Family style Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

I'm about to go to disneyland, and I wanted to try Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. But I saw that it was "family style." Does that mean that I would be sitting with other families? Thanks

Re: Family style Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

Not really. You sit on a "picnic" table near other families. Family style means all food is put in middle of table to share. FWIW it's a great dinner, Tumble WeedbTex is very funny.

What if you go by yourself? Do they still serve just you only?

I would imagine. They seem to bring out servings dependent upon number of dinners. It's just my wife and I when we go.

• Closed Account

It doesn't matter if you have 1 in your party or 10, the experience is the same.

If you like moist chicken, request chicken legs, they are the ones that have the most flavor here. The thighs are also very good. The chicken breasts are dry in my opinion. If you love BBQ get them to bring you BBQ sauce on the side, which they will do for no extra charge, it definitely livens up the chicken which does not have sauce. The cornbread is not the best, really thick and bland, very average. The coleslaw is very good, unless you like your coleslaw on the dry side, then you will find it way too wet.

When you sit, try to get as far away from the petting area as possible, remember it has live animals, and being near it can make you fairly sick from the stench when you are getting ready to eat.

• Selfie Expert

So you don't have to share with others? You only share amongst your party? I pictured one giant table with multiple parties sharing "family style", and that wouldn't really be something I'd like to do.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Monorail Minion

I ate here when it opened, and I thought it was mediocre-below average. I thought I'd give it a try a few weeks ago and it was downright bad. The ribs are disgusting. They have almost no flavor and are very overcooked. The chicken wasn't great either. Everything is clearly baked and not barbequed. The slaw is a vinegar-style slaw rather than a creamy-style, which I prefer. It was probably the second best part of the meal, after the baked beans, which are pretty hard to mess up. I also thought the cornbread was good, although I like thick and heavy cornbread compared to light and crumbly cornbread. I went at lunch, so I did not have the opportunity to experience the smoked sausage or corn cob wheels.

In terms of service, our waitress was nice. It was a slow day and the food was still pretty slow coming out. The drinks took about 10 minutes to come out, which was far too long. After we had finished, an stated we did not want any more food, we were asked 3 times if we wanted more, which was a tad annoying.

While we were seated alone at one of the eight person picnic tables, we were asked if we were ok sharing the 8 person table with another 2 persons (we had 2) if it got busy.

Lastly, the show was loud and not very entertaining. The worst part was the repeated encouragement to the small lunch crowd to participate and sing along.

OVERALL? 1.5-2 stars. Save your cash for the bayou...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• DLR Cast Member

It is really all you can eat, but you don't have to bother going up to a buffet. Your ranch hand brings the food to your table, and keeps bringing more as long as you care to keep eatin'. The tables are picnic tables that seat 6 to 8 comfortably, and if you don't mind sharing with another small party that is great - but if you'd rather not, that's fine Your food is brought to your party - if there is another party at the table, they get their food brought separately. Any more questions, please feel free. My name should tell you where I work.

We had a blast there and thought the food was excellent. Entertainment was great!! Yeah, as was already said you might have to share a table but food will be served to your party separately so you don't have to share with total strangers.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Jim View Post
    It is really all you can eat, but you don't have to bother going up to a buffet. Your ranch hand brings the food to your table, and keeps bringing more as long as you care to keep eatin'. The tables are picnic tables that seat 6 to 8 comfortably, and if you don't mind sharing with another small party that is great - but if you'd rather not, that's fine Your food is brought to your party - if there is another party at the table, they get their food brought separately. Any more questions, please feel free. My name should tell you where I work.
    That answers my question! I'm not a germaphobe by any means, but when it comes to sharing food with strangers, especially food eaten with hands like ribs where people typically lick their fingers, I would be put off. Definitely need to try this place!

• DLR Cast Member

Kelly, if you come to try us then you already know Cowboy Jim. I'm there 5 days/week, and I'd be delighted to meet you

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Jim View Post
    Kelly, if you come to try us then you already know Cowboy Jim. I'm there 5 days/week, and I'd be delighted to meet you
    Love me some cast member friends! If we decide on a day, I'll be in touch and demand a photo with you (I won't post it on here, don't worry)!

• Minion

I ate there alone once. I had a table to myself, but it wasn't that busy, so I don't know if they double-up when it's busier. They served the food in tiny metal buckets that are just right for one or two people. The food wasn't bad, good basic food, but I don't think it was really worth the price when you can get better food for less at other locations in the park.