Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I still think putting a California themed theme park in California is silly, why not see the real thing. Not only that, but the state of California is very un-Disney, and that was the real problem with the first round of DCA. They need less California and more Disney. People don't go to a Disney park in California to see California, they go to see a top rate Disney theme park. Carsland was a step in the right direction. Hardly anyone thinks of Carsland as reflecting California, but rather as a land that reflects Cars and takes you to Radiator Springs, away from reality. This is what a Disney theme park is all about. Not taking you out of reality to stick you in more reality. Just my two cents worth.
    I don't know if it's silly, but perhaps it was a bit vain. I think a California themed park would be more popular say, in Japan. And maybe give us an international themed park. But since it's done, I think they should do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I think there's a risk with one movie theme lands that they become outdated when the movies fade from memory. The fantasyland dark rides work partly because they are classics most people have seen but also because they fit into an overall general European village theme.

Look at areas like the honey playground in DHS anyone care about that anymore?

Will Carsland or toy story land still be as popular in 60 years time as fantasyland? Would frontierland still be a draw if it had opened as Davey Crocket land? Would fantasyland be as fun if it was Alice land and Snow White land?

I've nothing against a movie themed ride in a more general land but I think a move to 'franchise' lands could be creating a whole load of 'old tomorrowlands' down the line
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.
    Though I think CarLand works very well and the town of Radiator Springs lends itself extremely well to a recreation in a theme park, I generally don't believe basing an entire land at a Disney park on a sole movie is a good idea...unless of course that movie is a film that has already established itself as a timeless, loved, globally recognized classic. Like Star Wars. And in that case it is a true franchise with multiple films and already established time-tested popularity, as well as marketing/commercial value. Yes there's a Cars 2, (which looked super lame to me, personally) and maybe they even make another Cars film. But the Cars franchise will never be as popular as something like Star Wars. So overall, I think Disney should steer clear of basing large sections of parks on singular movies or even movie franchises, especially Pixar films. To me it seems very short sited: creating a Monstropolis to honor the Monsters films for example. Yes there is buzz about these movies now, here in the present, but will it hold up 20 years from now, even if they make an additional film or two? Neither Cars or Monsters were overly popular films, at least not enough to warrant creating entire lands/sublands at Disney parks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't know if it's silly, but perhaps it was a bit vain. I think a California themed park would be more popular say, in Japan. And maybe give us an international themed park. But since it's done, I think they should do it right.

Excellent points CA!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Excellent points CA!
    Thanks! I will say, though, California is an exceptional state. There are few places in America which have the mythos of the Golden State. It's a special place, quite unlike all the other states.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Meaning adding all the Pixar stuff they've added during the last phase and will probably keep adding in the future!
    Pixar characters are Disney characters and thus it matters not if it Disney is basing the new experience on the Gogans or P.T. Flea. Or even Scarlet Witch or Asajj Ventress for that matter. What matters is that is that the ride is well done, with a good story and has meticulous attention paid to detail.

The ride must also aesthetically fit into its surroundings. Where a ride like Midway Mania fits perfectly into the Paradise Pier boardwalk, Grizzly River Run would have a harder time.

I think the overall question that should be asked (and not limited to CA Adventure) is, “are people happy with the directive all new offerings being franchised based versus original concepts?” I would answer that question in the negative. I think characters have their place in the parks, but so do original ride and show concepts. While Mickey and the Magical Map is a good show, so are both Billy Hill and the Hill Billies and the original Golden Horseshoe Review before it. The key is to balance both franchise based attractions with original concepts. It is a balance that is sadly lost on the present day Disney leadership who seems to be all about promoting brand at every turn whether it fits the theme or not.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I think they are throwing good money after bad. The place needed an entire thematic overhaul; not Pixar band-aids.

• Minion

I never see how the Pixar is Disney argument so its fine to add Pixar attractions add up. To me Pixar is another category of characters, the same as the Princesses or Pixies. If every new attraction was Princessed based people would start complaining.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    I never see how the Pixar is Disney argument so its fine to add Pixar attractions add up. To me Pixar is another category of characters, the same as the Princesses or Pixies. If every new attraction was Princessed based people would start complaining.
    That's comparing apples and oranges. Princesses are a very finite genre of characters where the Disney Pixar characters represent several genres. It is not the same as limiting something to princesses.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

...There are few places in America which have the mythos of the Golden State. It's a special place, quite unlike all the other states.
    Good point. The specialness that resonates with the name "California" -- its mythos -- is the product of California's place in the history of America and in our collective cultural psyche. From the Spanish period to the great westward migration and gold rush of the 19th century to the golden era of the movies, California's "magic" was that it was seen as the gold at the end of the rainbow.

So how much of that mythos is tapped by DCA?

Route 66? Sorry, it's no more iconically California than the other states that the Mother Road famously passed through in the 1930s to 1950s.

Deserts, mountains and beaches? Nope, plenty of them in other states. Grizzly bears? Try Wyoming, Montana and Alaska.

The beach pier amusement park? It's common to both coasts of America (and really is an icon more associated with the history of the East Coast).

The movies? Sorry, Disney -- a little place up the freeway called Universal Studios Tour has owned that one for decades. (Guess you can copy what they've been doing, though, if that's all ya got.)

Really, beyond Soarin' over California, and the niche of pre-1950s Los Angeles that inspired Buena Vista St., what is there that's uniquely California in Disney California Adventure? What is there that taps into the California mythos as deeply and broadly as "the lands of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy" do for Disneyland?

Which is why DCA has been, is, and thanks to the paucity of Disney management's vision likely to remain, a collected of assorted theme park rides mish-mashed together in a place which is, to all intents and purposes, a themeless "theme park."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

ALL parks have theme inconsistancies. Look at Universal Hollywood, why are they building the "real" Hogwarts in a studio backlot? theme-wise it makes ZERO sense. Hogwarts in Islands of Adventure makes sense, but in a studio backlot? not at all.

So we can sit here and HONESTLY nitpick every park for thier theme problems, but its kind of a waste of time. DCA is generally themed to CA, its not meant to be taken so literally, heck most parks arent too strict in regards to this...even the sacred and perfect Universal parks.

The bottom line, DCA is still alot better than most other parks out there. Id MUCH rather spend an entire day at DCA than Universal Hollywood or Knotts.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Since it's done, I think they should do it right.
    Has Disney adequately represented California at DCA? No. But I think they still can, and should.

• Senior Minion

Has Disney adequately represented California at DCA? No. But I think they still can, and should.
    +1
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

If Jumpin' Jellyfish is not a good representation, then I don't know what is.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If Jumpin' Jellyfish is not a good representation, then I don't know what is.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Did you just quote yourself to support your assertion? That's slightly pretentious, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus
    Did you just quote yourself to support your assertion? That's slightly pretentious, isn't it?
    I agree! j/k
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast