Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow Land

Re: Tomorrow Land

If they're doing a marvel park, why is disney not expanding their parks to a new destination...? I get that they want to be in the tourist destinations, close to "home". But there are thousands of other destinations full of tourist opportunities around the country and around the world - expand the horizons.

I have to point out that The Disneyland Resort sent me an online survey a couple of months ago and it was all about building a Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
    The questions ranged from "What Star Wars locations would you like to see at Star Wars Land", to "What characters from Star Wars would you like for a meet and greet."
    The survey wasn't subtle. It was very much about the construction of a new Star Wars Land at Disneyland in California (not DHS).
    So the survey I took wasn't a rumor. But the possibilities of Disneyland actually going through with it? It's your guess.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 06-13-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Vulgar reference/insinuation against forum rules, edited out.

• Monorail Junkie

I heard from an imagineers friends moms brothers housekeepers yard guy that they were going to do absolutely nothing!

I think I believe that over the changing to star wars land. LOL

• Minion

I've got no real scoop on Star Wars, but I do know from friends who work in Tomorrowland in the early morning shifts that Imagineers and some TDA suits have been sniffing around the area a lot lately. They've been taking tours of existing buildings (EO and Starcade, and PeopleMover platform) and having meetings in the area before the park opens for the day.

Something is up according to the CM's who have been observing these Tomorrowland meetings with WDI take place, but what it is exactly is still unknown. It could be a total land makeover, it could be a replacement for EO, or it could just be a new paint job.

I would love if they could just show some concept art for tomorrowland plans at the next d23 expo. Just have a big blue sky exhibit on what they are dreaming up even if they arent ready to commit to anything.

• Artistic integrity

Looks like all ears and eyes are pointing to August - when the D23 Expo is on - and see if there are going to be any surprises.

The way I look at this ... there is this narrow window coming to a close soon .. on - If anything can be built - and officially open by July 17, 2015 - On the 60th. That is 2 years, 1 month, and 4 days away.

The last time Tomorrowland closed for a renovation, was of course ... for the "TL:98" plan. In which they did it piece-meal .... keeping Space Mountain and Star Tours open around construction crews ... slowing things down. But if they are willing to shut most of the land down - then crews can get a lot more done .. quicker.

If Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida can be up and running in one year .... Disney could have a new TL in 2 years.

Of course .... I'm only assuming what CAN be done - So, I'll just roll back to what I feel Disney will ultimately end up doing: Wait till the 60th is over - till they do anything serious with the land.

And when they do - I certainly hope it entails a replacement attraction for the Peoplemover track. If a see a land devoid of a ride circling the land, coming in and out of it's buildings - I will be heart-broken. It doesn't have to be ride like the 1967 PM ... But it's got to be something that "ties" the land altogether .. into ONE unifying piece of imagination - with kinetics!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

If there has to be a Star Wars land, that should be at the new 3rd park. They should do something original with Tomorrowland.

• Minion

Doesn't NASA kick out multiple design rocket ships that are futuristic, and other innovations. I think technology and NASA could inspire new rides.

Just thinking out loud how they can't imagine a new tomorrowland. I'm very pro disney and am not bothered much about tie ins and Pixar and soarin over the world however I'm heavily against a Star Wars land or marvel. Star tours is cool and tomorrowish. But a whole land replacing tomorrowland. Just don't see the disney part of it.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Disneyland Dreamin'

How about a Tomorrowland in themes based on predictions and ideas from different eras?

A view of the future from the 20's and 30's had some pretty out there ideas but still cool to look at today. Just some of the Art Deco designs would be neat. As you go deeper in, the "future" gets updated to the 40's-60's all the way up to now and the advancements that are made everyday.

It would be sort of like a retro-future look through history with new rides and attractions based on some the more creative and cool ideas...airships docking on mile-high skyscrapers, hovercars a la Jetsons, domed cities... ideas that fit with the original vision of Disney's Tomorrowland, but more a look at "Tomorrow" through time and how these may have evolved into todays' technology. Think something simple like a flip-phone and the old Star Trek communicator, or now touch-screen tablets.

Science-fiction is rapidly becoming fact in many ways and it might be fun to connect the "old" tomorrow with now. Remember, Rocket to the Moon in 1955 was very much still in the realm of science fiction for many. A lot of stuff seems really out there until technology catches up with imagination... Giant flat screens you can hang on a wall? Showing moving pictures? pfft... yeah right!

It could be a nostalgic nod to the past and still look forward to the many things to come and never really be out of date because that would be the point.

Just throwin' darts at the idea board!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by beckramenoodles View Post
    If they're doing a marvel park, why is disney not expanding their parks to a new destination...? I get that they want to be in the tourist destinations, close to "home". But there are thousands of other destinations full of tourist opportunities around the country and around the world - expand the horizons.
    Shanghai??? Disney has recognized that the big money is in selling the destination resort experience where they get long high-end hotel stays and big spending guests. I don't think they will build any more parks in North America outside of Orlando or Anaheim. In DLR they have land available in one of the biggest population centers in the world with a great climate and space for more hotels. It would be silly to build anywhere else where they would have more upfront costs due to purchasing land and lower revenues due to fewer and shorter hotel stays.

Right now the North American market is pretty covered and the two resorts don't compete over guests much. If they built in say Texas, one of the other places that could work, it would mostly compete with the existing resorts and turn many Texans into day visitors rather then resort visitors. Until the population is larger it doesn't make sense for another resort in North America.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I can just see it now...

DISNEY STAR WARS LAND THE FUTURE TOMORROW
    Anaheim, CA- The Walt Disney Co announced that a major update to Tomorrowland at the Disneyland Resort centered around their latest acquisition Star Wars.

"Meesa know that Walt Disney was alweeza man that pushed Imagineers to innovate and push deeza limits of what was technically possible. Heeza also know that youza had to look to da past to build on. Eeeza always Walt's vision that one day weeza look back too a long time ago in a galaxy far far away to to build ouwza future." said Disney Imagineer Jar Jar Binks.

Construction of the new Star Wars is expected to begin at lightspeed and open sooner than you can build your own Death Star.

However not all Disney employees share Mr. Binks' enthusiasm for the project. A Disney source that requested to remain anonymous simply exclaimed "It's a trap!"

• Artistic integrity

^^^ How about a Jar-Jar/Young Darth Vador experience ... with lots of "Stitch" like fart-jokes. As Marty Sklar would say - It would be relevant to today's youth!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Monorail Junkie

Didn't Al's last update (or a previous one before that) say that Tomorrowland would get an overhaul but it would not be until after the 60th.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    I have to point out that The Disneyland Resort sent me an online survey a couple of months ago and it was all about building a Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
    The questions ranged from "What Star Wars locations would you like to see at Star Wars Land", to "What characters from Star Wars would you like for a meet and greet."
    The survey wasn't subtle. It was very much about the construction of a new Star Wars Land at Disneyland in California (not DHS).
    So the survey I took wasn't a rumor. But the possibilities of Disneyland actually going through with it? It's your guess.
    If they did move forward with converting Tomorrowland to StarWarsLand, how much would people be willing to let them change before crying foul? If they decided to gut the entire land and replace it, how would that go over with Disneyland Fans?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    If they did move forward with converting Tomorrowland to StarWarsLand, how much would people be willing to let them change before crying foul? If they decided to gut the entire land and replace it, how would that go over with Disneyland Fans?
    Why stop there? Why not make Frontierland into Lone Ranger Land, or Fantasyland into Willow Land, or Adventureland into Indiana Jones Land?
    Last edited by calsig31; 06-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast