Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Does anyone else has an issue with the title of this thread? "Be Honest!"...as if this whole time people have been lying about how much they like Carsland etc. People have been honest, that's why DCAs attendence jumped 23% since the expansion. People overwhelming love the new additions and the new DCA overall. There is nothing to "be honest" about, we've all BEEN honest from the start.
    I don't have an issue with the title at all. I truly believe that Buena Vista Street and Cars Land are leading DCA in the right direction. Hollywoodland needs a makeover next imo.

I really love some of the changes that have been implemented over the past five years, starting with Midway Mania, through World of Color, Buena Vista Street, and Cars Land. Buena Vista Street, in particular, was a wonderful idea. By theming it to 1920s Hollywood, it not only ties into Walt Disney's life, but also borrows from Disneyland by taking guests back in time while providing a different experience from that of Main Street.

But I worry about the upkeep of these attractions now that they've been handed over to operations and merchandising. Most disconcerting to me is the removal of those gorgeous, highly-themed items from the BVS display windows. I know it's been discussed ad nauseam but I really loved the old books and baseball uniforms. However, I think the one that bothered me the most was the Big Top Toys display. I really loved the old toys laid out as if they were engaged in an old-fashioned circus, and I was disappointed when they were replaced by a random pile of modern plushes.

Also high on my list of concerns is the use of World of Color as a feature film preview. I enjoyed Brave, but I don't like the half-arsed theatre preview segment. It was designed to be a teaser for the film, in that they pretty much just spliced up the preview and didn't add any spoilers. I strongly disagree with the use of the teaser-style, obvious promotion-based segment for a whole year after the movie came out. She turns her mom into a bear. There. We've all seen it. We all know what happens. If they wanted a long-term Brave segment, then please, do it right. Use a scene with some heart, like when Merida's mom turns back into a human, or Merida's mom helps her through that speech about choosing her own path. It just smacks of creative laziness the way it is now.

As it stands, the transformation of the park is not complete. I hope the higher-ups don't get complacent now that revenue and attendance are up. There are still many little details that need to be re-imagined. For instance, I rode GRR a few weeks ago, and I noticed that the safety spiel is done by an 80s/90s extreme sports Spicoli sound-alike, which clashes with the 40s/50s national park re-theme. Not to mention empty-façade-land -- Hollywoodland -- DCA's own eyesore, akin to Tomorrowland.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, my sisters and I very much like the direction that DCA is going. Honestly!

ORWEN: It sure is a much better park than it used to be.

ORGOCH: Got mem'ries a DCA's past?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345