Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of DL

Re: The State of DL

Anyone working in customer service knows how rude people can be. Just the other night at Disneyland I saw a lady going off on a ticket taker. How is she suppose to keep a smile on her face after having some c u next tuesday screaming at her. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they are having a bad day because we have all been there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    Anyone working in customer service knows how rude people can be. Just the other night at Disneyland I saw a lady going off on a ticket taker. How is she suppose to keep a smile on her face after having some c u next tuesday screaming at her. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when they are having a bad day because we have all been there.
    Doesn't matter. My whole job is customer satisfaction. The guest is always right.

Now, of course guests can be unreasonable. But a lot of the times, inappropriate guests are created from inappropriate handling of certain situations. In the case that a guest is being rude just for the sake of being rude, it doesn't matter how wrong she is, she paid to be there and that's why the CM is getting paid. Do you tell your boss off when he's yelling at you? No, because you'd lose your job and paychecks. Guests are paying the CM salaries, they should be treated with respect. And if a guest is rude, suck it up and take the high ground, you don't have to deal with them after the altercation is over. The fact is (and it sucks to say this but it's true) the guest is paying, they have a lot more say in how their day goes than the person who is choosing to work there.

• Rock Star Minion

I'll agree if you note that it should depend on how much the guest paid to enter.

Oh, and certainly, working in customer service is not for everyone.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Rude guests don't justify rude CMs, and vice versa.

If someone is screaming at you, being absolutely nasty, et al, YES, it can be hard to deal with it. When I was in customer service many moons ago, I remember a customer made me cry once. CMs deal with a lot of nonsense every day.

It still doesn't give them license to be rude to guests or incompetent at their jobs. If a CM is upset after a bad guest interaction perhaps they can do what we used to do at my job, which was to take a moment to turn away and collect ourselves before returning to the floor. Taking it out on the next guest - who had nothing to do with the previous one - isn't a reasonable solution.

Otherwise it just creates a vicious cycle: guest A is rude to CM A who gets upset and is rude to Guest B who gets upset about CMs and is rude to CM C, and so on...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Alright.

So, yes. I understand CMs have it tough. I, too, don't think they should reflect their bad attitudes towards the good guests. Unfortunately, we will have those who do.

That paints a bad picture for the wonderful CMs who go out of their way and make a guest's day. I saw one actually go up to a fmaily and offer to take their picture while the other attended to some other business. Going out of the way to make something happen is a true blessing, but it really is a Disney standard.

We hold Disney to a high standard. From what it seems, doesn't look like they're meeting our expectations.

My suggestion is TDA reviews the current state of the park and correct it. Maybe CMs need re-training on how to handle certain situations. I'm not sure. I will continue to go to the parks. Of course, I believe the ones who are having trouble handling the stress should find ways to cope with it and release it in some way that doesn't ruin it for the rest of us and their coworkers.
    Last edited by soothseyer; 06-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    As of 6/15, Merida is now my favorite Princess...Sorry, Cinderella. Thanks for the memories.

Disneyland AP Holder since 2012
    Check me out on Instagram: instagram.com/elimprocess#

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Doesn't matter. My whole job is customer satisfaction. The guest is always right.

Now, of course guests can be unreasonable. But a lot of the times, inappropriate guests are created from inappropriate handling of certain situations. In the case that a guest is being rude just for the sake of being rude, it doesn't matter how wrong she is, she paid to be there and that's why the CM is getting paid. Do you tell your boss off when he's yelling at you? No, because you'd lose your job and paychecks. Guests are paying the CM salaries, they should be treated with respect. And if a guest is rude, suck it up and take the high ground, you don't have to deal with them after the altercation is over. The fact is (and it sucks to say this but it's true) the guest is paying, they have a lot more say in how their day goes than the person who is choosing to work there.

The customer is not always right, and a good company will understand this and back their employee over a bad customer.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    The customer is not always right, and a good company will understand this and back their employee over a bad customer.
    Thank you. This is exactly how I feel.

•   
    • Minion

Absolutely true - but a good company will also expect its employees to maintain a firm and polite stance even when dealing with bad customers, and to maintain a high level of customer service otherwise.

Disney doesn't do this, by the way - it's been said before that they typically don't back up their CMs and throw them under the bus.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• -

Unless they are doing something illegal or endangering themselves or others, yes they are. That is how the customer service industry works: you treat the customer as if they are right, even if they are wrong. If a situation arises where it is impossible to let them be right then it is the job of the service worker to correct the misconception without belittling the customer so that the customer still feels they have their dignity.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Unless they are doing something illegal or endangering themselves or others, yes they are. That is how the customer service industry works: you treat the customer as if they are right, even if they are wrong. If a situation arises where it is impossible to let them be right then it is the job of the service worker to correct the misconception without belittling the customer so that the customer still feels they have their dignity.
    I feel like more companies are learning the customer is not always right. That is why banks and phone companies are dropping customers who they are finding to be too much of a hassle. Even though they are paying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

Otherwise it just creates a vicious cycle: guest A is rude to CM A who gets upset and is rude to Guest B who gets upset about CMs and is rude to CM C, and so on...
    Works the opposite way too, smile, thank yous, and a compliment to CMs can turn it the other way. Used to work as a cashier and customers insulting you and treating you like a less of a person could have an immediate antidote (someone else saying something nice that was out of the ordinary).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    I feel like more companies are learning the customer is not always right. That is why banks and phone companies are dropping customers who they are finding to be too much of a hassle. Even though they are paying customers.
    That's why you don't rave about your phone company, or take multiple trips to the bank a year. Those aren't industries aimed at customer service--theme parks, especially those that hold themselves to such a high standard as Disneyland, are.

• Minion

Just like calsig said, you have to treat them like they are, unless there's danger present. Do I actually think every guest getting into altercations at Disneyland are absolutely right 100% of the time? Of course not. But you HAVE to treat them like they are if you're working with customer satisfaction. It's seriously one of the first things you learn in any job like this. Or at least, you used to--it appears that Disneyland has skipped this lesson in their more recent orientation classes.

And this isn't just a case of "easier said than done". Every day I forget any problems I have to do my job. Even back in the good ole days when I was dealing with rude theme park guests, there was this thing I did called sucking it up and moving on, and I did it every day. With a job like being a CM, you have to ask yourself what's more important--letting one guest altercation get to you and ruin your day, or making sure that as many guests as possible have a great vacation no matter what. If your answer isn't the latter, you simply shouldn't be a CM.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 06-28-2013 at 06:48 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

If only all the DLr guests were on vacation....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

When you are selling people a good time, if you make their experience unhappy in any way, you are failing at your business. Sometimes that means throwing out guests who are making other people unhappy. But most of the time, it means putting up with them.

What it takes to make people happy has changed over time. Disneyland's market now includes guests with a much more boisterous, casual attitude toward public behavior. Or at least people who are willing to pay high prices and put up with general rudeness. This is not the market that Walt designed his park for.

I remember visiting the HM back in 1970. No one talked over the spiel nor was there a chorus of abusive screams in the stretching room. And it wasn't because people were not yet familiar with the attraction. They simply wouldn't have imagined spoiling the experience for anyone else.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast