Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

WILL the WDW Epansion Be the Death of DLR's ATTEMPT at Becomming a Destination Resort

Its obviouse that Disney has been attempting to turn DLR into a bonafide vacation destination for family tourists from all over the country, increasingly Texas and the Midwest, and the Pacific Rim. The DCA expansion was a big step in that direction. However, with the increasingly likely massive WDW expansion of Carsland and Star Wars to the studios, and Avatarland in AK, I cant think of a single reason anyone who could choose to vacation at either resort would choose DLR. With DLR being robbed of its 1 recent unique and amazing attraction in Carsland, as well as the ubelievable pull that will be Star Wars, possibly even bigger than Potter, DLR will be even more overshadowed than ever before. DLR was definitely making inroads into Texas, Denver, Chicagoland and elsewhere. With what WDW will be offering after expansion, I cant see anyway anybody from any of those areas could justify choosing DLR. Im a massive DLR homer who now lives in Texas, and I wouldnt even be able to justify taking my family to DLR over WDW.
    I was hoping DLR was heading in the right direction and realy being put on the map with Carsland.
    Now with WDW getting a cloned version of that, plus much more, while DLR contemplates a new ride or 2 over the next 5-7 years, Im afraid DLR will become even more of a locals park. I could see WDW pulling away people from out west in Seattle, Vancouver, Denver, Salt Lake, San Fransisco who usually take their families to DLR. Im talking about big spending DLR hotel vacationers.
    With DLR not being able to have anything original anymore, it just realy doesnt have a chance. Star Wars is probably out of the mix as Disney will want that to be DHS exclusive for a very long time and DLR probably doesnt have the money to build another massively expensive land like they did with Carsland. Even if they did get it, it would be a clone and already exist elswhere.
    I have to say I am getting increasingly dissappointed at TDA being ok with just standing pat with nothing of any significance in the plans while everyone else is going gangbusters.
    When the dust settles, it just might be too late for DLR to ever be more than what it is right now.

• SORCERER

Re: WILL the WDW Epansion Be the Death of DLR's ATTEMPT at Becomming a Destination Re

Did I Miss something? When did Disney officially announce they were bringing a Cars Land clone to WDW, or a star wars land? Nothing official has been release to the public yet and at this point everything it is just speculation and rumors. I only see cars land being duplicated in a foreign Disney park.

DLR is still attempting to be a multiday resort and that is there goal. So I dont think you have anything to worry about yet. /Just wait for D23 and hope to get some real answers on were park expansion is heading too.

Also remember anything can change, for example Disney's Avatar plans for Animal Kingdom may never come to existence, as this was an announcement made before they purchased star wars and Indiana jones. I dont think Disney will want to invest in licensing deals for Avatar especially since they can just use star wars, which is more popular anyway. Just my speculation.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 06-16-2013 at 11:37 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: WILL the WDW Epansion Be the Death of DLR's ATTEMPT at Becomming a Destination Re

I'm not too worried for DLR. It will grow too, just will take a few more years because there are a lot more infrastructure needs. Plus those two parks really need work, there's no question about that. They're the ones that are in the toughest competition with the Universal parks. Many people will visit the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but it then becomes more of a decision to do the other Disney parks or spend some days at Universal. It should actually work out well for Disney. They can give WDW the new stuff and in a few years when DLR's third gate is built it can get a Star Wars land as well but also offer its own new things too including Marvel obviously. That way they'll spread put the big openings and not have the resorts have to directly compete with big openings at the same time. I don't think that there's some artificial timeline that D:R must be rushed into being a resort or it will never be able to get there. If they solidify DCA and build a great third gate people all around the world will want to visit DLR.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm not too worried for DLR. It will grow too, just will take a few more years because there are a lot more infrastructure needs. Plus those two parks really need work, there's no question about that. They're the ones that are in the toughest competition with the Universal parks. Many people will visit the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but it then becomes more of a decision to do the other Disney parks or spend some days at Universal. It should actually work out well for Disney. They can give WDW the new stuff and in a few years when DLR's third gate is built it can get a Star Wars land as well but also offer its own new things too including Marvel obviously. That way they'll spread put the big openings and not have the resorts have to directly compete with big openings at the same time. I don't think that there's some artificial timeline that D:R must be rushed into being a resort or it will never be able to get there. If they solidify DCA and build a great third gate people all around the world will want to visit DLR.
    +1

• Dead men tell no tales.

Even if more people visit WDW than DLR, honestly it doesn't bother me one bit. All it means is fewer lineups

• Minion

Apparently what WDW's getting for their Carsland isn't a direct port. Racers is supposedly being reworked into more of a dark ride and they're skipping Flying Tires entirely.

Personally I think they should just abandon the idea of a full Cars area and focus on bringing other Pixar movies into the mix.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Closed Account

First of all, nothing is set in stone by Disney. And it will take years for Disney World to get a Carsland (if it happens), an Avatar land (again if it happens), and a Star Wars land (again if it happens). During that time, there will be plenty of reasons to visit Disneyland, including the currently unique Carsland. Even if Disney World does get a Carsland, it won't be a duplicate of what DCA currently has.

As for Disneyland becoming a destination resort, I would like to see it actually not grow into a third park. The Disneyland area gets so congested when there is a busy day at the parks. It can take hours to get down Harbor Blvd when it's a holiday without ahead planning. I love the fact that Disneyland has the classic, original feel to it, and does not seem overwhelming like Disney World, or completely impossible to take in everything. I still hate the idea of them possibly putting a third park in the Toy Story parking area, and then making the third park down there, as I think it will turn Harbor Blvd into a traffic jam worse than the Las Vegas Strip. It doesn't matter how many buses, trolleys, high speed rail systems, etc are added, there will still be a massive amount of cars in the area if there is a third park.

What I would like to see, if Disneyland really wants a third park, is for them to relocate all of downtown Disney shopping district to along Harbor Blvd, and put the third park where Downtown Disney currently is. It makes sense for a lot of reasons, including the fact that the monorail already services that area and the fact that you would only need one security check. If they do put the third park farther down Harbor Blvd I think it will be a disaster, people don't want to shuttle between parks, they want easy access so they can run from one park to the next park at the last minute to see things like fireworks, World Of Color, and to use fast passes. Not to mention the fact if you had to wait in two different security lines it would be a huge pain in the neck.

If they don't want to torch Downtown Disney and turn it into the third park, then they need to start offering up money that people can't refuse for the McDonald's and hotels in the area, torch them and build the third park there. Disneyland's theme parks, regardless of how many they have, need to remain in a clumped together environment because of the unique experiences each park has. For instance, I know many people who go see the Mad T Party, then go to Fantasmic, then go to World Of Color. Park hopping is a lot more practical at Disneyland than Disney World, and the different shows and attractions at each park make it almost necessary. We often go to DCA just to eat lunch because the food's better, or just to ride Ariel. If the third park was down the street, we wouldn't be able to go there for just one or two things.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

What I think your problem is you are over worrying about a numbers game that shouldn't concern anyone but those who work at Burbank, TDO, or TDA. DLR expansion help fix a few problems the occurred but in 2001. All of the work at WDWR comes from the big synergy that is the Disney Company. Just look new Fantasyland there is only one new rollercoaster and dinning restaurant that rest of it was replacing, reusing, redoing. Also you need to keep in mind that based on the studies done majority of people east of the Rockies prefer WDW and everyone West prefers DL with more people in Canada preferring DL. For me it does not matter what they do in Florida my home resort will always be Disneyland because its 20 minutes from me but most of the people on the site will say that as well because the environment at DL is always going to better than WDW.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• -

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Not to mention the fact if you had to wait in two different security lines it would be a huge pain in the neck.
    Security checks are not that big of a hassle. Usually people are through them in about five minutes. The proximity of the park is still closer than all of the Disney World parks and they require a second time through security when park hopping. Not really that big of a deal.

If they don't want to torch Downtown Disney and turn it into the third park, then they need to start offering up money that people can't refuse for the McDonald's and hotels in the area, torch them and build the third park there.
    This would be an impractical expense and take away from the budget that is set aside for a third park. Why pay money to acquire land when there is already a large enough area of land set aside? In addition, there would be demolition expenses associated with razing the land across the street that wouldn’t be needed at the Toy Story lot. All that would take away from the final product.

If the third park was down the street, we wouldn't be able to go there for just one or two things.
    Why not? It’s not like they are going to be miles away from each other. The Toy Story lot is just a slightly longer walk than going to Mickey and Friends. Most likely, Disney would include a tram from the esplanade to the other park so those who do not want to walk don’t have to.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

I think you are WAAAYYY over simplifying the issue brianpinsky. I understand the dynamics that exist now, but my point is that I think the dynamics could change.
    Also, I know nothing has been confirmed, but with the amount of different sources backing up this information, its looking pretty strong.
    Also, Im not talking about west coasters who have a borderline religious tie to DLR, but about families who want to take a Disney vacation that might start opting to head out to WDW because of the massiveness of the possible new offerings.
    Im not saying that absolutely this WILL be the new dynamic on the west coast, Im saying that it wouldn't shock me if this was indeed to take place in the future.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Also, I know nothing has been confirmed, but with the amount of different sources backing up this information, its looking pretty strong.
    None of the sources are official Disney ones. I won't call any of these rumors are strong unless confirmed by an official source. Until then it is just internet speculation.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Im not sure if its good judgement for Disney to base if they build a 3rd gate or not on weather it doesn't take any effort to get there. Transportation of some sort between the different parks would be more than adequate. Would still be IMMENSELY easier to navigate than WDW.

That reminds me, why do I never hear anyone complain about getting to the MK at WDW. What a total pain in the butt. You have to park, then make your way to the ferry or all the way over to the Monorail, then make the trip across the lake. Then you have to make your way off the platform, which isn't exactly easy with kids, then make your way over to the front gates. Its a royal pain in the but IMHO. But, I never hear anyone else talk about it so I guess Im just a wuss.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Security checks are not that big of a hassle. Usually people are through them in about five minutes. The proximity of the park is still closer than all of the Disney World parks and they require a second time through security when park hopping. Not really that big of a deal.

This would be an impractical expense and take away from the budget that is set aside for a third park. Why pay money to acquire land when there is already a large enough area of land set aside? In addition, there would be demolition expenses associated with razing the land across the street that wouldn’t be needed at the Toy Story lot. All that would take away from the final product.

Why not? It’s not like they are going to be miles away from each other. The Toy Story lot is just a slightly longer walk than going to Mickey and Friends. Most likely, Disney would include a tram from the esplanade to the other park so those who do not want to walk don’t have to.
    But to hop from DCA to Disneyland, I don't have to go back to Toy Story parking lot or Mickey and Friends Parking Lot. We refuse to use the parking garage (Mickey and Friends) because it doesn't meet our needs. When Disneyland torches the Pumbaa and Toy Story Lots, it will be the end of our visits unfortunately. What I am saying is that say I want to catch Mad T Party, I go to DCA, it takes less than 5 minutes to get in the gate, then I want to see Fantasmic, I go to Disneyland, again takes less than 5 minutes to get in the gate. Then say the third park has some night time thing I want to see that's less than a half hour away and I want to be spontaneous, I don't have time to do the whole tram thing to get there, and till get to where I want to be.

The problem with Disney World is that it is too spread out. That's why we won't vacation there. With a rollator, every little tram, monorail, bus, etc is one more hassle, and one less thing we get to do that day because we have to expend the energy to deal with the tram, monorail, bus, etc.

Security checks are a hassle when you have a lot of stuff you bring to the parks. Due to disabilities, we pack two stuffed full backpacks between us, which include everything from pills to a change of clothes and everything in between. We also have the rollator which is difficult to get on the trams, but a piece of cake on the monorail and buses from the Toy Story Lot. That has a basket that is usually full of jackets and other things. Between my boyfriend and I we have a three page detailed list of items we have to take with us to spend 3-6 hours at Disneyland. Some days we get there, and we don't have the energy to last more than an hour, but the exercise is needed. So while security might not seem like a big deal for some, it's an extra 9 minutes in our day, that we could be spending doing something else.

• Banned User

Of course nothing is official until Disney announces, but we have seen construction even begin on some projects before an official announcement.
    Also, don't forget that the entire DCA makeover was leaked well before any announcement and the leaks for the most part, from Al, Jim and other were pretty close. Noone said mark it down, its definite, not sure where you got that from, but it is looking like a pretty decent possibility that this is going to happen, but we will see.
    These rumors aren't coming from a singular source lik the Monsters coaster, but are being quoted from numerous people who are saying they are getting this information from multiple inside sources. Doesn't mean its definite, but does mean something.

• -

But to hop from DCA to Disneyland, I don't have to go back to Toy Story parking lot or Mickey and Friends Parking Lot.
    Why would you have to go back to the parking lot to get to the third park?

Then say the third park has some night time thing I want to see that's less than a half hour away and I want to be spontaneous, I don't have time to do the whole tram thing to get there, and till get to where I want to be.
    How can you be sure it would take more than a half an hour to take the tram over to the new park? It doesn’t take that long to take it to the structure now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast