Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

Meaning adding all the Pixar stuff they've added during the last phase and will probably keep adding in the future! I also got the impression from Imagineers like Tony Baxter never like that Idea of DCA'S direction towards Pixar but maybe that's just the impression I got when I met him in the parks sometime ago, but please share your thoughts

Re: Be Honest! Do you like the direction DCA is going?

Comparing the attraction/entertainment options now vs. before, it's hard to argue that visitors are getting a lot more value for their admission price. The "California" theme was never adequately developed, so I have no issue with abandoning it for something better, even if that ultimately means changing the name of the park, or just using the abbreviation, like the cable network AMC (which hasn't presented "American Movie Classics" for years).

• Minion

I am totally fine with the direction they are going with for DCA. From the last expansion we did not only get Pixar attractions (Toy Story, Cars Land), but also ones based from classic Disney (Little Mermaid, rethemes on Paradise Pier, Buena Vista Street).

• Minion

I'm better with the direction they're going in now then the old direction. However, I feel that the rumored Monsters Inc land in Hollywood Land would be a step in the wrong direction.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Overall quality of attractions and shopping better, more value for guests to do. I like the direction of Buena Vista Street and the touch-ups around the Redwood area indeed, the vintage California direction. I am less enamored of the direction of 'add more PIXAR!' with Cars Land and potentially a Monsters subland as a overall decision, but quality of individual elements in Cars Land are overall good.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I am totally fine with the direction they are going with for DCA. From the last expansion we did not only get Pixar attractions (Toy Story, Cars Land), but also ones based from classic Disney (Little Mermaid, rethemes on Paradise Pier, Buena Vista Street).
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    I'm better with the direction they're going in now then the old direction. However, I feel that the rumored Monsters Inc land in Hollywood Land would be a step in the wrong direction.
    + 1

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I miss the parking lot
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I think there's a risk with one movie theme lands that they become outdated when the movies fade from memory. The fantasyland dark rides work partly because they are classics most people have seen but also because they fit into an overall general European village theme.

Look at areas like the honey playground in DHS anyone care about that anymore?

Will Carsland or toy story land still be as popular in 60 years time as fantasyland? Would frontierland still be a draw if it had opened as Davey Crocket land? Would fantasyland be as fun if it was Alice land and Snow White land?

I've nothing against a movie themed ride in a more general land but I think a move to 'franchise' lands could be creating a whole load of 'old tomorrowlands' down the line

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I've nothing against a movie themed ride in a more general land but I think a move to 'franchise' lands could be creating a whole load of 'old tomorrowlands' down the line
    This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• film975

What Disneyland has always been about is experiences. I think that is the biggest thing that sets it apart from other amusement parks. If the attraction's a fun experience, it doesn't matter where its source material for that experience comes from.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My DCA visits only go back to 2005. I feel the DCA that I recently visited this past January is definitely more exciting, and provides a fulfilling experience. More so than the one that I visited in 05.

•   
    • Minion

Yes, I'm happy that they've made such a concerted effort to make DCA more interesting and more fully realized. They are trying to enhance the DCA experience on every level. I do spend a lot more time there than I did before.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, partly yes and partly no.

If we go all the way back to when the makeover began, it started with Tower of Terror, which is great but because of WDW we know it could be even better.

Then we got Toy Story Mania, which is one of the most fun non-roller coaster rides at any park, and consistently has a 90 minute wait even though it's several years old. I don't think it will matter if people have seen Toy Story or not for that ride, you get the idea pretty quickly.

The Paradise Pier garden is nice, but I still wish the food was a little bit more high-end and not burgers and pizza.

I am in the minority as someone who does not like the World of Color, but I recognize that a lot of people love it so the fact that the show exists does not bother me. I do hate that they have to close down anything at all in order to do the show, and that is something that Disney needs to figure out how to get away from.

The Little Mermaid does not appeal to me at all in the same way that Peter Pan or Alice or Casey Jr does not appeal to me since I don't have kids, so I really can't even comment on that. It never seems to have a line, so I don't know if that means even kids don't like it, or if it's just a really fast loading ride like Pirates.

As for Cars Land, again, I don't think you need to have seen Cars to get the idea, and I don't know that having seen the movie makes it any more or less enjoyable. The cars are stereotypes of the kind of person that you would expect to drive that car (hard-core republican gun owner kind of guy driving the military jeep, free-loving hippie nature guy driving the VW Bus, etc.). I don't care for two of the rids, but RSR is a lot of fun, if a little too short. The biggest thing for me are the characters inside the ride, who are the most realistic I've ever seen before. That I would definitely like to continue.

More than anything else though, I really enjoy the night parties with Tron and now Mad T Party. There isn't really adequate space for them in Hollywood Land, and the decor really looks bad during the day, so I would love it if Disney would build a space specifically for a themed night party that they could change out every year or so. It also would be fun if they got legit bands to play from time to time like back when they used to have the Fab Four play at the Tomorrowland Terrace. A night party with an outdoor band totally fits the California theme (think of the Hollywood Bowl, the Gibson Amphitheater, Irvine Meadows, etc.). One night a week they could even do swing dancing for the people who used to go to the Plaza Gardens. They could also have multi-day events there like a small food & wine festival or like the Greek festival that they did a few weekends ago. Big Thunder Ranch somewhat serves that purpose at Disneyland (although I think it's way under-utilized), and they need something like that at DCA.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Nutty about Disney parks

They need to steer from Pixarifying everything. The DCA is a success compared to what was there before because the rides are more detailed, more family friendly, and far less generic than what existed there before. So far they are halfway to completing DCA's true potential. There's still plenty of work to be done though.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, partly yes and partly no.

If we go all the way back to when the makeover began, it started with Tower of Terror, which is great but because of WDW we know it could be even better.

Then we got Toy Story Mania, which is one of the most fun non-roller coaster rides at any park, and consistently has a 90 minute wait even though it's several years old. I don't think it will matter if people have seen Toy Story or not for that ride, you get the idea pretty quickly.

The Paradise Pier garden is nice, but I still wish the food was a little bit more high-end and not burgers and pizza.

I am in the minority as someone who does not like the World of Color, but I recognize that a lot of people love it so the fact that the show exists does not bother me. I do hate that they have to close down anything at all in order to do the show, and that is something that Disney needs to figure out how to get away from.

The Little Mermaid does not appeal to me at all in the same way that Peter Pan or Alice or Casey Jr does not appeal to me since I don't have kids, so I really can't even comment on that. It never seems to have a line, so I don't know if that means even kids don't like it, or if it's just a really fast loading ride like Pirates.

As for Cars Land, again, I don't think you need to have seen Cars to get the idea, and I don't know that having seen the movie makes it any more or less enjoyable. The cars are stereotypes of the kind of person that you would expect to drive that car (hard-core republican gun owner kind of guy driving the military jeep, free-loving hippie nature guy driving the VW Bus, etc.). I don't care for two of the rids, but RSR is a lot of fun, if a little too short. The biggest thing for me are the characters inside the ride, who are the most realistic I've ever seen before. That I would definitely like to continue.

More than anything else though, I really enjoy the night parties with Tron and now Mad T Party. There isn't really adequate space for them in Hollywood Land, and the decor really looks bad during the day, so I would love it if Disney would build a space specifically for a themed night party that they could change out every year or so. It also would be fun if they got legit bands to play from time to time like back when they used to have the Fab Four play at the Tomorrowland Terrace. A night party with an outdoor band totally fits the California theme (think of the Hollywood Bowl, the Gibson Amphitheater, Irvine Meadows, etc.). One night a week they could even do swing dancing for the people who used to go to the Plaza Gardens. They could also have multi-day events there like a small food & wine festival or like the Greek festival that they did a few weekends ago. Big Thunder Ranch somewhat serves that purpose at Disneyland (although I think it's way under-utilized), and they need something like that at DCA.
    I like your ideas.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast