Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Should we go back to the Ticket Book system?

I will go with what is, until I see in black and white a better alternative, and nobody has given me that so far.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

As it stands today, not everyone pays the same admission cost to get into the park. I feel sorry for the person who perhaps only wants to go for one day, and must fork over that $92 dollars, or not go to the park at all. I travel from Chicago, so perhaps, I should factor in other things, into my daily cost, like airfare, and hotel costs.

However, Disney started the AP program, and sells parkhoppers, and different guests pay different prices. I don't ever see Ticket Books returning, because there are just too many other ticket programs in place making Disney money.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I will go with what is, until I see in black and white a better alternative, and nobody has given me that so far.
    Well, The Plaza Inn is a little cheaper than the Blue Bayou.....and I can eat as much as I like at the Plaza Inn.

But for me, there are some things more important than cost/quanity.......I prefer the Blue Bayou
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Admission, and admission costs into Disneyland, is the subject at hand. The bottom line here is that a smart visitor figures out a way to get in for the lowest amount of money. Some believe the ticket book will achieve that. It won't achieve that in my case.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Third request: Please stop referring to any new pay-per-attraction pricing system as "ticket books."
    It's the 21st Century. There are plenty of smart-card options to choose.
    In a fandom that still uses "E-Ticket" as part of its daily lexicon even though the concept ended 32 years ago, I'm going to guess people will still say "ticket book" regardless of the medium used.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Do you use the fast pass system? Not only do you have to fumble with a ticket you have to physically traverse to the attraction....twice. You also have to pull out your admission media (and the media of all those who you are obtaining passes for) and slip it into a machine and hope you don't lose yours or someone elses $100+ entrance investment, re-arrange plans around return windows, etc, etc.

The books were no where near as complicated imho
    Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, are you really going to argue that having to present a fastpass ticket on a small percentage of rides is somehow as/more complicated than to having to hand over a ticket for each and every attraction?
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Admission, and admission costs into Disneyland, is the subject at hand. The bottom line here is that a smart visitor figures out a way to get in for the lowest amount of money. Some believe the ticket book will achieve that. It won't achieve that in my case.
    I understand what you're saying......but costs aside (and let's face it....Disney will always charge as much as they can regardless of the system) what I am calling for is really a change of pace in the park. Those who want to ride 35 attractions in a single day can still do so ....... in fact, it might even be easier because of shorter lines.......and those who wish to experience the park in a less aggressive matter won't feel compelled to "get their monies worth"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, are you really going to argue that having to present a fastpass ticket on a small percentage of rides is somehow as/more complicated than to having to hand over a ticket for each and every attraction?
    If it were just handing the ticket over....no. But what one must do in order to both obtain and use that fastpass is certainly more complicated than simply handing over a ticket as you pass thru a turn-style.

I will go back and read all these replies, that were posted since I was here last. That's a promise, but I need to just say one thing first.

Prove to me that the return of Ticket Books will save me money, over what I spent for my visits this past year, and I'll sign up for their return. Saving money is a top priority for me.
    Like you, I'm an out-of-stater. Like you I'm an AP holder.

So, I do not see how your priorities would be so different from ours. We certainly are not trying to minimize our costs in visiting the parks. We try to minimize our costs *per experience hour*. This comes into play in making decisions such as "how much more should I be willing to pay for a two hour later return flight to get two extra hours in the park?" or "how much more should I be willing to pay for a hotel per night with a 10 minute shorter drive each way to the parks?"

Since a great deal of the time spent in the parks is in some sense "wasted" waiting in various lines, this increases our costs per experience hour. If each attraction were individually priced (through whatever mechanism) to bring demand for the attraction in line with supply of the attraction the lines would be virtually non-existent, and yet ride vehicles would always be full (provided correct pricing).

Lines are always the result of an under-marginally-priced good or service. If the marginal price of a ride is $0, lines form. And unfortunately you wind up paying in time. Since our time in Disney parks costs us somewhere in the ballpark of $150/hour (because of travel costs, lodging costs, increased food costs, opportunity costs, etc), those lines are quite costly to us indeed, and I believe you are facing similar costs, just perhaps without having calculated them.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love the rides, but as I have said before, I could have an absolutely wonderful day in the park, and never even get on one ride.

Disneyland had ticket books in the past, and some people remember them fondly. Disney has also had many other things that are now long gone, and people wish they were back.

Then there are those, who wish Disney would come up with some new ideas. I see a new idea regarding admission happening way before I see the reinstatement of ticket books.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

If it were just handing the ticket over....no. But what one must do in order to both obtain and use that fastpass is certainly more complicated than simply handing over a ticket as you pass thru a turn-style.
    You make it sound as if the process of getting a fastpass is somehow cumbersome and complicated. Please explain how handling admission media, I don't know - let's say five times for five fastpasses, and then handing over those fastpass tickets, for another five instances of hands-on activity, for a grand total of 10 physical manipulations of a "paper" ticket is more complicated than a ticket books (10-15 tickets) worth of pass handling. Not even going to mention the added time it takes to get extra tickets if you run out of B-E tickets.

For the record, I (sorry, sediment, I (whoops) know that is a dirty word to use in these debates ) am old enough to remember/used ticket books. I also remember, in the 1970s, going to Disneyland during an exclusive (military appreciation) night event that didn't require ticket use to experience attractions. Having discovered, that night, the stifling tyranny of ticket books, I, for one, celebrated the day the double-admission wall came down.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I understand what you're saying......but costs aside (and let's face it....Disney will always charge as much as they can regardless of the system) what I am calling for is really a change of pace in the park. Those who want to ride 35 attractions in a single day can still do so ....... in fact, it might even be easier because of shorter lines.......and those who wish to experience the park in a less aggressive matter won't feel compelled to "get their monies worth"
    Is it a sign that Disney is moving even FARTHER away from pay per play that they want you to sign up for a DINING PLAN for the length of stay?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's a given that Disney wants to part us with as much of our money as they can, even before we leave our homes. The smart traveler thinks with their head, and not their heart. There's enough emotional decisions made, once we enter the magical world of Disneyland. Before we go, we need to do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post
    Since our time in Disney parks costs us somewhere in the ballpark of $150/hour (because of travel costs, lodging costs, increased food costs, opportunity costs, etc), those lines are quite costly to us indeed, and I believe you are facing similar costs, just perhaps without having calculated them.
    So....according to your pricing an 8 hour day at Disneyland would cost you $1,200. I also live out of state and didn't pay that much for 4 days, with lodging, airfare, and even food and souvenirs thrown in. Nor would I want to pay $1,200 per day, and I can't imagine anyone else who would.

• Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    I am old enough to remember/used ticket books. I also remember, in the 1970s, going to Disneyland during an exclusive (military appreciation) night event that didn't require ticket use to experience attractions. Having discovered, that night, the stifling tyranny of ticket books, I, for one, celebrated the day the double-admission wall came down.
    I agree with Timicus. The first time I visited DL using the single admission fee, I was amazed at how much I preferred it to the previous system.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    So....according to your pricing an 8 hour day at Disneyland would cost you $1,200. I also live out of state and didn't pay that much for 4 days, with lodging, airfare, and even food and souvenirs thrown in. Nor would I want to pay $1,200 per day, and I can't imagine anyone else who would.
    You've neglected to include opportunity costs, which are the largest component and particularly relevant when referring to a time element.

Also, I'm including costs for my wife.
    Last edited by HeavyAaron; 06-13-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast