Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of DL

• No Disassemble!

Re: The State of DL

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    1. The Staff--this one surprises me...usually I see nothing but happy CMs at any Disney park, but this time around boy is it different. Never have I seen such a collection of incompetent, unhappy, and downright rude employees. If they know what they're doing, they are extremely rude about it. If they are actually somewhat pleasant they are completely clueless and hold up your day. For instance, our waitress at the Carthay Circle was a very pleasant woman, but our service was dreadfully slow (at 5 PM) and we had to tell her about our World of Color reservation before we were given that menu/our tickets. Then when you see people who are capable (crowd control, attractions, etc) they don't know the words please, thank you, etc they just boss around orders. The absolute worst are the ticket takers who are both unpleasant AND inefficient--hardly any greetings from anyone, but a lot of slow people not sure of what they're doing (this problem is only exacerbated by the fact that they now have the insane policy of checking photos BEFORE scanning the ticket--seriously get the fingerprint system!!!) I am not looking forward to interacting with anymore CMs on this trip
    This has been happening for awhile now. CM's are getting younger because the park doesn't want to update their pay rate to be competitive in the 4yr college bracket. Also they've cut their orientation & training programs down to a shadow of what it used to be.

My advice to you if you ever do require the assistance of a CM is to find a much older CM that has a service pin (gold pin on the name tag) with the number 10 or higher, 5 is also ok in some cases. These CM's were trained under the old, more thorough, method and practice it day-in and day-out.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Former Churro Jockey

I used to know all of the different characters for the year pins. I know it's Mickey for 1 year, because I have one of those. I think it's Donald for 5 years, but then after that I don't remember who it is for 10 and who it is for 20. Anyone with more than 5 years though likely wouldn't be working in the park anymore but would be working backstage in a supporting role, so finding one might be a little bit of a challenge. Nowdays, if I have a question and the CM doesn't know the answer, I usually ask to see their Cast Member Reference Guide, which lists all of the times for every possible event (even bands in New Orleans Square), times that things open and close (restaurants closing early like Cafe Orleans, or stores on Main Street staying open an hour later then the park), and scheduled refurbishments. They even tell you what time the flag ceremony is in Main Street. Of course, I don't own a smartphone yet so there's probably an app now that has all of that.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Former Churro Jockey

Actually I just remembered that Pluto is 5 years and Donald is 10. And I guess technically, Steamboat Willie is 1, not Mickey Mouse. Still can't remember who is on the 20 year pin.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

While I may agree on your first point, I'm not too sure about your second. Nothing has really caught my attention on that particular issue so I'll let it be.. however, as for your third point:

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    3. Maintenance--maintenance is a joke here. Never have I been in a park with SO many rides breaking down a day. It's ridiculous, and nowhere else would you find such poor maintenance of rides...not Universal, not Six Flags, not even WDW as so many people like to hate on. Never in WDW have three major rides been down at once. And this is not just this trip--it's a common theme for every DL visit for our favorite rides to be broken several times throughout the day, especially when we want to ride them. I feel bad for one-time visitors who can't experience the big name attractions because they're constantly broken. And I also feel bad for locals who come to parks full of broken rides.
    While maintenance may be an issue here and there, I think it is unfair to single out maintenance for every attraction that goes down.

In some instances, it may have been a guest's fault for causing a breakdown. Slowly entering or exiting a vehicle may have caused the ride to back up and force an automatic stop... or a guest may have walked behind a safety line forcing a cast member to stop the attraction for their safety. In other cases, it may have been a ride operator error... Yes, that last example is still Disney's fault, but blaming all the breakdowns solely on maintenance is a little harsh I think.

In 2012, DLR (DLP + DCA) had 23.7 million guests while Universal Florida (Islands of Adv. + Studios) had 14.2 million. (https://www.teaconnect.org/sites/def...1-3_online.pdf). So with so many more guests in their parks, I think it's safe to assume that there may have been more guest related downtimes than at another park.

Without concrete numbers on the number of downtimes, it is difficult to really compare the uptime for each park. You may have just been unfortunately unlucky at DLR while being very lucky avoiding the downtimes at WDW or Universal.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was maintenance's fault? Perhaps that's what the ride operators at the entrance told you but in a lot of cases, they may not know the full story of why they went down. Perhaps you saw maintenance guys at the attraction and made an assumption. I think it's fairly common for maintenance to be there when ride operators attempt to restart the ride as a precaution even if it wasn't a maintenance related issue.

It is unfortunate though that in a lot of cases when a ride does go down, it takes a while to start them back up, frustrating guests who want to ride but have to wait. There are specific procedures to get the attraction up and running again safely and it may take some time unfortunately.

In any case, it could have been maintenance's fault, a guest's fault, a ride operator's fault, or something else, but saying it has all to do with maintenance sounds a little unfair.

I have to agree with you that the uppers are responsible period. I just hope some of them might take the time to look here (and possibly other websites/forums) to read about Disneylandian's guest and ride standards being addressed. Perhaps, this will help them monitor these challenges properly and in a timely manner for the most beloved of all these parks on the globe.

You would think that they would be "super" on top of everything in DLR, just knowing that this is Walt's original park. I wonder what the man himself would think or imagine in solutions regarding these important details? Seriously, what we are writing about on here is what sets this park apart from all the rest for decades now. (??)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    This has been happening for awhile now. CM's are getting younger because the park doesn't want to update their pay rate to be competitive in the 4yr college bracket. Also they've cut their orientation & training programs down to a shadow of what it used to be.

My advice to you if you ever do require the assistance of a CM is to find a much older CM that has a service pin (gold pin on the name tag) with the number 10 or higher, 5 is also ok in some cases. These CM's were trained under the old, more thorough, method and practice it day-in and day-out.
    Thanks, that's good advice!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    Where have you guys noticed the peeling paint? In general I don't notice any extremities and concerns. Keep in mind though you're visiting during the start of peak season: the rides will start breaking down more often.
    I would maybe buy that if I didn't live in Orlando. I've been to WDW and Universal several times when it's wayyyyy busier than DL is now yet the amount of technical difficulties I've run into here is unprecedented. It's become something of a joke amongst my family at this point.

• Minion

Older things need more maintenance. Disney management has cut back on regular maintenance. Old age is getting Disneyland.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Well we do have a new DL president...
    Who ran DAK with a falling apart Tree of Life and a broken down Yeti.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I find the quality of today's cast members to be more a reflection of today's 20-somethings in general rather than a reflection of Disney's selection choices.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Exactly.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

From todays miceage article, it looks like they have fixed much of RSR's not working tech. and will have the rest fixed or replaced by next week.
    This is realy, realy good news to me. I was worried they were going to go the way of the Expedition Everest Yeti with RSR.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    "Hey, if it's good enough for DAK...."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

All but 3 rides will be removed, but the walkways (without safety netting) will be really pretty.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ccinsf View Post
    All but 3 rides will be removed, but the walkways (without safety netting) will be really pretty.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast