Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dry ice bomber released on OR

From Mouse Planet this morning. I feel sorry for the kid. What he did was wrong but not worth a felony conviction on his record the rest of his life. Also, shows lack of training and supervision at Disneyland for the cart CMs

The
    Associated Press reports that 22-year-old Christian Barnes, the former Disneyland cast member charged with causing two dry ice blasts in Toontown on May 28, has been released from jail on his own recognizance. Barnes was originally held on a half-million dollar bail, which the judge reduced to $50,000 during the arraignment.
    Barnes is accused to placing dry ice from his outdoor vending cart into plastic bottles. According to a report by CBS Los Angeles, Barnes left one bottle inside his cart before leaving for a break, and dropped the second bottle in the Toontown trash can on his way to the break room behind Toontown. Both bottles exploded, with the second blast triggering an hours-long closure of Toontown and an investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's department bomb squad. Disney said that there had been no injuries or damage from the blasts. Barnes is charged with possession of a destructive device, a felony charge that could mean up to seven years in prison and restitution for the police response. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.
    As more details come out, it seems this is less an isolated incident, and instead a prank that went too far. A former Disneyland employee who worked in the outdoor vending department from 1993 to 1997 tells MousePlanet that dry ice pranks were common when she worked there. "You get bored when you're on those wagons," she said, saying that cast members would pass the time by playing with the dry ice used to keep the ice cream frozen. She said, "We'd add dry ice and water to an empty box and shake it to make popping sounds," or "put dry ice in empty Coke bottles to watch the smoke."
    While this former cast member said she never personally created a dry ice "bomb," she knew that other cast members made them and left them in the cart "if you knew who your next person was going to be and you wanted to play a joke on them." She said managers were likely unaware of the pranks, recalling, "We really didn't have supervision at all."
    Barnes is due back in court on July 17

• Unhelpful User

Re: Dry ice bomber released on OR

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    From Mouse Planet this morning. I feel sorry for the kid. What he did was wrong but not worth a felony conviction on his record the rest of his life. Also, shows lack of training and supervision at Disneyland for the cart CMs

The
    Associated Press reports that 22-year-old Christian Barnes, the former Disneyland cast member charged with causing two dry ice blasts in Toontown on May 28, has been released from jail on his own recognizance. Barnes was originally held on a half-million dollar bail, which the judge reduced to $50,000 during the arraignment.
    Barnes is accused to placing dry ice from his outdoor vending cart into plastic bottles. According to a report by CBS Los Angeles, Barnes left one bottle inside his cart before leaving for a break, and dropped the second bottle in the Toontown trash can on his way to the break room behind Toontown. Both bottles exploded, with the second blast triggering an hours-long closure of Toontown and an investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's department bomb squad. Disney said that there had been no injuries or damage from the blasts. Barnes is charged with possession of a destructive device, a felony charge that could mean up to seven years in prison and restitution for the police response. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.
    As more details come out, it seems this is less an isolated incident, and instead a prank that went too far. A former Disneyland employee who worked in the outdoor vending department from 1993 to 1997 tells MousePlanet that dry ice pranks were common when she worked there. "You get bored when you're on those wagons," she said, saying that cast members would pass the time by playing with the dry ice used to keep the ice cream frozen. She said, "We'd add dry ice and water to an empty box and shake it to make popping sounds," or "put dry ice in empty Coke bottles to watch the smoke."
    While this former cast member said she never personally created a dry ice "bomb," she knew that other cast members made them and left them in the cart "if you knew who your next person was going to be and you wanted to play a joke on them." She said managers were likely unaware of the pranks, recalling, "We really didn't have supervision at all."
    Barnes is due back in court on July 17
    This thread should be merged with explosion in toontown!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    I feel sorry for the kid.
    I feel sorry for all the park goers who had to have their day at Disneyland impacted by the closure of Toontown, for the Disney employees who had to put up with guest complaints and questions due to the closure, and last but not least the tax payers who had to pay for law enforcement officials to come out and investigate the disturbance. All of this was due to an immature prank by someone who obviously did not have the common sense to realize that things like this could have consequences in a post-9/11 and post-Boston society. I just wonder how many people would feel sorry for this idiot if people actually got hurt or trampled in the potential “fire in the theater” atmosphere that this could have created.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    This thread should be merged with explosion in toontown!
    Why?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I feel bad for him, too. Our guys at work used to do a lot of dry-ice "bombs," too, though we never did it while clients were in. And now that it can result in real police response and all, they don't do them anymore. They're startling in the moment, but overall not meant (or for the most part, likely) to do harm. The note from the other cast member that they'd leave bombs in the cart for the next person strikes me as something kids would do.

Make him pay the city back for the police response. That should be punishment enough- he'll know not to do it again. He'll remember.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Foolish Mortal

While a felony may sound harsh, I don't feel sorry for him to be honest, calsig brings up some excellent points to support my stance. Today we live in a much different society where incidents such as this shouldn't be taken lightly, and a message has definitely been sent to others that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated. To me it is a step in the right direction to help curb others from thinking they can do this, and only get away with a "slap on the wrist" more or less.

All in all, it is an unfortunate situation.

• Minion

I feel sorry that a 22 year old is immature enough to pull off a high school prank. I'm hoping he grows up after this.

Release on OR is appropriate here since the suspect is a life long resident of So California, has no prior criminal record and does not seemingly pose any additional threat to the general public.

Since his crime resulted in no injuries or significant property damage and seemed to lack malicious intent, he will be most likely offered to plead guilty to some sort of misdemeanor criminal mischief. A guilty plea will probably get him a few years of probation along with perhaps community service and no further jail time. No reason to feel sorry for him.

• Closed Account

There's a lot of "holier-than-thou" responses here. The guy's young and still apt to do pranky things, especially when you're at work with your usual crew of coworkers. His mistake resulted in a lot of media attention, so the "crime" has exponentially appeared worse than it actually is. The media and similar people are making it out as if he created a pipe bomb: this isn't the Boston bombing, people. He should lose his job and receive a fine possibly with a minimal plea bargain of community service or whatever is of equal value.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    His mistake resulted in a lot of media attention, so the "crime" has exponentially appeared worse than it actually is.
    Here’s how I understood it from the media coverage. The guy failed to use proper judgment and set the thing off on-stage during business hours. The resulting panic caused a closure of an entire land and cost Disney man hours and money to investigate as well as costing the tax payers money to have law enforcement officers investigate the incident. This is the basic reality of the situation and not media sensationalism.

• Minion

ORDDU: This witch is torn between two opposing points of view. While I agree that the prankster needs to pay a price for what he did, it also seems as though he is being 'over-punished'. His life will never be the same after this. This one incident is going to haunt him for the rest of his life. Because he is so young, I'd hate to see his life ruined so soon--or at all. At the same time, he really should have known better than to do something like that on stage during operating hours. Everyone makes mistakes and the punishment should always fit the crime. Sometimes it's difficult to know just what the appropriate punishment is. Above all we should not think we're any better than he is just because we haven't yet been caught for whatever mistakes we've made...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This is the basic reality of the situation and not media sensationalism.
    Most of what I read included words like "explosion" and "blast," of which there were really none. A "very loud pop" would have been more accurate. There was no shrapnel, no flames or fire as a result, just some spooked people from the noise.

I don't see how Disney had any choice but to bring the hammer down hard on this guy. Regardless of his history or of his character - he placed himself in that situation. They absolutely had to set the example for anyone else both employees and patrons that this is not considered a joke and that people can expect to be in safe surroundings while in Disneyland. With the fear of terrorist acts out there - Disney could respond in only one way and they did so, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    I don't see how Disney had any choice but to bring the hammer down hard on this guy. Regardless of his history or of his character - he placed himself in that situation. They absolutely had to set the example for anyone else both employees and patrons that this is not considered a joke and that people can expect to be in safe surroundings while in Disneyland. With the fear of terrorist acts out there - Disney could respond in only one way and they did so, imo.
    Disney isn't the one "bringing the hammer down" on the guy. Its the state of California.

The moment Disney called 911 is the moment they lost all control over what happens in this situation.

• Closed Account

Exactly what Ryan has said. Specifically I want to say its an Orange County thing, which is what resulted in his ridiculously high bail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast