View Poll Results: Will every significant attraction be associated with a film and if so when?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, there will always be original rides.

16 30.77%
  • No, there will always be originals left, but they will be rare.

26 50.00%
  • Yes, by the end of this decade.

3 5.77%
  • Yes, by 2030.

1 1.92%
  • Yes, by 2050.

1 1.92%
  • Yes, but I'm not sure when.

5 9.62%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Re: Will Every Attraction Eventually Be Connected with a Film?

California Screamin': The Movie? Soarin' over California: The Movie? Goofy's Sky School: The Movie?

I think there will always be original rides, though I don't know that they can come up with another BTMRR or Materrhorn. Here's to hoping!

Personally, the movie tie-ins don't make or break a ride for me. If I enjoy the ride and think it's done well, and I think there are movie-based rides that are still original to Disney in that I won't find a similar ride at another park (not just in theme, but in presentation).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Do I think all attractions will be movie-based/IP-based? Yes.

Do I like it? No, not at all. What I want from Disney is things that I can't get outside of the park. This is why I don't ride Nemo. It's just a retelling of a movie that I've already seen. Boring. Though I can't say why the Snow White ride isn't boring, since technically it also is a retelling of a story we know.

CarsLand gives us details and the ability to walk around in the movie made real- if we are absolutely going to be *stuck* with movie-based spaces, this is it done right.

If I can leave something and say to myself "it's just like in the movie," then Disney has failed in my opinion.
    I agree, definitely not my preference, but I've pretty much resigned myself not to expect anything else at the US parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    In the end, as long as it's done well, I don't think it will matter. The Monsters Inc to me is not a great ride, even though I actually really liked the movie. I didn't like any of the sequels to Pirates but I still love the ride and adding Johnny Depp and the mist scree with Davy Jones or Blackbeard doesn't bother me. So whether it's a movie based on a current ride, or a ride based on a movie, a good ride is still a good ride. The only difference is a ride based off of a movie needs less of a setup.
    I mostly agree with this, but I also think it's important to make sure that enough attractions support the theme of the land it's in. Also, movie attractions don't inherently need less setup. Many of the best original rides are based on broad themes that most people have some general familiarity with, like jungles, ghosts and pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    In DL maybe , but at DCA and 3rd gate they will definitely be movie rides and by 2030 all original DL rides will eventually become movies like BTTMR the movie and Splash Mountain the movie and Space Mountain the movie and Jungle Cruise the Movie will probaly become movies by 2030
    Even though I asked the question, I actually voted for, "There will always be some originals left." I did because I think there are a number of attractions that will remain because they are so historic or it just doesn't make sense to add a theme to. Things like the ships of RoA, the Tiki Room, the Monorail, MS Vehicles, BVS Trolley will likely remain unchanged. Then there are the original attractions like GRR and Soarin', which probably won't be themed to movies because they're fairly popular, but not enough so to ever be turned into a movie. Screamin' could go either way, I know they've talked about it, but my guess is they won't add any character overlay to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I love this topic - Really hits the nail on the head with our worry with Disney's current OBSESSION with tieing their films to rides in the various theme park resorts.

I can only hope that this is special to one specific era that we are living through.

And at some point ... New managements come in ... listen to the fan community enough ... to realize there has to be a balance.

And that many fans don't go to the Disney parks to "relive movie moments" ... but come for the originality that it was built on.

My Vote: No, there will always be original rides.
    I hope you're right, you certainly could be. Most of this is coming right down from Bob Iger, and while it does make business sense in many ways, I also I see the potential for problems. If some of these risks start to become problems future management may decide to change. There's certainly a risk of producing parks that become dated quickly and need constant updating. There's also the risk of losing the immersion into the lands' themes when you add too many attractions that have little to do with their lands' themes.

I also worry about single franchise based lands. They provide the immersion, but lack the ability to easily grow, change with time and introduce different stories. I'm not completely opposed to them, but they have to be really selective about which properties are worthy of that kind of investment. Harry Potter and Cars worked really well as theme park land but most properties are like those for a wide variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I'm sure at some point the attractions will either be based off movies or will have movies based off them.

We already have these with either applying:

Haunted Mansion
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island
    Tarzan's Treehouse
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Alice in Wonderland
    Star Tours
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters
    Splash Mountain
    Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Mad Tea Party
    Finding Nemo Submarines
    Toy Story Mania
    Cars Land
    Bug's Land
    Ariel's Undersea Adventure
    Mike & Sully to the Rescue
    MuppetVision 3D
    Turtle Talk with Crush

There isn't a whole lot left as it is.
    Thanks for the list. The original attractions that are left at DL, for the most part, are ones that are very well known and have potential to become films. This really could leave very little left, but as I said before, I think a small amount of originals will be around awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    No simple answer IMO. The really can't be a movie tie in to every attraction IMO

Just looking at the list abve there is a lot of attractions missing on that list.
    I agree, as I said, it's probably unlikely that every single attraction will be tied to a movie. But I could see it coming to the point where almost every significant attraction is somehow tied to a movie. But there are certainly a few where it just wouldn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I hope they stop at Innoventions.

Nothing wrong with an attraction based on a film - several of the attractions on the opening day were based on Disney film properties. What matters is that the attraction provide an experience above and beyond what you would get by simply watching the film. It can't be just a ride-through synopsis of the film. It must have some element of originality, creativity, imagination, adventure, humor, immersiveness or just plain fun.
    Well said. I don't think anyone would suggest that there shouldn't be any film based attractions or that they can't be great. But as I've said above, there can be a number of long term risks associated with this strategy. From loss of immersion, to loss of interest. That's why it's so key to include those elements of imagination and fun because they make the experience repeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    A high budgeted motion picture come on think big , you know disney will!
    I doubt they would do this. Too many questions would come up about why Song of the South has been hidden from the public.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    California Screamin': The Movie? Soarin' over California: The Movie? Goofy's Sky School: The Movie?
    Disney has demonstrated consistently that not having a tie-in "now" doesn't mean there won't be a tie-in later. Examples include Pirates, Pooh's placement in CBJ, Princess takeover of Carnation, Tarzan's heavy handed takeover of Swiss, plans to put Lone Ranger in Thunder, Nemo's takeover of Subs... all of the new Paradise Pier, Monster's takeover of Limo... I can keep going if you wish... Small World is a great example of "no tie-ins when it was built".

The reason Disney has tied everything together is that the attractions now serve a dual purpose of both entertainment and advertising. Simply put it encourages franchise awareness and as a byproduct sales. At some point I suspect the Disneyland experience will be a kid friendly version of Universal Studios.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

And this is one of the reasons I let my AP lapse.... with no plans to renew.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Don't tell me everyone wouldn't want to see the movie about what those birds in the Tiki Room get up to after hours...

Or the episode from It's A Small World where the dolls became possessed...

What about a film about being a cast member after hours? Would that be a film based on a park based on films?

But I'm pretty sure Abe Lincoln had nothing to do with the movie coming first.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Minion

Did I see Johnny Depp and Tim Burton working on Superstar Limo: The Curse of Joan Rivers?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    At some point I suspect the Disneyland experience will be a kid friendly version of Universal Studios.
    That's exactly what they're trying to turn it into. That is Disney's goal.

• Circle of Ancients

This topic comes up about once every 6 months and I like to point out that since 1955, there have been attractions tied to movies. Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Casey Jr Train, Mickey Mouse Club, 20,000 leagues under the sea, Davy Crockett Museum were all there in 1955. And many more movie based attractions came on board in the time Walt was around.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    This topic comes up about once every 6 months and I like to point out that since 1955, there have been attractions tied to movies. Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Casey Jr Train, Mickey Mouse Club, 20,000 leagues under the sea, Davy Crockett Museum were all there in 1955. And many more movie based attractions came on board in the time Walt was around.
    I've never heard anyone say that Disney shouldn't build movie based attractions. We all know they've always been around and were a part of why DL was built. But notice which attractions Walt chose to base on films, mostly kids rides, usually limited to Fantasyland. Plus the fact is there was always a mix of both and we're rapidly moving towards having very few original attractions.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

When Disney was a family company, rides weren't based on movies. They were based on ideas that Walt thought of straight from his imagination. Now that it is a company/corporation, the ideas are based on the current price of stock.

Depressing.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm hoping to see a future attraction called Soaring Over A Soaring Over Movie
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-20-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

You know, Disneyland will always keep changing. Yes, there are a lot of attractions that are part of film.

Disney is the biggest name out there and it gets its money from movies and of course, Disneyland.

There are still some (old) attractions from Disneyland that are not in film currently even though some are significant:

Space Mountain
    The Jungle Cruise
    The Tiki Room
    Adventure Thru Inner Space
    Mission to Mars
    Carousel of Progress
    Flight to the Moon
    America Sings
    PeopleMover *
    Matterhorn
    Skyway *
    Columbia
    Mark Twain
    Disneyland Railroad *
    Dinosaur Diorama
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Motor Boats *
    Autopia

* most likely not going to have their own movie

There will still be attractions not relating to film. If I'm wrong, then it would take forever to make it happen.
    Last edited by Tilly; 06-20-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• Nutty about Disney parks

^ The Matterhorn is actually based on an unknown 1959 Disney film: Third Man on the Mountain. Since the film has pretty much evaporated into obscurity 99% of the people who go to Disneyland would never be aware of this. However there are rumors of a new Matterhorn movie.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Cunning infiltrator

The Western River Expedition must be revived!!!

Marc Davis' masterpiece should have been created for MK instead of the shorter inferior POTC.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Minion

What was the last original attraction to be build at Disneyland or DCA?

The most recent things I can think of are the opening day attractions at DCA. What was the last original stand alone attraction to be opened? Thunder Mountain?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast