Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

I like the overall direction, but as stated before..I don't think the Monsters' Inc improvements would do too much..at all.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I didn't like the Cars movie but loved the new land and thought it fit well....i loved the monsters inc movie...but the subland seems to make little sense

• keh!

No.

I like that it's getting love and attention and the new stuff is fun, but abandoning the California theme means Disney just didn't try hard enough. There are MANY attractions that could have been created and still keep it within theme. Disney just wants an easy, no-risk solution to keep the money coming in. What's so tough about designing Radiator Springs? Watch the movie, look at the lay out of the town, put in the right puzzle pieces. I would rather WDI try really hard at something original and something that celebrates California.

Yes, DCA is much more beautiful and I enjoy it, but I rather Disney be innovative instead... ahahahaha! Yeah, that's not going to happen.

I love everything they've done in the last 3 years. World of Color is astounding. The Little Mermaid (despite its critics) is a lovely classic dark ride. Carsland is the the most stunning and fully realized area of any park outside of Tokyo. Buena Vista Street was a brilliant use of space and the Red Car adds an essential kinetic energy to the park. The details such as the Citizens of BV Street, Five & Dime, Newsboys, Minnie's Fly Girls are all top notch and complete an experience that genuinely transports you to another place and time. The new lights, facades, and music on the Pier class it up as much as possible without removing it. I love everything they've done so, so, much.

As for the future, we'll have to see about Monstropolis. It seems like a convenient quick fix for the park's biggest problem area. I'd rather a see an updated Great Movie Ride or something appropriate to the theme that is already there - which CAN work - if they work on it.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by ccinsf View Post
    I love everything they've done in the last 3 years. World of Color is astounding. The Little Mermaid (despite its critics) is a lovely classic dark ride. Carsland is the the most stunning and fully realized area of any park outside of Tokyo. Buena Vista Street was a brilliant use of space and the Red Car adds an essential kinetic energy to the park. The details such as the Citizens of BV Street, Five & Dime, Newsboys, Minnie's Fly Girls are all top notch and complete an experience that genuinely transports you to another place and time. The new lights, facades, and music on the Pier class it up as much as possible without removing it. I love everything they've done so, so, much.

As for the future, we'll have to see about Monstropolis. It seems like a convenient quick fix for the park's biggest problem area. I'd rather a see an updated Great Movie Ride or something appropriate to the theme that is already there - which CAN work - if they work on it.
    they can probably make an updated ride called " Great Disney Movie Ride" which will be different from the one in Orlando and show the history of Disney Movies which can educate the new generations of what they've been missing and extend sunset blvd and make it behind tower of terror along with a couple of shops and another restaurant!
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.

• Selfie Expert

Overall, I love where DCA is heading. I am skeptical of movie-based lands (I don't mind movie-based rides AT ALL) for reasons others have mentioned such as them becoming somewhat antiquated. However, considering I am not a fan of the Cars movie at all, I do find myself very much enjoying the land, so maybe that point is moot so long as the land is done well.

I'm excited to see updates and changes, as so far they have been great improvements in my opinion!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I feel that the park has gotten a lot better but we are losing the CA in the whole park. If the direction that the theming is going then Disney will be forced to just call it Disney Adventure park so DAP...oh wait that is abbreviation is already being used. I this is always going to a problem until Disney combines the two parks together and use the esplanade as the turn style...
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Closed Account

I love the direction the park is going in, time for a name change for the park. The California theme didn't work. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the park is in the state of California. Seriously, as a California resident, I go to Disneyland when I want a break from the beaches, the mountains, the tourist attractions, the forests, etc. To try and make a Disney theme park that encompasses those things seemed foolish in the very beginning. Why go to a theme park that is about California when you are in California, why not go to the real places instead?

I love that Disney realized that the California theme was a flop, again likely because the park is in the state of California. I am interested in seeing what the park becomes in the years to come.

• Sock Puppet

Im happy with the direction of DCA and honestly have no problem with Pixar as long as its done in a way that fits DCA. Carsland fits that park flawlessly, its a land that looks like the CA desert, it represents Route 66 as well as car culture. Its very "California", I have no problem with Pixar additions like this if it adds to the CA theme as Carsland does.

However, I DO NOT like the idea of a Monsters mini-land. Its just far too much of a stretch (theme-wise) and will destroy alot of the 1930s Hollywood feel that the Redcar added. Id like to see something more "Hollywood" put back there.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post

I love that Disney realized that the California theme was a flop, again likely because the park is in the state of California. I am interested in seeing what the park becomes in the years to come.
    The California theme was not a flop, the direction in which they took the CA theme with DCA 1.0 was a flop. There is a difference. People didnt like the 'surfer cowabunga dude hip and edgy' direction they went with. The CA theme itself was never the problem, its always been its poor execution.

In DCA 2.0, the CA theme is still very much represented, you cant get much more "California" than Buena Vista Street, even Carsland is very "California" with its desert environment and car culture theme. DCA did not abandon its CA theme, it simply took it in a new direction, which was a good decision.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    The California theme was not a flop, the direction in which they took the CA theme with DCA 1.0 was a flop. There is a difference. People didnt like the 'surfer cowabunga dude hip and edgy' direction they went with. The CA theme itself was never the problem, its always been its poor execution.

In DCA 2.0, the CA theme is still very much represented, you cant get much more "California" than Buena Vista Street, even Carsland is very "California" with its desert environment and car culture theme. DCA did not abandon its CA theme, it simply took it in a new direction, which was a good decision.
    I still think putting a California themed theme park in California is silly, why not see the real thing. Not only that, but the state of California is very un-Disney, and that was the real problem with the first round of DCA. They need less California and more Disney. People don't go to a Disney park in California to see California, they go to see a top rate Disney theme park. Carsland was a step in the right direction. Hardly anyone thinks of Carsland as reflecting California, but rather as a land that reflects Cars and takes you to Radiator Springs, away from reality. This is what a Disney theme park is all about. Not taking you out of reality to stick you in more reality. Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mercury View Post
    The "California" theme was never adequately developed.
    Really?
    Buena Vista Street/Old Hollywood, Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier, Fisherman's Wharf, the Wine Country restaurant/eatery, the grizzly bear/park area, Soarin' Over California? Carsland and Bugsland is probably the only thing there that doesn't flow (as well) with the theme of the park - but nobody seemed to mind when I was there - Carsland was absolutely packed (probably because it's totally cool!)

Quote Originally Posted by David Mercury View Post
    The "California" theme was never adequately developed.
    Really?
    Buena Vista Street/Old Hollywood, Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier, Fisherman's Wharf, the Wine Country restaurant/eatery, the grizzly bear/park area, Soarin' Over California? Carsland and Bugsland is probably the only thing there that doesn't flow (as well) with the theme of the park - but nobody seemed to mind when I was there - Carsland was absolutely packed (probably because it's totally cool!)

Oops! sorry guys - didn't mean to do that twice - Actually, I'm not exactly sure how I did that.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    No.

I like that it's getting love and attention and the new stuff is fun, but abandoning the California theme means Disney just didn't try hard enough. There are MANY attractions that could have been created and still keep it within theme. Disney just wants an easy, no-risk solution to keep the money coming in. What's so tough about designing Radiator Springs? Watch the movie, look at the lay out of the town, put in the right puzzle pieces. I would rather WDI try really hard at something original and something that celebrates California.

Yes, DCA is much more beautiful and I enjoy it, but I rather Disney be innovative instead... ahahahaha! Yeah, that's not going to happen.
    Awesome post!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast