Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Should we go back to the Ticket Book system?

I have a very honest question to ask. Should we go back to the Ticket Book system, where you pay a small entrance fee, and then each attraction is an ala-cart fee.

Before you scream "NO NO NO NO NO" I would like for you to ponder this for a moment.

The current WDC is a company that is profit driven. While Florida is my home I do love Disneyland. And on both coasts you have an issue when an attraction long out lasts it's welcome, and I believe that the Ticket Books would be the answer to these stale parks.

With each attraction considered it's own "profit center" the Walt Disney Company would be driven to drive as many guests through each attraction, and increase guest spending as much as they could.

Let's look at the Fastpass attractions at Disneyland:

• Autotopia
    • Big Thunder Mountain
    • Indiana Jones Adventure
    • Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
    • Space Mountain
    • Splash Mountain
    • StarTours

With FastPass Disney is essentially telling tourists (not you super savvy locals) that these attractions warrant your special attention, and are the cream of the crop.

But if given the opportunity to pay per attraction would you be willing to pay the same amount for Autotopia as you would for Indiana Jones Adventure? Probably not.

Looking beyond simple comparison, the ticket book system would force Disney to take under performing attractions and truly develop that area into an attraction that drives guests through. I think the overall effect would be less staleness, and more constant improvement in the product as a whole.

Thoughts?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Should we go back to the Ticket Book system?

Having had my first visits using the book (totally dating myself here) when I was a child, I like the ability to ride anything I want without needing a ticket for it. I think it would be very hard to reverse back to it, especially with all other theme parks doing the opposite. (Which, if I am not mistaken, is what prompted Disney to change this in the first place.) The concept of one price, all rides caught on quickly all over. It has perceived value for me, if I pay one price and can access everything.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Having had my first visits using the book (totally dating myself here) when I was a child, I like the ability to ride anything I want without needing a ticket for it. I think it would be very hard to reverse back to it, especially with all other theme parks doing the opposite. (Which, if I am not mistaken, is what prompted Disney to change this in the first place.) The concept of one price, all rides caught on quickly all over. It has perceived value for me, if I pay one price and can access everything.
    But I think that perception also works the other way. If the park is FILLED with things you want to ride, then yes it feels like a value, but for instance now I don't want to subsidize all of the poor attractions.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    But I think that perception also works the other way. If the park is FILLED with things you want to ride, then yes it feels like a value, but for instance now I don't want to subsidize all of the poor attractions.
    I can see that point. But the trouble comes in when what one may or may not perceive as value, while another may do the opposite. For me, having all the rides, the entertainment, all of that is worth a one price deal. For me, tickets feel like a lessor experience. Reminds me of the county fair or places like Castle Park, instead of the quality I perceive Disneyland to be.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

To me this is an interesting idea not only would it change the way we visit the park but then what would we do with the entitled AP holders. (oops did I say that out loud)
    Last edited by mousedaddy; 06-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

This could all be done seamlessly now with magic wrist bands too!

That may be your opinion, but I think the majority of people feel the opposite way, or else Diensyland would no longer be popular. I, for one, think that the price for a ticket is well worth what you get when you enter the park. Obviously, this is a common sentiment as Dineyland is packed most days, even in what used to the the "off-season".

From a purely economic standpoint, DLR would lost a buttload of money if they reverted back because in order to make APs affordable, they would probably grant the holder admission only and not rides, which would cause a dramatic drop in AP renewals and therefore a huge revenue loss for Disneyland. Not many people would buy an annual pass for admission if they had to pay for everything they wanted to do once there separately.

• Rock Star Minion

Who's "we"?

Sure it would be great. But it's a lot more work for TDA. Less work for the same pay is the preferred choice of managers everywhere, so that's how it will stay.

Also, the drop in market value of a day at Disneyland would be too great for TDA to bear. Restricting choices lowers the value of the day. You let people pay for freedom.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

You should stop going if it bothers you that much. That way, you won't be "subsidizing" the "poor attractions." No one is forcing you to part with your money. This isn't like the government taking your income as taxes, then taking that revenue and spending it how they see fit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I grew up with the ticket book system and never liked it. I was thrilled when they did away with it. If they went back to it, I would probably hang up my mice ears.

It might be fun if they had a retro night where they did this. Of course I'm old and could buy as many tickets as I wanted so it wouldn't have much of an affect. Even though I went yearly through the seventies it was usually a private party with an unlimited use ticket so I only used the actual ride coupons (their proper name) on a handful of visits and, no, it's not as fun as being able to ride whatever you want.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Reminds me of the county fair ...
    Interesting fact: Shortly after the total elimination of the ticket books Disney launched this major promotion:

Disneyland State Fair Parade 1988 - YouTube
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

We had this debate numerous times. Again, the answer is NO. We won't go back.

We also won't roll back the AP system. It makes no sense to go back.

Why not the ticket system?

1. It facilitates greed. Think greed is bad? It will be worse with the ticket system. Every ride is a profit center, which is designed for profit, not ride quality and high standards. If not performing, it will be cut. Ride upkeep is cut for less popular rides and attractions, and especially for profitable rides. Nostalgic attractions like the Tiki Room will be closed in slow periods.

Look for the future Disneyland and DCA to have a much smaller slate of rides and attractions. Not only will attendance be affected because guests are essentially paying more for less, the park must work with lopsided popularity that skewed towards the blockbuster attractions.

2. Minor attractions are necessary for overflow crowds. If a park is superbusy, these attractions help guests to experience some attractions. Thus, guests won't feel ripped off if they don't ride anything due to long standby lines and fastpasses run out. Goodbye to the many rides that are popular to you (the Disney fanatic), but not to the general public.

3. Popular rides will generate the most revenue, but even then, their popularity will be muted when guests ration their attendance. A ticket books only have so many tickets. It is unlikely guests will buy additional tickets if the costs are astronomical. Instead of asking guests to pay $92 for unlimited rides for the full day, guests are asked to pay $50 admission for entry only and/or $92 for admission and 20 tickets equivalent to 20 minor rides or 10 major rides. With this ticketing structure, will guests return the second or third day?

4. Guests won't pay the equivalent of $92 for multiple days. That's why Disney offers the multi-day park hopper. Guests might just pay for admission only with a few tickets for rides. This won't do much for the rides and the streets will be crowded. The free shows and parades will be the new focus.

5. Attendance will necessarily decline. That's the way ticket books work to decrease attendance. Some fans want a less crowded park. This will ensure that possiblity.

6. Since Disneyland will be run like a carnival. Expect more of the same. It will be a Six Flag Disneyland. Think DCA was bad? You got your wish.
    Last edited by StevenW; 06-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

•   
    • Minion

I wouldn't like it. I also think it would result in a lot of lost revenue for the parks. As mentioned, every other major theme park out there has the pay-one-price system. In addition, even the parks and fairs that do use tickets - such as the OC Fair and Luna Park - have a PoP option.

One other point: many of the parks that have tickets - Luna Park, again, and Pacific Pier in Santa Monica - have free admission to the grounds. Others have very nominal admission fees. If you did this at Disneyland you would see the park overrun with scores of people using it as their everyday hangout, and it would likely detract a lot from the quality of the experience - which again would drive people away. If you had a larger admission fee and THEN expected people to buy ticket books on top of that, it would give consumers a negative impression. They'd feel that they were being nickel and dimed, and they'd be right.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast