Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Re: Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

I think it's great, but having said that I had never had the experience of the "original" DCA. From the pictures though, I can tell you that it never was overly appealing to me before. I love the theming of Buena Vista Street and keep in mind Cars Land is catering to current and future visits by todays' kids, much like Dumbo, Peter Pan and Snow White bring us back. Kids now can look back in 10/15/20 years and say "I remember seeing that in the theater!" I do the same now with Star Wars, Indy and others. Do they still need to put in some original attractions? Yes I think so, but as has been said many times before, a known quantity is always going to be the path with least resistance.

As someone from BC and having visited California several times, I look at the DCA name as referring to more of an "Adventure in California", rather than an adventure about California.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm one of the only ones who liked "Golden Dreams"...

In some ways, Golden Dreams dealt with the California experience in a manner similar to how The American Adventure dealt with the American experience at Epcot: a series of historical vignettes, culminating with a montage accompanied by an inspiring song. But while the Epcot attraction was done on a grand scale with lifelike Audio-Animatronic figures in huge theatrical scenes, the California attraction was really just a movie, despite the talking Whoopi Goldberg face on the Queen Califia statues.

Rumors on the Internet suggested that the original plans for a California history attraction had been much more spectacular, but that the budget had been reigned in.
    Golden Dreams at Yesterland

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Did you just quote yourself to support your assertion? That's slightly pretentious, isn't it?
    Uh no, I quoted myself because I wanted to expand on the idea in the first quote. It was more like a bridge between two ideas.

• Blew By You

I'm kind of on the fence on this. I like how the Buena Vista Street theme has gone. The park could use more attractions. DCA is definitely a fixer-upper though. And it's affecting Disneyland, with so much money needed to fix up DCA.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    they can probably make an updated ride called " Great Disney Movie Ride" which will be different from the one in Orlando and show the history of Disney Movies which can educate the new generations of what they've been missing and extend sunset blvd and make it behind tower of terror along with a couple of shops and another restaurant!
    You know I mentioned this before but I CANT stop this idea I had in my head since I remember hearing about Carthay Circle Theater being opened but I ALWAYS thought that wouldve been a great place to set up a A Great Movie ride attraction--only THIS time it would all be set to the history of animation! I wouldve knocked down ITTBAB where the main building for the ride to take place and the bottom floor of CCT would basically be where the queue would be and sort of a museum of Walt Disneys life with props, sketches, etc (kind of be a mini-exhibit for what was originally once planned there). The restaurant would still be on the second floor as today.

Anyway basic concept wouldve been showing a AA Walt (but his back facing us and we dont see his face) drawing on his easel creating his first character, Oswald come to life and jump out of the easel and become our guide and narrator as he take us on a journey through all of Walts famous cartoons from his first like Mickey Steam Engine and less well known shorts to his first animated feature length film Snow White. Some of the characters would pop out of their respective scenes to talk to Oswald or interact with the guests, etc. Not really a storyline per se, maybe what they did with Mickeys Philharmagic and Oswald is popping through all these famous scenes. We would go through all the eras from the early 30s through the classic animated films of the 50s through 80s until finally hitting the later modern stuff like Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, etc until we hit the Pixar area and later films like Princess and the Frog, Tangled, etc.

And final scene is similar to the movie ride instead of showing us other movie clips maybe the next animation feature so it can be used to promote whatever is coming next.

And I thought it would be great we would get a nice all for the family attraction right at the entrance like Epcot and DHS. And BVS would have one solid attraction for itself. I think just one more addition a year ago wouldve been great.

Wouldve been nice. Maybe something similar will make it to HL. One can still dream!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 06-14-2013 at 02:54 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for your idea on Micechat, at least when I've brought up the idea of a "Great Movie Ride" or a "Great Disney Movie Ride" for DCA.

Apparently, it hasn't been well maintained or held up to the test of time in Florida.

Do I like it? Yes and no.

I love Buena Vista Street, though if it's just merch in the windows, that's boring. The antiques and other displays were more interesting.

I love the Hollywood stuff. Love the Wharf. Love the mural at Ghirardelli.

Tepid on Monstropolis, and on anything Pixar.

Carthay was great in concept; food is too complicated for my palate. Great drinks, though. Fun architecture.

CarsLand - beautifully done, though I wasn't particularly a fan of the movie. I'm glad it's an immersive space, rather than just retelling the movie. Racers is fun, but it does kind of mirror the movie, which is both expected and kind of boring.

Golden Age of Hollywood has a lot they could mine. Gold Rush. Spanish history. Channel Islands. Fishing. The making of movies, rather than the franchise part of movies.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

DCA is definitely a whole lot better than it used to be and I did spend a lot more time there than ever before. I like the re-do right from the beginning along the entrance with a "deco" green/neon light theme and entering to find one of Walt's first characters "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" kind of greeting you at the ol' gas station on the left.

If I am not mistaken, are we not then transported into Walt's 1920's era of Hollywood with Buena Vista Street and the statue of him when he first arrives to California tipping his hat with the famous future Mickey on his traveling trunk?

I think the direction of DCA now is more of California's time periods, Buena Vista area is the old Hollywood "land" with the spooky hotel in the back... Now "Bug's land" seems more out of place to me with my "California" time theme theory. While I was there though the little ones were having a lot of fun and there is a lot of shade there for families to take a rest.

My son said he read somewhere at DCA in 2009 that Cars land's initial concept was designed before the "Cars" pixar film. So that would have meant that "cars land" was the original concept, the film and screenplay created secondly to go along with the Disney merchandising set in that land.

My husband and I are vintage car enthusiasts and found Cars land to be more of a "nod" to "American Graffitti" or "50's" style time themes.. while adding "car" cartoon characters in the mix representing everything from the Hippie Volkswagon van to the "Mcqueen" (corvette looking) sports car greeting everyone... "Racers" is a blast and very well designed. The whole place looks awesome at night time.

To me, DCA is leaning towards experiencing "California" era's and it's unique innovations where Walt was able to fulfill all our our dreams. He came here and saw his vision for his future here and I think he would be "okay" now with the direction that DCA is going. However, I agree that having a Montseropolous or whatever would be like putting another mish mash theme (like "Bug's Land") into the park that would not compliment it at all.

I find the SF nor cal section represented by the pier (Santa Cruz), the wharf and victorian houses (late 1800's) and the "river raft" water ride (Grizzley river run) sort of a nod to Yosemite especially with the "Grand Californian" hotel right next to it (with it's reflections of the Ahwahnee architecture - 1930's or so I think?). Then to circle back through what I call "aviation land" and "Soarin' over California" which from what I have heard through the years seems to be a hit... time period back around the early 1900's ....

​I like the idea of different time periods.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Alphabassetgrrl: Thanks for your commentary. I guess I have always felt that way since I was a kid in D-land... each land had a "time-travel" feel to it and I guess I finally got that at DCA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    ​I like the idea of different time periods.
    Actually, Buena Vista Street is supposed to be 1920s, Hollywood Land in the 30s, and I'm not sure which area represents the 40s. Or if the Pier is the Teens. But Grizzly Peak was supposedly going to get a 50's vibe.

Don't know if they're going to go through with this but this is how the plans were first announced by Al when Phase I was just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Actually, Buena Vista Street is supposed to be 1920s, Hollywood Land in the 30s, and I'm not sure which area represents the 40s. Or if the Pier is the Teens. But Grizzly Peak was supposedly going to get a 50's vibe.

Don't know if they're going to go through with this but this is how the plans were first announced by Al when Phase I was just starting.
    Okay... thanks for the detailed info on the original plan. How do you think "Bug's land" was incorporated into DCA then?

Our family's only experience of Bug's land, back in 2004 or so I think (?), my youngest daughter was about 8 years old and I had to carry her out immediately. She was terrified, crying and frightened from one of the first "Bug's Land" attractions wearing those 3-D glasses... we never went back. My kid's are all much older now and they like the whole place except the "Bugs whatever". At the time, my husband and I (being from SF) thought the GG bridge being right at the entry was odd. We thought the CALIFORNIA letters were a bit strange too; however, everyone around my kid's ages miss those huge things that used to sit in between the two parks...

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

​I like the idea of different time periods.Actually, Buena Vista Street is supposed to be 1920s, Hollywood Land in the 30s, and I'm not sure which area represents the 40s. Or if the Pier is the Teens. But Grizzly Peak was supposedly going to get a 50's vibe.

Yup! Buena Vista is the 1920s/30s, Hollywoodland more 1940s (this time era was mentioned in BSC once and fits the Golden Age of Hollywood which is said to have lasted from the late '30s to the early '60s), Cars Land a nod to the 1950s/60s, Paradise Pier is turn of the century to the '20s, Grizzly Peak has become more '30s mid century '50s (this was written about in a D23 article last year; the land saw several vintage props added and swapped in for the queue for GRR, GRR rafts, GRR ride, and RCCT and music changes in GRR queue to reflect this), and Condor Flats also mid century (calendar in shop is 1949 I believe, some cosmetic changes they did, and then the fly girls and such), which will probably be strengthened if rumor proves true and land becomes enveloped in Grizzly Peak.

I remember even writing a thread about the Grizzly Peak changes The Small Details Matter. New Plaque's in Grizzly Peak

I hope the park continues the placing of small details to help better establish times and places. I also hope they continue to focus on the historical and fantastical. And I REALLY hope Condor Flats gets enveloped in the Grizzly Peak theming and becomes a mountain airstrip.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 06-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.

yeah, we all waited under the monorail track shadow for the shuttles

• Sock Puppet

Does anyone else has an issue with the title of this thread? "Be Honest!"...as if this whole time people have been lying about how much they like Carsland etc. People have been honest, that's why DCAs attendence jumped 23% since the expansion. People overwhelming love the new additions and the new DCA overall. There is nothing to "be honest" about, we've all BEEN honest from the start.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast