Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Banned User

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary w/ Richard Sherman

On Friday June 14th there was a special event at the Tiki Room for it's 50th anniversary. Special guests were Bob Gurr, Marty Sklar, Maggie Elliott and the one and only, Richard Sherman. As a Disney fan I've known them for years as only a face in a picture or a name in a book, but to see them in person was such a rare and honored treat for any Disney fan.

The event had two showings, one for lunch and one for dinner. In both cases it began in Club 33 where there was a 5 course, 5-star meal.

Pictured below, a lot of happy Tiki-themed people waiting to get in. Thanks to decades of being a serious Weird Al Yankovic fan I had plenty of Hawaiian shirts to pick from. I shouldn't necessarily be proud of that. As we entered we were all given a flower lei.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  94.7 KB

The five course meal had a very Tiki flavor to it.

Name:  02.JPG
Views: 1663
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  03.JPG
Views: 1623
Size:  108.1 KB

...starting with a Malibu rum and taro chips

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  76.3 KB

moving onto some Ahi Poke ( and more rum - I like this place )

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  130.0 KB

grilled chicken breast in curried coconut ( I already ate the sesame seaweed THEN thought to get a pic. Oops. )

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  123.2 KB

roast pork w/ maui onion ring and pineapple infused wine ( did I mention I really like this place? )

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  99.1 KB

and finally a poi pudding with a slice of dried banana and pretty much the best cup of coffee I've ever had. Mind you, this is a Club 33 cup of coffee so it's pretty fricken' fantastic.

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  100.8 KB

After dinner our host Tim O'Day asked Bob, Marty and Maggie to share some thoughts with us about the Tiki Room. Stories about Walt and what he wanted originally, stories about how much it changed from original concept to finished product, and what expectations were put upon them. The whole experience was really a testament to "can do" attitude. if a job had to be done, they just said "yes" and then figured it out on the fly, a history that Imagineering is known for.

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  86.1 KB

There were some amusing stories about how Wally Boag came to the voice he chose for the Barker bird Juan and ultimately the first bird in the show, Jose.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  96.8 KB

Maggie talked about how they had to try various different materials for the expanding chest sections of the birds. Anything would work for a short time but finding the long-term solution was the real trick. Other effects were made by reversing the directions that feathers naturally go on a bird to give it different animations and actions.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  104.8 KB

Some concept art of was on display for Walt's original idea for a Tiki themed restaurant, ultimately discarded because Walt realized that no one would ever want to leave the place after a meal. Just look at the place! I wouldn't! I'd sit in there all day just watching everything.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  130.9 KB

Finally we made our way to the Tiki Room where we were let in to see Richard Sherman. It was so odd to be in here and see one whole section of benches gone and replaced by a baby grand. Truth be told, I doubt I'll ever see this room the same again knowing where Richard sat and sang.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  90.7 KB

Richard shared some history about how he and Robert wrote for Annette Funicello and speculated that her song Pineapple Princess is probably what made their name pop into Walt's head first when it came time for a Tiki Room song. He sang the following songs for us:

I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)
    Colonel Hathi's March
    Imagination
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
    Feed the Birds
    It's a Small World
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ( which apparently he and his daughter can also sing backwards. Try it the next time you think you're up to it. Good luck! )
    Tiki Town ( a song cut from Mary Poppins )
    Chimpanzoo ( which was also cut from Mary Poppins but used the same melody as Tiki Town )
    Tiki Room

I'm not great at pics of video but here's a little sample of how things went:

Tim surprised the audience ( and maybe Richard as well ) by requesting he play Happy Birthday for a special person. ....himself. Richard's 85th birthday was June 12th, just one day after my own. Richard was joined by Mickey Mouse for a round of Happy Birthday and then we all sat and watched a round of the famous Tiki Room show.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  101.9 KB

As we left, there was a gift for us all. Everyone received a framed feather and flower from the Tiki room. A card on the back stated what part of the attraction it had come from.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  93.8 KB

And then, just for kicks we got in the Ectomobile and drove around Anaheim. Some passersby snapped some pics of us picking up a friend in the Downtown Disney parking lot. It doesn't really factor into an event report on the Tiki Room anniversary but hey,... I'm driving around Disneyland in the Ectomobile. You celebrate your birthday your way, I'll do it my way.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  195.7 KB

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Re: Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room 50th Anniversary w/ Richard Sherman

A-MA-ZING!!! Thank you for letting some of us Tiki Room fanatics live vicariously through your experience!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Great report and photos, thank you!

• Selfie Expert

Fantastic report, and what an experience!! Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Joe Flowers

What an awesome experience! Thank you for taking us along with you.

• Minion

Nice car!!!

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Wow that's awesome!

• Heavy Breather

Amazing!

• MargyDisneylandLover

That looks incredible...Something I would give almost anything to experience...I do not mean to be rude or anything but how much did that cost...all I can find online is like the Jose package which was 85 dollars and I know that had to be more than 85 bucks
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Lovely, sounds so lovely. Thanks for sharing. We never did "leave," did we?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • Banned User

Thanks for asking RemainSeatedPlz87, it's not rude at all. I believe it broke down to about $350 per person but my math could be off a bit. It was a set price for "up to 4 people per party" and I don't recall the exact price. To be clear, this was an event for Club 33 members and you won't ever find anything about it online. It's not open to the public and isn't publicized outside of the circles of those who would even qualify to attend.

The real trick isn't the money, it's being (a) Being a Club 33 member or knowing one, and (b) that member has to put their name into a lottery and be randomly chosen to attend.

Lately they've been having a lot of really neat events for C33 members but in all cases you need to put your name into a lottery drawing and hope to get selected. ...and if selected, you need to open your checkbook and make sure you can cover the cost of attendance. ;-) So yeah, a bit more than $85.

When I was a kid and saw the Club 33 door I figured it was some exclusive club where only the millionaires could go. I was half wrong. It was an exclusive club where only the most die-hard and dedicated of fans go. Genuinely nice people, and some serious Disneyphiles who could probably even beat ME on a Disney trivia game. ...maybe.

Maybe I could beat you?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

What an amazing report! Thanks for sharing! I remember your other Club 33 report and you telling us how fortunate you felt when you were invited by Mr. "Smith". How lucky you must feel to be able to go again! And to be able to go for such an awesome event! Gah, I am so jealous!

Also, I LOVE your car! Is it really yours??

• Minion

Nice write up. Love the car!!
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 06-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyunclesteve View Post
    Maybe I could beat you?
    Heh-heh... You always do.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Also, I LOVE your car! Is it really yours??
    Thanks for the kind words, and yes. It looks like fun until you're the one maintaining it.

Augh, THANK YOU Malcon10t! That was actually a pretty important thing to mention and I forgot! Yeah, IASW was originally a very slow ballad sung more like a solemn children's prayer. Richard played it slow and then said Walt took one listen and told him to step it up a bit, it's a ride not a funeral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast