Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Rock Star Minion

Re: WILL the WDW Epansion Be the Death of DLR's ATTEMPT at Becomming a Destination Re

It's less humid here.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: WILL the WDW Epansion Be the Death of DLR's ATTEMPT at Becomming a Destination Re

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post

What I would like to see, if Disneyland really wants a third park, is for them to relocate all of downtown Disney shopping district to along Harbor Blvd,
    They don't own that property; Downtown Disney is mostly under the Grand Californian Hotel, and there's not enough space even for a few attractions, much less an entire park.

and put the third park where Downtown Disney currently is. It makes sense for a lot of reasons, including the fact that the monorail already services that area and the fact that you would only need one security check. If they do put the third park farther down Harbor Blvd I think it will be a disaster, people don't want to shuttle between parks, they want easy access so they can run from one park to the next park at the last minute to see things like fireworks, World Of Color, and to use fast passes. Not to mention the fact if you had to wait in two different security lines it would be a huge pain in the neck.
    That's just not how it works at Disney's other parks, you need to plan ahead and take transportation between gates.

If they don't want to torch Downtown Disney and turn it into the third park, then they need to start offering up money that people can't refuse for the McDonald's and hotels in the area, torch them and build the third park there. Disneyland's theme parks, regardless of how many they have, need to remain in a clumped together environment because of the unique experiences each park has. For instance, I know many people who go see the Mad T Party, then go to Fantasmic, then go to World Of Color. Park hopping is a lot more practical at Disneyland than Disney World, and the different shows and attractions at each park make it almost necessary. We often go to DCA just to eat lunch because the food's better, or just to ride Ariel. If the third park was down the street, we wouldn't be able to go there for just one or two things.
    Doubtful anything is being "torched". Or that you realize just how easily it will be to park hop to Park three. There could even be a second entrance to DCA at Katella with a skybridge over the intersection to the third park, and these two gates might even be closer than DCA and Disneyland's main entrances are now.

• Special Agent

I think the 7 million attendance figure for the year will probably mean the end to any expansion for awhile. Spending 3 to 4 billion just to get 50% of DL's attendance has to be pretty disappointing and dropping another 3 billion for a fraction of DCA's attendance would just be silly.

I think they will expand someday, but they have to create a concept that will work for a locals oriented resort. Building more gates works in Florida, but it won't work here. They might want to try something like a boutique park (based on marvel or Star Wars most likely), but that too would be pretty risky.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    There could even be a second entrance to DCA at Katella with a skybridge over the intersection to the third park, and these two gates might even be closer than DCA and Disneyland's main entrances are now.
    I haven't seen a possible site layout anywhere, but that would be cool! And if the Skybridge was a conveyor-type bridge it could be good for those with mobility issues as well.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

DCA would need to extend down to where the 7 Eleven is now. And kitty-corner to the southeast, Disney would need to buy the abandoned property at the other corner. It's do-able.

Let's not forget that WDW has the room to expand where DLR does not. I cannot see DLR ever getting to the level of WDW simply because they're jammed packed inside a tight Orange County city with very little breathing room. And though I've left the area before DLR's expansion was finished, didn't they just swallow up the last bit of unoccupied space on their entire property with the completion of Cars Land? That area was the last & final piece of the original parking lot. I was at least still living there in Anaheim when that section closed before construction started. I remember that being the end of an era.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

True but for the right price, Disney can get all the land it needs in OC. It's not as if the resort is bound by Veterans Cemeteries on the periphery. Or even valuable real estate investments, it's mostly lowrise and low rent in the surrounding area.

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I could see WDW pulling away people from out west in Seattle, Vancouver, Denver, Salt Lake, San Fransisco who usually take their families to DLR. Im talking about big spending DLR hotel vacationers.
    Being from Vancouver, I can safely say that it's not simply a matter of choosing to go to Florida because it's better or bigger or has different attractions. It already has different attractions and parks and I still have to work very hard to justify the cost to go there.

Case in point: We just returned from Disneyland in April. We are extremely lucky to have a connection with an accommodation close-by. Basically free to stay for 5 days. It still cost us - a family of 5 - $3000 to go, including groceries, airfare, park tickets and everything. Not pocket change for us (or most people for that matter, I suspect), but doable every couple of years.

When we got back, I had Disney adrenaline running through me and immediately started costing out a WDW vacation. Same 5 day stay and same connection for next-to-nothing accommodation. It gets to roughly $7000. Obviously, we can't go to Florida without seeing USO and Harry Potter so add another $800 or so for 2-3 more days and it starts to close in on a whopping $8000!!! Most of this cost is airfare, so distance is a huge factor. I have been there before, but only because we lived in Georgia for a time and drove down, so I know what I am missing. Still hard to justify.

In the end, would I like to be able to go every year? Sure! But Disneyland will still get to the top of the vacation list first and I am confident that they are not going to sit back and let the world go by. Good stuff will happen there too!

But the question is, is it really fair in this struggling economy to put those businesses out of business? It definitely wouldn't help Disney escape their reputation as a greedy money corporation. It was easy for Walt to put it there, there was nothing there in the beginning except an orange grove. He planted a seed, it grew into this large tree, and everything was drawn to it like bees to honey. One way to put it is its like ivy. One little sprout and it expanded everywhere, but its reaching the end of the wall with not much room left to grow. Now you just have to trim here and there to keep it healthy.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Who cares if the DLR never becomes a vacation destination? It's not even supposed to be like WDW, and it never will be, due to its size. The DLR is an attraction, and California is the destination. That's most likely how it's always going to be.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I should build a large bed & breakfast nearby WDW just for my fellow mice chat minions, so they have an inexpensive place to stay while they visit the resorts. Of course, that's just fantasy speaking.

Transportation costs are going to be the deciding factor for most people now that the days of cheap airfare are over. And we won't get into the other things such as weather and time difference. It's brutal trying to wake up in time for rope drop at WDW if you're from the West Coast.

I think spending some money in Florida can only be a good thing. California has had large sums of money spent on over the past decade while WDW is basically rotting.

Yes I'd like to see something different and new but any improvement is better than none.

As for the resort question Disneyland will never rival WDW there just isn't the land. It will always be a theme park centre with shops and a few hotels, not the big Florida resorts, water parks, golf etc and I think that's how it should be.

Im happy with things as they are and there is plenty which can be done before park no 3. Conneting the new park to the rest of the resort should be relatively simple and could be an attraction in itself if they use a monorail or peoplemover.

They did spend money over in Florida, and they still are. Its called the Fantasyland Expansion. And it's still being worked on. One project at a time for them. I think once that's done, they may focus to "other speculated projects" such as Star Wars or Avatar themed attractions/parks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12