decade , but of course the parking and traffic control has to get done first which will likely get done in the next 3 years or so.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If I may: Are we talking about a top caliber park that exceeds DisneySea, Shanghai ?
    or Walt Disney Studios in Paris, or the opening day DCA?

The correct answer for each scenario has already been given above, posts 2 and 4.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Assuming Disneyland and DCA remained exactly the same with no new upgrades: Disneyland park attendance would drop further. DCA would remain about the same but would begin to dwindle. Depending on the attractiveness of the 3rd gate the modest attendance it would get in its first six months would either grow or sink rapidly for the remainder of the year.
    I agree with you about DL being the affected one , but hey maybe that's a good thing , if it means lower wait times and TL finally getting fixed by that time I'm all for it!

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    I agree with you about DL being the affected one , but hey maybe that's a good thing , if it means lower wait times and TL finally getting fixed by that time I'm all for it!
    Definitely! Disney could even (dare we dream?) see the value in actually preserving Disneyland to make a profit on tourists & fanatics who wouldn't mind paying $92 to experience Walt's Disneyland. I know that would make 50% of the Micechat community happy.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Hard to say, there's just too many unknown variables. I think that they'll want to solidify DCA's gains and do something to TL first which would hopefully push up the combined attendance of the resort. But the specifics of the park will have a big impact on how it effects the existing parks. No matter what I think it won't terribly impact DL and might slightly impact DCA. At WDW new gates have helped bring more people and extend stays such that they don't decrease overall attendance at the other parks much. I think that it will make DLR a much more appealing vacation destination with three gates.
    good points uncle Bob , but a 3rd gate would affect DL , especially if the 3rd gate was a hit , which I'm assuming it will with the Marvel and Lucas acquisitions added to that 3rd gate, and believe me they learned their lesson with DCA's Beggining , they would never do that mistake again! Meaning building a 3rd gate on the cheap!

and as for TL , I believe TL will get fixed but that's when the DLR gets a 3rd gate and the numbers in DL start dwindling because of the 3rd gate being a hit !

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    The attractiveness of the 3rd gate would probably be Marvel and Star Wars , if that's not enough I don't know what is, Cause I believe the 3rd gate , would be the gate to compete with USH additions they got coming in the next decade but that's a conversation for another day!

• Unhelpful User

This was designed by fellow micechatter Randy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 06-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.

• Unhelpful User

Look at map and tell me it wouldn't affect disneyland and DCA?

• Banned User

Of course it could work, but not with the same marketing strategies DLR has used in the past. The park would have to break new ground, be able to capture the worlds, yes the worlds, interest and imagination. This couldnt be a park designed to get local aps to spend extra days at the resort.
    I would love to see something original, but lets just look at one possibility as an example of 1 park that would be failure proof.
    A park with the quality of TDS. A massive Star Wars area but maybe with mini lands. A marvels area, but themed to a never before seen level of theming for a super heros land. Of course there would have to be much more, but the idea would have to be to make the park so huge, and I dont mean size, that people from all over the globe would be dying to visit the park. It has to be a park that would take the DLR brand global. Its absolutely possible, but it would have to be at a level above any current stateside park.
    Im sure Disney knows this and i dont think are anywhere near the point of determining if they want to make that step.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Of course it could work, but not with the same marketing strategies DLR has used in the past. The park would have to break new ground, be able to capture the worlds, yes the worlds, interest and imagination. This couldnt be a park designed to get local aps to spend extra days at the resort.
    I would love to see something original, but lets just look at one possibility as an example of 1 park that would be failure proof.
    A park with the quality of TDS. A massive Star Wars area but maybe with mini lands. A marvels area, but themed to a never before seen level of theming for a super heros land. Of course there would have to be much more, but the idea would have to be to make the park so huge, and I dont mean size, that people from all over the globe would be dying to visit the park. It has to be a park that would take the DLR brand global. Its absolutely possible, but it would have to be at a level above any current stateside park.
    Im sure Disney knows this and i dont think are anywhere near the point of determining if they want to make that step.
    Good points piano disney , but the 3rd gate shouldn't have any parades nor disney characters ok maybe only Mickey Mouse but just for sporadic appearances but I doubt that will ever happened, the 3rd gate would mostly have e tickets and shows like the map above!

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post

This. Established franchises are the only things that will make this 3rd gate viable. The world has spoken and they want to visit their favorite, expansive, fictional universes in real life.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast