Merch. and Miniatures

I have been browsing for some Disney merchandise, and the cutest stuff that pops up seems to come from Japan. Does anyone know if Tokyo Disneyland sells better, more unique and quality merchandise?

On another note, I went to The Miniature Time Machine in Tucson, AZ today, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in that sort of thing. Some of the displays were so amazing, and you could feel the love and imagination radiating off of them. It took my breath away how much detail there was in such small spaces. Seeing all of that intricacy and creativity made me miss Disneyland, and made my heart ache a little. I wish that same imagination, love and attention to detail was felt around the park more today.

What Disney has been adding to the park is certainly nice, don't get me wrong, but much of it still feels like it's missing that lingering spark from the touch of a creators' imagination on fire. When someone loves and cares for what they are creating, it is felt. I hope to feel more of that around the park, and see more care and heart put into the worlds they create. I had been feeling that much of my disappointment was simply aging and losing some of my sense of wonder, but after what I experienced today, I don't think that is necessarily the case.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Senior Minion

Re: Merch. and Miniatures

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    On another note, I went to The Miniature Time Machine in Tucson, AZ today, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in that sort of thing. Some of the displays were so amazing, and you could feel the love and imagination radiating off of them. It took my breath away how much detail there was in such small spaces. Seeing all of that intricacy and creativity made me miss Disneyland, and made my heart ache a little. I wish that same imagination, love and attention to detail was felt around the park more today.
    Many, many thanks for posting this! It's a wonderful reminder of the love of miniatures that Walt had, and his pre-Disneyland idea for an exhibition train that would tour the country with a car of animated miniature displays.

What Disney has been adding to the park is certainly nice, don't get me wrong, but much of it still feels like it's missing that lingering spark from the touch of a creators' imagination on fire. When someone loves and cares for what they are creating, it is felt. I hope to feel more of that around the park, and see more care and heart put into the worlds they create. I had been feeling that much of my disappointment was simply aging and losing some of my sense of wonder, but after what I experienced today, I don't think that is necessarily the case.
    Very well said. I think the sense of wonder never goes away. When you see something that truly has that creative spark, that fire of real imagination, you feel it. There's just no doubt about it when it's there -- and no way to fake it when it's not.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Always cool to see a reference to the home town! Always wondered about that place but have never been. Maybe time to give it shot if it carries those types of feelings.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Closed Account

I have been browsing for some Disney merchandise, and the cutest stuff that pops up seems to come from Japan. Does anyone know if Tokyo Disneyland sells better, more unique and quality merchandise?
    In our (American) eyes, they probably do sell more unique merchandise. I can't say whether or not the quality is any better, but as a whole I know that Japan tends to have more freedom over how they treat Disney products/they have more creative control and less brand restrictions. My friend brought some magazines over from Japan that had all sorts of crazy things that we don't see in the US and they were definitely refreshing to see!

I'm wondering (without having yet Googled) whether or not we can access a Japanese version of Disneystore.com, something like disneystore.jp or a subsection fo disneyland.jp and see what kind of merch is for sale over there.

• Closed Account

Double posting over editing:
    ディズニーストア | プレゼント・ギフト | Disneystore

...but I don't think they ship to the US.

I believe that Disneyland Tokyo was able to take Mickey's Duffy bear concept and develop it further than in the US. Sometimes, I do find that many of the Tokyo Disney items are a bit more unique.

• Closed Account

I can't speak of anything personally, but from what I've heard the Japanese have more interest in the whole Duffy concept. I think a lot of Americans find it silly and confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Many, many thanks for posting this! It's a wonderful reminder of the love of miniatures that Walt had, and his pre-Disneyland idea for an exhibition train that would tour the country with a car of animated miniature displays.

Very well said. I think the sense of wonder never goes away. When you see something that truly has that creative spark, that fire of real imagination, you feel it. There's just no doubt about it when it's there -- and no way to fake it when it's not.
    Thank you for the kind words! I too love miniatures, and love that Walt Disney loved them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by d.N.d. View Post
    Always cool to see a reference to the home town! Always wondered about that place but have never been. Maybe time to give it shot if it carries those types of feelings.
    If you are nearby an appreciate miniatures, I certainly recommend it!
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

eh the time museum has one well done room, the rest is just thrown together with not real theme at all. Went there once would not again.