Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• a wind to shake the stars

Re: truly bad experience at disneyland. need some advice

Ok, I think I can put this to rest.

Here's a video from ComicCon: Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man 3 Suits at San Diego Comic Con 2012 - YouTube

The guy who put together that exhibit says they were all real and on camera. This exhibit is, apparently, the same exhibit.

• Chief Troublemaker

Disney's wording is ambiguous, I am sure intentionally so in order to be sure they aren't promising something in black and white (i.e. saying 'as worn in the movie, Iron Man' which would be patently false) yet allowing conclusions to be drawn by the public (classic 'Mad Men' advertising scenario, I think Don Draper works for Disney Ad Dept). I am also sure that any press release or ad for anything (not just Iron Man) goes through 'legal' before being released to the public. I really doubt if a lawsuit would be successful, and anyway GT says he's not interested in that. Their lawyers could probably successfully argue that they never actually SAID it was real worn-in-the-movie armor. Especially since the conclusion that it is is drawn from two separate sources; the press release and the Innoventions page. Adding them up together is what would lead me to believe that I was seeing 'the real deal'.

That being said I sat myself down and said "what do the words 'authentic movie armors' imply to me?" And I answered myself "A functioning armor costume", meaning a jointed, wearable suit of armor costume whether it was actually worn by an actor or not. Anything else would be a 'prop suit of armor', meaning non-functioning & non-wearable.

When you put the phrases "Tony Stark's Hall of Armor, etc, etc, the same suits featured in Iron Man etc etc" as worded in the press release alongside the Innoventions statement "authentic movie armors" it would certainly imply to me that what I was going to see were actual movie costumes as opposed to prop armor. If all I ever heard about it was that I was going to see the Hall of Armor (the press release without the IMO misleading Innoventions statement), I would think that what I was going to see was a movie set, period. The suits of armor in that movie set may or may not be props, especially if I never actually saw them on Iron Man in any of the movies (and I've never seen any Iron Man movies so I don't know if any of the armors in the Hall look like suits from previous movies).

I think somebody mentioned earlier that the chances are most people would never notice anything was amiss & Disney probably realized that & that most people who did notice would probably just say "well, that's crap" & leave the exhibit disappointed.

GT, write that letter and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Stormy; 06-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• I'm from Canada eh!

I honestly feel like I'm being trolled right now.

Youtube: "Everything is real and it has been on camera before."

If these are the same sets from SDCC, then these have been featured on screen. Good luck with your lawsuit though. I'm sure it won't cost more than the $ you "lost" on this trip...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post

If these are the same sets from SDCC, then these have been featured on screen. Good luck with your lawsuit though. I'm sure it won't cost more than the $ you "lost" on this trip...
    The OP stated many times he has no desire for a lawsuit, money or recompensation etc in this instance. He expresses a seemingly sincere disappointment at having a bad time at Disneyland and has before posted openly about loving to visit the park and having very enjoyable trips there- this is not trolling, but expression of what they went through.

To state disappointment and feeling they were sold something that didn't have the advertised value/contents, deliberately, by Disney marketing is not 'trolling' either - it's a legitimate response and they wanted merely to get the proper contact with customer service at Disney to convey their disappointment when they paid to enter the park and received an experience that did not meet advertised/promoted expectations. A consumer is allowed to state that, and claiming dissatisfaction with Disneyland or any business based on consumer personal experience does not deserve such accusations of trolling or arguments about how wrong they are for feeling a certain way, to my way of thinking.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post

I believe GT is serious and really disappointed & disillusioned. The issue is that he believed, based on what he read from Disney's press release & web page, that he was going to see functioning, wearable Iron Man suits of armor costumes. What he saw were nonfunctioning, non wearable suits of armor props. Both may be equally 'real' as in 'they were seen in the movie' but there is a world of difference between the two.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I believe GT is serious and really disappointed & disillusioned. The issue is that he believed, based on what he read from Disney's press release & web page, that he was going to see functioning, wearable Iron Man suits of armor costumes. What he saw were nonfunctioning, non wearable suits of armor props. Both may be equally 'real' as in 'they were seen in the movie' but there is a world of difference between the two.
    For some reason as I read this, I am envisioning Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• I'm from Canada eh!

Ok, so my bad, not a lawsuit, but are we clear that there are props featured in the movie and parts of hero suits on display?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Yes, that is the case, that actual movie props that were on-screen were included in the Innoventions display.

That statements from Disney's promotion of it remain ambiguous, likely purposefully so, I think is the main issue.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    Now that i have a few extra minutes I can type this all out.

First please let me preface this by saying I am a firm believer in disney magic, at least as far as disneyland is concerned. I buy what they sell.

I also am like most of you on here, and I have a ton of disney stuff from books to attractions posters my gf has painted all around my house. My garden has a disney theme to it. I proposed to my Gf at the blue bayou in Feb, and I actually saved a guys life right before we proposed. Disneyland is "our" place. its the only place we ever vacation.

anyway we had planned to visit for Xmas this year as our second trip. But something came up last month that made us change our minds. We HAD to take an extra trip. before June ended.

The Iron Man exhibit was that thing. When I saw online that it was coming to the parks I actually got a tad bit emotional. Being I was a comic book dork when I was a kid I figured I would never see something like that. those movies wouldnt have been made. But we really could not afford a 3rd trip in one year so oh well.

Well after thinking about it and juggling my bills around for a while we decided because it was a once in a lifetime thing we would take the extra trip. the main reason would be to see the Armor exhibit. essentially we couldnt afford it, but we decided to just do it and we would figure out the rest later.

So we took off extra time off from work we really didnt have, spent money on park tickets and hotel as well as gas to come see this. We also ALWAYS figure out a budget before we go and get it in gift cards so we dont overspend our budget. So the money was all spent before we left Arizona, and Disneyland had it.

We got to the park on thurs morning and wanted to be the 1st ones at the park. we were there a 530 lol. we were first.

we also managed to get in the wheelhouse of the mark twain which was pretty cool

around 10 am after breakfast we finally made our way to innovations to see the exhibit. literally within 10 seconds of looking at the mark 1 armor i knew something was wrong.

you can tell VERY easily by looking at the armors that they do not move. the hinges are cast in solid plastic. these are 1 piece cast replicas that are you can buy online for about 1200 dollars. they are NOT authentic pieces from the movie. the joints do not bend. they were not EVER worn by any stuntman or actor because they are solid. they are replicas. not actual screen used props. or as the DL website puts it "authentic Iron man Armors from Iron man 3"

we managed to get someones ear who was in line for the tiki room celebration at club 33. She acknowledged that when the parts came in whomever was in charge of "dressing" them had no idea how they could do that because the pieces were cast together. it took a while. Also that the shipping crates they came in said SAN DIEGO COMIC COM right on them. now I did know they were the same exhibit. I did not no however until after the fact that they were NOT advertised as being screen used for the comic con.

This may all seem small and petty to people, which i understand. the point is someone KNEW this and made the decision to advertise it as real when it was not.

If i had been there on a trip with another driving purpose I would have blown this off. But for the 1st time ever I truly feel ripped off and betrayed. I only go here for a reason. I pay a premium price for a premium product so i hold DL to a higher standard. I trust them. I know stuff happens, rides break down, Cms can be rude all that jazz but this was different. I was literally crushed.

I went to City Hall. I did not want or expect my money back I just wanted to get heard. THe cm i spoke with offered me free days in the park. I told her not only did I not really want that but I couldnt take it anyway I had to get back to work. NOt too mention I could not afford any more hotel time. She also said she was not surprised.

That is the other problem here. this speaks to me about the future of the park and how it is run. If you false advertise something as trivial as this, on a property you own, whats next and where does it end.

I guess what i really WANT from disney is an explanation as to why it was done, and to have someone who matters there listen and know they have lost a lifelong customer.
    So... you won't ever visit again because the Iron Man suits were replicas?

I saw the Iron Man exhibit last month and I could tell they weren't authentic and I don't remember seeing anything claiming they were all original movie props. They had the authentic props in the cases that were bits and pieces. They weren't full suits.
    Also bear in mind that a lot of the movement in the Iron Man movies are assisted with CGI. Just saying.

I'm sorry that your trip didn't go as expected or planned.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

<sigh> I guess you'd have to read the posts over the last 7 to 8 pages from the course of the night. Because gtsouthard stated that he read about the exhibit on Disney's page through their press release (or something along those lines) and was misled. He was led to believe that they were authentic props from the movie franchise, not replicas. So he & his wife spent a lot of money to make a trip to see something that TO HIM was supposed to be a treat worth while, only to find out that what he read and what was displayed were two different things. He felt that Disney didn't advertise their product correctly. Had he been a local resident of say Anaheim or a nearby city, it probably would not have been that big of a blow. But he came a long way to be utterly disappointed because of the wrong information posted by Disney, or at least in part, a person at Disney. He's a big fan of the product and has been for a long time. It's only natural for him to feel as he does. And he's a big enough fan to consider investing the next step of his future with his fiance by having their wedding there, which is quite the investment. Only now he's reconsidered that decision because of all of this. (Honestly though, consider all of the money you'd probably be saving.)

I hope that sums it up, and gets it as close as I could get it to the point.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

No amount of haggling over semantics here is going to result in a definitive answer. The vagueness of the release is likely due to the fact that it was crafted before the exact pieces of the exhibit were selected, not in order to swindle or deceive. I'm not so dimwitted to believe no one would dream of perpetrating such a deception, it just doesn't seem TO ME to be the case here...for all the reasons others have stated (i.e. entirely likely these were in the film...blah blah blah).

ANYWAY...

To your original query: Instead of spending time "preachin' to the choir"...making your case, stating and re-stating your disappointment to a bunch of people on a message board, make the call or write the letter to the source than can provide real information: Disney. They are the only ones who can tell you whether the suits were in the movie or not. The phone numbers and addresses have been provided.

Call 'em up, write the letter and simply ask them for information about where the pieces appeared in the film. You might get better results if you allow yourself to take a step back and just consider the possibility (however remote you think it is) that they might have a reasonable case to make (if they don't, you can always go back to your fuming rage).

But if you reach out to them as die-hard Iron Man aficionado who'd like specific info about the exhibit, rather than calling to let 'em know what a bunch of liars and cheats you think they all are and how they've ruined your wedding and your future plans, you might find you'll have more leverage. Just my two cents.

I think the source of the problem is the OP's overestimation of Disney to begin with. This kind of puffery and ambiguous wording is incredibly common everywhere. But, I think the OP thought Disney was way above that. They're not. They are just another corporation. And this isn't meant to minimize OP's negative feelings or judge them to be invalid, just saying he had an unrealistic opinion of Disney to begin with, and that is the stem of the problem.

It does sound like he was hoping someone would apologize and promise to change the wording on the website. That's certainly not going to happen from a conversation at City Hall. The fact that they offered him free days, even though he couldn't use them and that wasn't what he was looking for, is a positive sign to me. It shows that they do still try to provide some customer service and keep the guest happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    I think the source of the problem is the OP's overestimation of Disney to begin with. This kind of puffery and ambiguous wording is incredibly common everywhere. But, I think the OP thought Disney was way above that. They're not. They are just another corporation. And this isn't meant to minimize OP's negative feelings or judge them to be invalid, just saying he had an unrealistic opinion of Disney to begin with, and that is the stem of the problem.

It does sound like he was hoping someone would apologize and promise to change the wording on the website. That's certainly not going to happen from a conversation at City Hall. The fact that they offered him free days, even though he couldn't use them and that wasn't what he was looking for, is a positive sign to me. It shows that they do still try to provide some customer service and keep the guest happy.
    Bingo!

The OP wanted to see "authentic props" from a CGI-based movie. Disney delivered what they promised - authentic props from the movie. Unfortunately, they just didn't match his unrealistic expectations. (Much of the movie, like most big budget films these days, is basically a computer-generated cartoon.)

And no, this "incident" isn't the same thing as seeing a Disney character walk around without his head on, as the OP suggested.

The fact that Disney offered him very nice freebies - freebies that most people would have been quite grateful to receive - shows that Disney is still superb when it comes to customer service.

After reading the press release it seams quite clear to me that the hall of armor is a replica of the one in the movie and even if it was the real thing the press release does not say thatched were the ones used by the actor In other words it could easily be real props from the movie. I also doubt that any of the suits seen on screen displayed as backdrops were used by the actor. The costuming department has separate pieces made for tat purpose.

also many of the scenes in the movie had the actor wearing digitally made suits.

I am sorry I understand you dissatisfaction but I just can't seem to understand why it would make a difference to see a replica of the suit or the original one used by the actor which is probably one of many.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.

I really do see what you're saying... me and my wife are going to be in the park tomorrow as the start of our honeymoon, and I was actually under the impression that the suits were ones actually used in filming. I figured that maybe the "hall" set pieces that the armor was set in were straight from SDCC, but I thought the suits were the real, metal props from all the promotional material I'd read.

There is no case against Disney formally, because their statement is carefully worded... but frustratingly so. I wouldn't typically expect this kind of behavior, but the actions of one marketing management team certainly won't poison the whole park for me, though I do see your frustration.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast