Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: Dry ice bomber released on OR

Personally I think that at this point they don't even need to sentence him to anything. They should just drop the charges at this point. He should be fired, and he got a scare having to stay in jail for a few weeks. I think they've made their point.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• -

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    There was no shrapnel, no flames or fire as a result, just some spooked people from the noise.
    There was much more than just some "spooked people". As I stated before, there were all the people who had their day impacted by the closure of one of the lands of the park. There were all the people at Disneyland who had to investigate this. There was also the expense to the tax payers of having law enforcement come in and do an investigation. A few "spooked people" only scratches the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Personally I think that at this point they don't even need to sentence him to anything. They should just drop the charges at this point. He should be fired, and he got a scare having to stay in jail for a few weeks. I think they've made their point.
    So just let the tax payers pay the bill for the investigation and let this guy go on his merry way, huh?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Okay but I still think it shouldn't be taken lightly, regardless who takes action. He deserves whatever he gets.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    Okay but I still think it shouldn't be taken lightly, regardless who takes action. He deserves whatever he gets.
    Exactly. Actions have consequences.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So just let the tax payers pay the bill for the investigation and let this guy go on his merry way, huh?
    So what do you propose? That they have a trial that the tax payers pay for as well, and then sentence him to jail and have the tax payers pay for that too? We've paid enough just for his investigation, arrest and the few weeks he was in jail!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I dont feel sorry for him at all. yea it was just dry ice but actions have consequences and he needs to take responsibility for doing something that stupid.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So what do you propose? That they have a trial that the tax payers pay for as well, and then sentence him to jail and have the tax payers pay for that too? We've paid enough just for his investigation, arrest and the few weeks he was in jail!
    He is sentence doesn't necessarily have to be jail time. He could be assigned community service until he's worked off the amount of money that his stupid stunt cost the tax payers.

• Banned User

I found the lack of support (and basic awareness) from management to be disturbing. Sometimes a company has a separate culture of pranks. This employee didn't do this on his own. He was tempted by others who showed him how it was done. Management didn't do its job by tamping it down. They looked the other way and now they are letting him be the fall guy. If he had a good lawyer, Disney management should be disposed on this matter. They should drop the case. Disney should give him and his supervisors a reprimand. No one should be fired this time, but perhaps the next time.

• Banned User

He is sentence doesn't necessarily have to be jail time. He could be assigned community service until he's worked off the amount of money that his stupid stunt cost the tax payers.
    No, I think Disney should pay the amount especially since the Disney culture is partially at blame.

Orange County residents who feel strongly about this case should remember some names which might appear in future elections:

Superior Court Judge Nicholas S. Thompson
    Deputy District Attorney Andrew Katz (likely appointed, but the DA is elected)
    District Attorney Tony Rackauckus

• Dive ..... Dive.....

There was much more than just some "spooked people". As I stated before, there were all the people who had their day impacted by the closure of one of the lands of the park. There were all the people at Disneyland who had to investigate this. There was also the expense to the tax payers of having law enforcement come in and do an investigation. A few "spooked people" only scratches the surface.

You really don't forgive very easily do you? The guy made a stupid decision to put the dry ice in the bottle and deserves to be fired, but what you are suggesting is a complete overreaction. People make dumb mistakes in their life but this is hardly intentionally malicious. Community service should be his only punishment. The real ones who deserve to pay for this is the media for blowing it out of proportion with ridiculous words like "explosion" and "bomb" knowing full well that this was someone playing with dry ice.

• Closed Account

Yep. Like I said, some easy time + fine + community service (and of course the whole job termination which means you cant use that on your resume) should be harsh enough without crucifying the guy. As others have said, actions have consequences and that sounds fair without going overboard, and without being too easy.

This whole thing got blown way overboard. It seems as though this kind of prank has happened before, on numerous occasions. Terrorists have actually succeeded here. Making people so terrified that a small prank will have a young man's life ruined. He didn't hurt anyone. He may have impacted people's day but so does RSR when they shut down and so does that person who texted and got into an accident that shut the I-5 down. Does that mean that that person should rot to death in jail? When did the US get so cynical and lose their compassion and tolerance for such small, and most times fun, pranks? One of the managers admit to doing it before when he was an outdoor vendor. Should he be fired too?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I found the lack of support (and basic awareness) from management to be disturbing. Sometimes a company has a separate culture of pranks. This employee didn't do this on his own. He was tempted by others who showed him how it was done. Management didn't do its job by tamping it down. They looked the other way and now they are letting him be the fall guy. If he had a good lawyer, Disney management should be disposed on this matter. They should drop the case. Disney should give him and his supervisors a reprimand. No one should be fired this time, but perhaps the next time.
    I agree training and management is partially responsible for this, as well. Very well appears that there was a precedent set previously for looking the other way for the same type of prank being pulled, several times in the past. I don't have sympathy for him pulling this in the park when it was open, but this kid has already spent more time in jail than ALL other Cast members who have done a similar thing, and lost his job. Just how many other Cast Members have lost their job for placing dry ice in a plastic bottle?

•   
    • Minion

The thing is, it went off during park hours, onstage, in a crowded area, and that is what makes it different from the other pranks. This kid lacked the insight to know that it wasn't professional to play a practical joke onstage in a manner that could affect others. Throwing the dry ice into the garbage can where a cleaning crew member is going to find it and possibly be hurt isn't the same as doing something at the cart that only affects him. - #1. The kid lacked the insight to know that something that exploded or made a loud noise would startle and possibly panic the guests in the area - #2. The kid's lack of insight led to a police investigation, which took time and money. #3. The kid is very lucky that there wasn't a stampede or panic when the garbage can went boom, because what he did was like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. #4.

Given all of that, it's a bit more serious than just a sophomoric prank. Is someone in their teenage years or early 20s necessarily going to have a lot of maturity and foresight? No. However, it's basic common sense not to do what he did onstage, and to know jthat jokes with colleagues need to happen out of guest proximity, or at least in a way that isn't going to incite panic among them. When you're 10 and you're in school you know not to joke around in front of the teacher...same concept.

And intent unfortunately doesn't totally mitigate consequences in the adult world. You might not mean to cause harm, but when harm's done, it can't be taken back.

I do hope it will be plea bargained down to a misdemeanor, and I don't think the kid is a terrorist, but holding him legally accountable for what he did - for the police investigation and so forth - is warranted.
    Last edited by Malina; 06-17-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast