Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: Would you like to see GRR become more Disneyesque?

In February of 2001, my family decided to visit the park to see what it was all about. Needless to say, I remember my parents being embarrassed for Disney, particularly about the Superstar Limo. Ironically, my mom took a picture of Superstar Limo's facade and attached it to a funny caption in her scrapbook: "Superstar Limo - REALLY BAD. Probably won't be there very long." Boy, she was dead right.

Anyways, my most distinct memory (aside from Superstar Limo and the frightening Whoopi Goldberg statues in Golden Dreams) from that day was riding GRR. As a seven-year old kid with a vast imagination (not to brag), I couldn't wait to see a grizzly bear or something lurking along the riverbank. The second we started to enter that big cave, I was full-on expecting to see a Matterhorn-esque Yeti-bear or a Sasquatch in there. Nope. What a disappointment.

If the recent DCA remodel and Timber Mountain Log Ride have taught us anything, it's that there is potential for vast creativity and detail in the theme park realm, particularly a park like DCA 1.0 or Knott's a few years back (and to an extent, still in some areas of both parks). Adding some wildlife, Nature's Wonderland-type gags, and a bear or two would really add something to the rather bland raft ride. It's still a fun ride by all means, and a perfect cool down (rode it on a day with 70% humidity and 100 degree weather, absolutely dreadful weather). Adding animals would be a BIG bonus and a welcome addition.

And while they're at it...bring back the Country Bears.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

I've always thought that the country bears would be just fine on GRR. I never actually saw them (I guess I was just too busy running to the Splash Mountain queue), but in this incarnation, they could be a little more folksy and a little less country. More like the Happy Camper parkmosphere banjo player than say, Billy Ray Cyrus. Those would be the only Disney characters I would welcome on GRR.

Of course, a pair of naturalistic grizzlies would be just as good.

In its current state, there's nothing that actually makes me want to get on that ride except to get soaked on a hot day. This can be more easily accomplished by heading over to the puddle park, or leaving the park and heading to the beach or pool. Thus, I only ride it about once a year (or once out of every 30-50 visits). If that.

Contrast that with Splash Mountain, one of the most richly animated and detailed rides. I'll ride it any day of the year. It's a must-see. Why? Because the chance to see the AAs and hear the songs totally outweighs the risk of getting wet.

Of course, the risk of getting soaked is much greater on GRR, and that cannot be mitigated by the amount of people on the ride vehicle or the location of your seat. I still think the comparison is a good one. If there was anything more to the ride than water and nice scenery, then I would actually ride it.

I agree with this, there's no need to change the theme, it fits the location and theme of its current area, a few animatronics like the bears or fishers would be great.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

This ride has mass potential with animatronics. This could be a thrilling version of Jungle Cruise if they really put their creativity and money into this. Additions of working machinery/dynamite would also add movement and interest to the scenery.

• Senior Minion

^ This!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• i believe in faeries.

i think it's fine the way it is... i'm usually too 'shreikey' from being splashed to even notice the signs, etc. i think animatronics might be lost in an attraction like this.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    This ride has mass potential with animatronics. This could be a thrilling version of Jungle Cruise if they really put their creativity and money into this. Additions of working machinery/dynamite would also add movement and interest to the scenery.
    Yes! A simple depiction with the AA's they make today but in the spirit of the 'Jungle Cruise' days.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    i think it's fine the way it is... i'm usually too 'shreikey' from being splashed to even notice the signs, etc. i think animatronics might be lost in an attraction like this.
    I disagree, in Las Vegas they used to have an attraction like this with a lot of special effects and animatronics designed by Garner Holt. It was the best raft ride I have ever been on.

I believe this was the one, it was called Grand Canyon Rapids:

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    .I was full-on expecting to see a Matterhorn-esque Yeti-bear or a Sasquatch in there. Nope. What a disappointment.
    I vote for Sasquatches and grizzlies, but even better, a living diorama. For that matter, update the diorama on the DL train with animatronics. Bambi the cartoon would be silly but deer are always lovely to look at.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I don't mean to be Mr Buzz Killington here, (Family Guy reference) but wouldn't putting AA's on the ride cause more problems then its worth? First off, I don't know how well one can see them when going by on a rapid ride that goes kind of quick. And those that don't pay attention for them may try to spin around to catch them as they pass by and end up hurting themselves, albeit minor. But although they may be minor, it won't prevent people from suing the park for cause of whiplash.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I don't mean to be Mr Buzz Killington here, (Family Guy reference) but wouldn't putting AA's on the ride cause more problems then its worth? First off, I don't know how well one can see them when going by on a rapid ride that goes kind of quick. And those that don't pay attention for them may try to spin around to catch them as they pass by and end up hurting themselves, albeit minor. But although they may be minor, it won't prevent people from suing the park for cause of whiplash.
    If BTM can have AA's then why not GRR? BTM probably goes faster.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    If BTM can have AA's then why not GRR? BTM probably goes faster.

<forehead smack>
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Put the Country Bears in! You might have to build some structures so they're indoors, but they would be the perfect fit. We already have natural animals along the Frontierland river, and they're nothing special. Even the Hong Kong bears look boring. And it would satisfy the fans who miss the Country Bears.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 06-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Exnay on the untrybearskay but I like the Hong Kong bears.

• Nic

Country Bears are a large variety of bears - on a ride respecting the mascot and State Animal of California, I'd prefer Disney sticks with California Grizzly Bear Animatronics exclusively.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast