Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Should we go back to the Ticket Book system?

The best solution is for the company to expand the resort's capacity so that there are only minimal lines, say 5 minutes at most, at any attraction.

Second best solution is a virtual ticketing system for the most popular attractions. The computer system associates an account with your ticket or pass. You can add dollar amounts to your account either at self-serve kiosks or at designated cashiers.

You purchase admission to an attraction at any one of a number of kiosks throughout the park, mainly near attractions. You choose which attraction and a reservation time. The computer remembers this and deducts the amount from your account balance.

If you miss your reservation time you do not lose any money, but you have to make a new reservation based on whatever times are still available.

This would free guests from the drudgery of standing in lines and allow them to visit shops and/or restaurants and spend money while waiting for their reservation time for the attraction.

It would also eliminate line-cutting and other shenanigans associated with lines. It would also improve guest behavior inside attractions since they paid to enter them.

A lot of these suggestions, i.e. reservations sound a lot like MyMagic+, a system that is already causing huge backlash on this board. And it hasn't even been put into effect yet.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The best solution is for the company to expand the resort's capacity so that there are only minimal lines, say 5 minutes at most, at any attraction..
    Won't work. The company will never expand or add additional gates for the purpose of re-distributing the same number of guests they get now. It will be to get additional bodies into the parks. Florida has four gated theme parks, plus two water parks. Trust me, you end up waiting longer than 5 minutes a lot.

Second best solution is a virtual ticketing system for the most popular attractions. The computer system associates an account with your ticket or pass. You can add dollar amounts to your account either at self-serve kiosks or at designated cashiers.

You purchase admission to an attraction at any one of a number of kiosks throughout the park, mainly near attractions. You choose which attraction and a reservation time. The computer remembers this and deducts the amount from your account balance.

If you miss your reservation time you do not lose any money, but you have to make a new reservation based on whatever times are still available.

This would free guests from the drudgery of standing in lines and allow them to visit shops and/or restaurants and spend money while waiting for their reservation time for the attraction.

It would also eliminate line-cutting and other shenanigans associated with lines. It would also improve guest behavior inside attractions since they paid to enter them.
    It's too complicated. Now someone's going to say,"no more complicated than using Fastpass!". Fastpass, in the case of those attractions that offer it, is not the only way to get on the ride. In fact, like I said earlier, what makes it work is the fact that the majority of the people getting on the ride use the standby line.
    Fastpass isn't even the only way to avoid a long wait. There's also single rider lines, and my personal favorite, just showing up to the park early in the morning.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The thing I like the best about Disneyland, is the spontaneity. I was a Disney World guest way before I ever set foot in Disneyland, and so I am knowledgeable about Dining reservations, also called Priority Seatings. However, I found out early on that you don't need to do that at Disneyland. You can, of course, if you want but it isn't necessary in order to have a great dining experience.

I don't need a computer to help me have fun in the park. The idea of reservations for rides and other things just makes no sense to me at all.

• Minion

But with the FastPass system your day is being dictated by the computer anyway. Not too much spontaneity there when the machine spits out a paper that tells you when to come back. Walt's system of tickets and ticket books allows you to go to any attraction any time you want - a recipe for spontaneity.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I sure learn a lot when these types of threads pop up. People have all kinds of reasons why they support certain features in the parks. I can listen to the reasons. Has any of it ever changed my mind? Probably not, but I still appreciate collecting the information.

• Insert Hilarious Title

But with the FastPass system your day is being dictated by the computer anyway. Not too much spontaneity there when the machine spits out a paper that tells you when to come back. Walt's system of tickets and ticket books allows you to go to any attraction any time you want - a recipe for spontaneity.
    Fastpasses are an option all guests can choose or refuse to participate in. Tickets would be a requirement (except for those that can afford VIP tour services, of course) that all guests would be forced to use.

In a sample of one person that spontaneity is a possibility. Increase it to two people or a +1 for each additional child/guest than it becomes more about negotiation.

How does one believe that having to choose among a higher number of attractions than the tickets they posses (say 5 "E-ticket" rides but only 3 E-tickets in the book) lead to more spontaneity? How is being confined (although, an option to upgrade as long as one is willing to pay even more would be available) to a limited number of opportunities rather than being able to choose which attraction to experience without being limited become the better choice?

The truth is if Disney had continued ticket books to this day we'd have weekly threads about the utter selfishness of Eisner's Disney and his legacy that would have limited the choices of guests but is willing to gouge them for additional tickets offered in themed "that's how they get you" ticket booths, depending on the -land. Imagine the uproar if Disney required guests to buy separate tickets for new attractions that aren't included in the A-E scheme. You know, like the Enchanted Tiki Room did.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus
    Please explain how handling admission media, I don't know - let's say five times for five fastpasses, and then handing over those fastpass tickets, for another five instances of hands-on activity, for a grand total of 10 physical manipulations of a "paper" ticket is more complicated than a ticket books (10-15 tickets) worth of pass handling.
    No one ever had to rearrange a dinner reservation in order to utilize a ticket.....

No one ever had to send a runner ahead to obtain a ticket......

No one ever had to tag an attraction 4 hours before riding with a ticket.....

What is complicated and cumbersome about the fp isn't the manuel manipulation of the media itself so much as it is the way the media manipulates its holder.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Fastpasses are an option all guests can choose or refuse to participate in.
    That's really not true though.........fp affects every attraction in the park; every shop and walkway too. Sadly, the only way you can really avoid fp is to avoid Disneyland altogether.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The thing I like the best about Disneyland, is the spontaneity. I was a Disney World guest way before I ever set foot in Disneyland, and so I am knowledgeable about Dining reservations, also called Priority Seatings. However, I found out early on that you don't need to do that at Disneyland. You can, of course, if you want but it isn't necessary in order to have a great dining experience.

I don't need a computer to help me have fun in the park. The idea of reservations for rides and other things just makes no sense to me at all.
    It's not going to be this way soon. It's going to become more like WDW and it won't be long before they bring MyMagic+ to DLR. All your Fastpasses, dining reservations and good seating for parades and spectacles will need to be booked well ahead of time and they'll run out of Fastpases by 10am or so most days. Standby lines will be longer for the Fastpass rides because people who really want to see that attraction will simply have to wait if they didn't reserve it ahead of time. The good aspect is that if you do book ahead wisely you'll be able to avoid many long lines without running around the park to collect FP's. But if you prefer spontaneity it's going away.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Fastpass is not the same thing as ticket books!Why do people keep bringing that up? A Fastpass isn't used to get on the ride! It's used to skip part of the line
    uhh.. because the discussion was about having to handle some sort of media repeatedly?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

When I travel to Disneyland, I take out my ticket probably just a few times. When I enter the park, and if I perhaps parkhop, or collect a fastpass. Seems this ticketbook thing, would require more "tracking" than that. That's as simple an explanation as I can come up with.
    But Barbara.. we are facing a new technology coming from Disney like the Magicbands.. which would negate pulling anything out. Just wave and go.. and you get the bill at the end. Can't be much easier than that. What I'm trying to say is.. the way it was done in the 70s doesn't have to be the way it would be done now or in the future.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Smart cards use a points system. Ticketbooks sort for the ride type and limit choices by category. We are clearly talking about the latter.
    What does it matter? It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Ticket letters are just the same thing as # of points. Any smart card system would handle the different ticket requirements automatically.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Prove to me that the return of Ticket Books will save me money, over what I spent for my visits this past year, and I'll sign up for their return. Saving money is a top priority for me.
    The idea of ticket books is not ensure everyone saves money. They would scale people's cost to their usage. If you use a ton, you pay a ton.. and vise versa.

But it's more about the other impacts.. in how ride demand works.. pace.. atmosphere.. how the parks are experienced.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Pilot EdForceOne

Admission, and admission costs into Disneyland, is the subject at hand. The bottom line here is that a smart visitor figures out a way to get in for the lowest amount of money. Some believe the ticket book will achieve that. It won't achieve that in my case.
    His point was.. if you focus only one factor.. you lose track of the other things that may be important too (like the food quality in his analogy). The symbiosis of the park experience is more than just price.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast