Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: The State of DL

Re: The State of DL

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    5. You decided the park rule was stupid and decided to ignore it? You can't do that. The rules are there for a reason, and perhaps the CMs understood something about crowd control there better than you did. If they were trying to get everyone to go a certain way there was a reason for that, even if it wasn't immediately apparent to you. Guests who decide they don't have to follow the rules are the ones who make the CMs' jobs so much harder. The CM shouldn't have said "forget you" but did you really have to ignore her instructions?
    Yep this is the truth right here. I do guest control for the fireworks a lot. It can take a toll on you when people blatantly ignore you and walk right past you. We are trying to be considerate to guests by keeping the traffic one way so you don't have to go upstream. I agree saying "forget you" is wrong, but if multiple people just walk past you and straight into a crowd going in the opposite direction blocking the walkway, you get a little frustrated. Remember to understand that we are people too

I would write letters to the following executives, detailing your experiences and frustrations. This is a management problem and hopefully will be taken Seriously especially coming from a DVC customer.

Robert A. Iger
    Chairman and CEO,
    The Walt Disney Company
    500 South Buena Vista Street
    Burbank, CA 91521
    (818) 560-1000 - Main
    (818) 560-1930 -

The president of Disneyland Resort is Michael Colglazier. Colglazier reports to Meg Crofton, president of Worldwide Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Current management

President, Disneyland Resort – Michael Colglazier

Vice President, Disneyland Park – Jon Storbeck
    Vice President, Disney California Adventure – Mary Niven

Vice President, Downtown Disney and Disneyland Resort Hotels – Daniel Delcourt

The Disneyland Resort
    Post Office Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92803
    Last edited by CAspace; 06-29-2013 at 02:17 PM.

• I do believe in fairies!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Isn’t that the job that the Disney workers signed up for? The main job is servicing the public and all the baggage that goes along with it. The items listed are not an excuse for poor job performance. Rather, part of the job is to overcome such obstacles and turn the negatives into positives to enhance the experience of the Disney customer base.

Rate of pay is never an excuse for poor job performance. If one agrees to a rate of pay when they sign up for the job and they are getting paid that amount, the company has lived up to their end of the deal, and the employee needs to live up to theirs and perform their job to the best of their ability. If the rate of pay is felt to be inadequate for the job, don’t accept the position. One can’t agree to a rate of pay and then deliver a halfass performance.

It is the job of someone in the service industry to diffuse that and make the customer happy. Again, that is the position for which the employee signed up.

That is less than full time employment. I work 40-50 hours a week at work, and then if I have stuff left over, I still log in from home and finish it after my kids have gone to bed. 30 hours is nothing.
    I just found this thread and started reading it. And this post nailed it on the head about CM's and I thought it should be repeated. I'll keep reading ahead... BTW I've run into both kinds of CM's pleasant and not so pleasant. I'm sorry if you are having an "off" day but as every employer I've ever worked with has told me, leave your problems at the gate.
    "While there is very little grown-up in a child, there's still a lot of child in every grown up." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    The customer is not always right, and nobody should have to deal with verbal abuse as part of their job.
    I agree. But how often does this really happen? Out of 40000 guests at the park that day, 20000 of them scream abusively at cast members for no reason? No. If a customer really crosses the line and becomes abusive, one should call security and move on. Instead of treating the other 399990 guests poorly like a petulant child.

What probably happens more often is not abuse, but just a customer not being very nice or polite. Even though I'd wager the majority are quite polite, there will be plenty of uppity self-entitled jerks. Oh well, life's a *****, deal with it or find a job that doesn't entail customer service.

I think there are a certain group of people who were raised to feel like special princesses and princes - some of those are customers, but some are CM's. And then they encounter each other and the fun begins...
    Last edited by Steveman; 06-30-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brandond6 View Post
    Yep this is the truth right here. I do guest control for the fireworks a lot. It can take a toll on you when people blatantly ignore you and walk right past you. We are trying to be considerate to guests by keeping the traffic one way so you don't have to go upstream. I agree saying "forget you" is wrong, but if multiple people just walk past you and straight into a crowd going in the opposite direction blocking the walkway, you get a little frustrated. Remember to understand that we are people too
    I get that you're people, but you also signed up for a job. I'm sure you do a great job and do your duties well, and that's because you understand what the job description entailed. Guess what? I see a lot of frustrating things in my job too. But I'm there to work and make a living, not have the greatest day ever and expect everything to go perfectly right.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'm sorry Tyler, but in half of these examples the CMs did nothing wrong.

2. The CMs HAVE to look for the hand stamps. That's the rule. If it's a day when the park is crowded they have to look for the stamps. What would have happened if that CM had said "ok, never mind, go on," and her/his lead had been right there? They would have been in serious trouble. If you don't like the rule, petition City Hall to change it - but you can't blame the CM for following the protocol s/he's been taught to follow.

3. It sounds as though they were short a cashier at the Village Haus, since I've never seen a cashier have to handle two sides of a line. Also, it's customary to ring up one party all together, even if they are paying separately. Also, if the breaker asked if you were having a long day, it might have been that she saw that you were agitated and she was trying to calm you down and defuse the situation.

5. You decided the park rule was stupid and decided to ignore it? You can't do that. The rules are there for a reason, and perhaps the CMs understood something about crowd control there better than you did. If they were trying to get everyone to go a certain way there was a reason for that, even if it wasn't immediately apparent to you. Guests who decide they don't have to follow the rules are the ones who make the CMs' jobs so much harder. The CM shouldn't have said "forget you" but did you really have to ignore her instructions?

Not giving greetings, etc. is a problem - but given the above I don't think the CMs did anything wrong.
    2. Tone of the ticket taker accusing me was the issue

3. Sorry, no excuse. And she was not asking me to be polite, she pinned her mistake on me and was condescending about it.

5. Yes I can. I hate to sound like an arrogant jackass but I don't need to listen to someone who's telling me what way I can or can't go. I listen to ride operators because they protect me, but it's ridiculous for me to have to go out of my way for no reason other than a crowd controller's false sense of authority.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I listen to ride operators because they protect me, but it's ridiculous for me to have to go out of my way for no reason other than a crowd controller's false sense of authority.
    Do you honestly think the only reason that they are telilng you to go a certain way is because they have a false sense of authority? Or do you think maybe it's because they're following a protocol which directs them to tell you to go that way? I'm not excusing what she said, but I think she was in fact doing her job by telling you to go that direction.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Do you honestly think the only reason that they are telilng you to go a certain way is because they have a false sense of authority? Or do you think maybe it's because they're following a protocol which directs them to tell you to go that way? I'm not excusing what she said, but I think she was in fact doing her job by telling you to go that direction.
    You're absolutely right, it's been a long night and I'm not sure where that comment came from.

Yes, I should have followed the rules even though they did not make any sense.

Still, the point remains that when you have billions of people in a tiny place, not everyone is going to do what you ask and it sucks but it's life. I hate that I was one of those people that night but it happens. The point is, you move on and be polite about it; guests not following a rule does not give anyone the right to be rude. Especially in a customer satsifaction-oriented job like that of a DL CM.

• Selfie Expert

I couldn't be happier with your reply.

And yes, I agree, not everyone is going to follow the directions, and while that's frustrating it's no excuse for them to be rude unless it's something that's really putting someone at risk (i.e. standing up in a ride) in which case security should be called.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    You're absolutely right, it's been a long night and I'm not sure where that comment came from.

Yes, I should have followed the rules even though they did not make any sense.

Still, the point remains that when you have billions of people in a tiny place, not everyone is going to do what you ask and it sucks but it's life. I hate that I was one of those people that night but it happens. The point is, you move on and be polite about it; guests not following a rule does not give anyone the right to be rude. Especially in a customer satsifaction-oriented job like that of a DL CM.
    Well, the point also remains that when you have tens of thousands of CMs in a tiny place, not everyone is going to be perfect 100% of the time. It sucks but that's life. The point is, you move on and be polite about it; CMs not following their guidelines exactly does not give anyone the right to be rude.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Well, the point also remains that when you have tens of thousands of CMs in a tiny place, not everyone is going to be perfect 100% of the time. It sucks but that's life. The point is, you move on and be polite about it; CMs not following their guidelines exactly does not give anyone the right to be rude.
    Ok, I hate to say this, but employees do not have the same sense of entitlement as their paying customers, they just don't. My feelings are not as important as my clients', and a CM's feelings are not as important as a guests, simply because that's the nature of working a customer service job.

In a perfect world everyone would be polite and dandy to everyone, but that's not the case. Unfortunately, those providing the service are going to be the ones who have to swallow it up. Outside of DL, yes, I agree, a CM should be allowed to be rude to those who are rude to them--but at work, that is inappropriate and unacceptable.

And except for the case with the crowd control, I was nothing but polite and cooperative, yet was still greeted with unsatisfactory service. And my examples did not include the hundreds of CMs I encountered who just had attitude, or were unbearably slow, or completely void of manners at all. I'm sorry, but even if CMs weren't working, it's just weird to be that rude to someone, and I'd hate to see what they're like outside of work when they're "on show".

• Senior Minion

The following was posted last year by an experienced DLR Attraction CM and Attraction Trainer, and bears repeating:

I don't know how many times we have to go through this topic, but people still seem to think that CM's are actually trained on how to be "nice" to people, or given basic expectations of politeness, or taught tactics and nuances of providing good customer service. No such training exists in any meaningful way.

The training materials and techniques belched out by the bloated and pathetic "Disney University" training department in 2012 are worthless, and do absolutely nothing to set forth any sort of customer service standard CM's should live up to, let alone actually teach 18 year old Joe from Monrovia, CA how to handle any specific customer service situation.

The first day of Traditions, and the second day of Welcome To Park Operations touches briefly on customer service. But it does so in such a bland, corporate-speak, TDA-cubicle created way that it is practically meaningless. And God forbid you actually lay out the concept of actual standards that someone would live up to! That is too advanced for TDA's Disney University group, and they are busy sitting in TDA far removed from the actual operation of the park to even consider such a silly thing.

I find it humorous that people are confronted by poor customer service and then expect that there is still some sort of training program that would have prevented it had the CM in question only been paying attention. There is no such training. The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

But nothing the Disney University has done in the last 10 years will have had any impact on the good customer service you receive in the parks. The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT.

Mary Niven has tried to correct this with DCA CM's in particular with her new Our California Story class and the Cast Showcase presentations that just started this week. But she is fighting an uphill battle with a Disney University department that is stodgy, unorganized, clueless, and run by boring cubicle drones who stare at their computer screens for 7 hours per day trying to figure out how to duck out early by four o'clock.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The following was posted last year by an experienced DLR Attraction CM and Attraction Trainer, and bears repeating:
    Thank you for digging this one up Wiggins!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I do recall that post very clearly. But it should be added that it's not just an issue of training. It may be a big part of the cause, but really, do you need to be trained to know you should be polite and smile when you're a CM with frontline customer service duties? The fact that they just aren't treated very well by their employer is a big part too. Theoretically that shouldn't matter, if you take the job you do your best or you leave, but we all know it doesn't always work that way.
    But I think the biggest part is accountability. The leads and managers should be all over this to make sure only the best service is provided.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
    I do recall that post very clearly. But it should be added that it's not just an issue of training. It may be a big part of the cause, but really, do you need to be trained to know you should be polite and smile when you're a CM with frontline customer service duties? The fact that they just aren't treated very well by their employer is a big part too. Theoretically that shouldn't matter, if you take the job you do your best or you leave, but we all know it doesn't always work that way.
    But I think the biggest part is accountability. The leads and managers should be all over this to make sure only the best service is provided.
    Customer service really can be an art and a learned skill, especially at a place like Disneyland. Smiling and being polite can be a given, but being able to react quickly, handle different guests issues, defuse agitated guests and learn the protocol on how to handle things can be really tricky. The interactions you have in day to day life with the people you meet aren't always going to be the same as the interactions that a CM or other customer service worker has with the thousands of guests they handle.

And back to the issue of the employers...if a CM is overworked and is doing a job that should really be handled by two or three people, they might be unable to offer the same level of customer service just by default.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast