Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Locals only! How is a 3rd gate going to change your DLR resort visiting experienc

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    But the Mickey's Parking Garage is definitely not a way to sell anyone on a Disney parking garage.
    Yeah, that's why I dubbed it "Sticky and Friends". It's pretty disgusting, and if I have to defend Sticky and Friends to win an argument, I'll lose.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Locals only! How is a 3rd gate going to change your DLR resort visiting experienc

It's not a stroller, it's a rollator. It's like a walker, but with wheels and a seat. And it's not just about folding it. It's about not having a place to unpack it/assemble it in the parking garage because there is not enough room like there is in the Toy Story or Pumbaa parking lot. Also, the lines for the elevators at the Mickey's Parking Garage can take an hour plus out of our day. When you are disabled, and might only be able to last 2-3 hours in the park, every minute counts. We can get into the Toy Story Parking Lot, on a bus and to Disneyland in under fifteen minutes. And yes, if there were parking garages only we would no longer attend Disney theme parks.
    I don't understand why you think there's more free room around your parking space in the lot than there is in your parking space in the garage. And I can't believe it ever takes an hour or more to get into a Disney elevator.

Without the convenience of being able to assemble it when we arrive, and the elevator wait. We usually get to the Toy Story parking lot about a half hour before the parking lot opens, and park with all of the regular cars, usually in Woody, where we have a very short walk (usually we are near the end of a row) to the bus.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Yeah, that's why I dubbed it "Sticky and Friends". It's pretty disgusting, and if I have to defend Sticky and Friends to win an argument, I'll lose.
    The real question to you is what makes you think Disneyland would make a new parking garage any different than the existing one? Since they think it's the greatest thing ever and area always trying to convince people it's the best place to park.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The best place to park the masses is at home, and have them come on the train.

For those who do come in a private automobile, the next best thing is to stack the cars into a garage that takes up a smaller footprint.

Mickey and Friends wasn't very well laid out or planned, isn't very well maintained, and could and should be a lot more inviting. But it's still better than acres of paved over land with cars baking in the sun. That's a massive waste of Disney's real estate holdings.

• -

For the trams, they won't let us load it like a wheelchair since it can fold.
    Actually, there are certain aisles on the tram where you don’t have to fold walkers or strollers. When we take the tram instead of walking with our stroller, we always go for one of those aisles so we don’t have to unload the stroller and fold it up.

We also have to assemble it (put the handles on and screw them into place) in the parking lot, because it doesn't fit in the trunk of our car assembled.
    Why couldn’t the handles be put on in the parking structure?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

I don't understand why you think there's more free room around your parking space in the lot than there is in your parking space in the garage. And I can't believe it ever takes an hour or more to get into a Disney elevator.
    Because when we arrive at the Toy Story Parking Lot, they don't park every row they park every other row at the start of the day. There is room to open the trunk, put the rollator together, load our stuff, and go. We can't assemble it ahead of time because there is no place to put it on the way up, it's too long for the backseat, we have a Corolla. In the Mickey and Friends parking garage, there are cars coming through and we have to try and squeeze it on the side of the car, which it doesn't fit to assemble it, and constantly move it out of the way of traffic.

At a minimum, it has always taken at least 30 minutes to get into the Mickey And Friends Parking Structure, and we had one experience (our fault marathon day we didn't know about) where it took well over 3 hours due to traffic and Toy Story being closed. We have to wait a long time for an elevator because once you put two strollers in, the rollator doesn't fit, as it's extra wide. That's not Disney's fault, it's ours, but that is the problem we have with the parking garage.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Because when we arrive at the Toy Story Parking Lot, they don't park every row they park every other row at the start of the day.
    As they do at Mickey and Friends.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, there are certain aisles on the tram where you don’t have to fold walkers or strollers. When we take the tram instead of walking with our stroller, we always go for one of those aisles so we don’t have to unload the stroller and fold it up.

Why couldn’t the handles be put on in the parking structure?
    We have actually been told on 5+ occasions not to use the aisles on the tram that are wide, because they are for wheelchair use only. When we point out that there are strollers there also, they always brush it off, say we can wait for the next one, and we have waited up to 5 trams to get on, so we started folding it. The one time they told us to use the ramp, we waited for 30 minutes, checking with three different cast members twice during our wait, and they said "stay right there" and they ended up then saying our ramp was closed and we had to get in a different ramp line, which now had 13 wheelchairs in it. Mickey and Friends has always been a hassle for us, the whole process. That's why I hope and pray that they never get rid of all the flat parking lots at Disney.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

We have actually been told on 5+ occasions not to use the aisles on the tram that are wide, because they are for wheelchair use only. When we point out that there are strollers there also, they always brush it off, say we can wait for the next one, and we have waited up to 5 trams to get on, so we started folding it. The one time they told us to use the ramp, we waited for 30 minutes, checking with three different cast members twice during our wait, and they said "stay right there" and they ended up then saying our ramp was closed and we had to get in a different ramp line, which now had 13 wheelchairs in it. Mickey and Friends has always been a hassle for us, the whole process. That's why I hope and pray that they never get rid of all the flat parking lots at Disney.
    Downtown Disney and the Disney hotels will probably retain surface parking lots, but for cast members and park guests, I think those days are limited.

• Closed Account

I miss the days of parking where DCA is now, life was so much simpler then! But of course, money came into play, and why shouldn't it, not everyone cares about an easy to use parking lot.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I miss the days of parking where DCA is now, life was so much simpler then! But of course, money came into play, and why shouldn't it, not everyone cares about an easy to use parking lot.
    The expansion could have been better. Too bad they didn't formulate a master plan when Walt was alive, with PeopeMovers, Monorails, boats and trains taking guests from park to park, as the early Imagineers would have designed it.

• Closed Account

The expansion could have been better. Too bad they didn't formulate a master plan when Walt was alive, with PeopeMovers, Monorails, boats and trains taking guests from park to park, as the early Imagineers would have designed it.
    I always wondered "why didn't they" kind of think. I don't think they really thought "that big" back then. Heck, they weren't even sure Disneyland would survive.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I always wondered "why didn't they" kind of think. I don't think they really thought "that big" back then. Heck, they weren't even sure Disneyland would survive.
    I'm suggesting it might have been better planned if they had moved forward in Anaheim instead of Orlando in the late 60's, or even if a general master plan for California had been developed at around that time.

Even with new stuff at DCA there were only a few things I ran in and did and I had plenty of time to spend at DL. It's not just the attractions but the layout of DL that makes it feel good to be there and I can't imagine a new park will *feel* as good as good ol' DL.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Even with new stuff at DCA there were only a few things I ran in and did and I had plenty of time to spend at DL. It's not just the attractions but the layout of DL that makes it feel good to be there and I can't imagine a new park will *feel* as good as good ol' DL.
    Agreed hands down. Disneyland feels like home. The streets that Walt walked, something familiar to return to time after time year after year. The nostalgia and atmosphere means as much as the attractions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast