Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of DL

• -

Re: The State of DL

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I'm talking about outright abuse, yelling, blaming the CM for things that couldn't possibly be their fault, etc. In those situations the customer is absolutely wrong and it would be better for the park in general if the customer was made to stop or ejected entirely.
    People don’t generally come to the parks pissed off. If a customer gets to the point that they are so mad that they are yelling at workers, it means that somewhere in the course of their Disney day, Disney has failed that particular customer. It may not be, and probably isn’t the worker that they are taking it out on, but somewhere along the way Disney has failed that customer. The worker being yelled at needs to realize this and do their best to find out where the company failed and then figure out what they can do to remedy the situation. That is a good customer service worker, and that is what Disney was known for. It would be great if they could do so again.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• a wind to shake the stars

I completely disagree with that. Vacations in general can be stressful (as backwards as that sounds). You're spending a ton of money, you're in close quarters with your family, you're so focused on making sure everything goes well, you have to deal with 50k other people all doing the same thing, it's hot and you have to walk everywhere, the lines are long, and so on. It's very easy to become upset or frustrated without Disney "failing" you. Which is fine, and totally normal, up until the point where you begin to take out your frustrations on a CM.

Again I don't think verbal abuse is acceptable under any circumstances, and quite frankly it's baffling to me that you think that someone would be able to yell at another person simply by virtue of buying a ticket to something.

• Minion

The International, what exactly is your ideal scenario for when a CM is being "verbally abused"? You think it is more appropriate for them to fight back? Frankly, that's baffling to me.

• -

Again I don't think verbal abuse is acceptable under any circumstances, and quite frankly it's baffling to me that you think that someone would be able to yell at another person simply by virtue of buying a ticket to something.
    I never said it's right. I said it is the job of the worker to diffuse the situation. Perhaps if more of these workers were either trained well enough to do that, or actually cared enough about their job the Disney reputation for great customer service would be back up to the level it once was.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The International, what exactly is your ideal scenario for when a CM is being "verbally abused"? You think it is more appropriate for them to fight back? Frankly, that's baffling to me.
    No, ideally a manager would intervene, attempt to calm the guest, and take appropriate action if the situation can't be diffused.

• Minion

No, ideally a manager would intervene, attempt to calm the guest, and take appropriate action if the situation can't be diffused.
    Calming the guest and taking appropriate action--is that not what we have been suggesting?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gparzlaw View Post
    Customers who believe and act like the "customer is always right" are typically the type of customers who ruin the park for everyone else - especially other customers.
    Chalk it up as an unintended consequence of said policy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    People donít generally come to the parks pissed off. If a customer gets to the point that they are so mad that they are yelling at workers, it means that somewhere in the course of their Disney day, Disney has failed that particular customer. It may not be, and probably isnít the worker that they are taking it out on, but somewhere along the way Disney has failed that customer. The worker being yelled at needs to realize this and do their best to find out where the company failed and then figure out what they can do to remedy the situation. That is a good customer service worker, and that is what Disney was known for. It would be great if they could do so again.
    I'd disagree with that. When I worked in customer service there were some patrons who had raging attitudes from the moment they walked in the door, meaning that we had nothing to do with their state of mind. Whether they were just disrespectful toward service workers, they had a bad day before they got to us, they didn't want to be there and their partners had dragged them along - whatever, it meant that they came at us with both barrels before we'd had a chance to say two words to them.

Look at the fussbudget I encountered on Sunday - she was on the security line to get into the park and she already had a chip on her shoulder. That was her natural attitude; not something Disney did.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

The majority of my bad experiences at Disneyland have been having to deal with narcissistic jerks who believe the price of admission entitles them to more rights and privileges in the park than any of us who have paid the same admission price. A jerk is raised a jerk and no amount of training can undo their sense of self-entitlement.

First of all, I would like to know where you are employed so I never ever go there
    I'm sorry to say but you seem like the type of customer that wouldnt be missed. I work in the customer service field as well. The guest it not always right and you dont have to let them believe they are right. It is all about how you explain yourself to them that matters. I don't talk down to them or say "you are wrong" but in a nice and professional way I let them know the facts of the situation.

And I am not for rude cast members at all. I guess I was just standing up for the cast members who seem to not be smiling or having a rough day. But I agree a cast member shouldnt ever yell back but they can stand their ground in a professional way.

• Singing Drinker

Re: customer service negative interactions.

I've worked in customer service positions in some form over a majority of my life. I'll omit the dry details, but the "line" regarding abusive customers changed from position to position, frequently situation to situation.

My personal view is that the theme/amusement park industry is supposed to be one of the most tolerant. MANY customer intervention and defusing techniques have been presented to me over the years as being "like they do at Disney".

If they're no longer honoring that standard (note, "if", implying less than total acceptance that this is a systemic as opposed to individual issue but not denying it), it's a sad shift. One of my better managers tried to explain it as "The customer's always right. Even if you think he's dead wrong, until you sign the paychecks you damned well treat him like he's right." It's not a negation of responsibility so much as it is a realization that there's a use and need for escalation and on-stage blowups detract from EVERYONE'S day.

That also being said, the hands down worst customer service from a theme/amusement park has perennially been any trip to a Premier park. Marineland up in Vallejo was a nightmare about a decade ago and remains the low-water mark to me.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that the CMs I encountered throughout my trip had no reason to be rude.

Forget screaming and intolerable guests--I was very pleasant my whole trip and set out to have a great time. However, I still had negative run-ins, and since this thread has become rather misguided I will share just a few (not all) of my experiences with less-than-commendable CMs.

1. As I've already mentioned, I was not greeted very often at the gate. Once, I ran up to the villa to get my family's things and when I went back down to DCA through the GCH gate, I did not get one single hello. Not one. I got a "ticket?", and that's about it. No "have a nice day" either. Where I worked when I was a front line employee, this was considered unacceptable.

2. Another gate story, after passing the first test (my picture on the Iphone scanner matched my face), I was questioned about the validity of my handstamp. Seriously. After I have already proven that I'm the only person to use that ticket, they had the audacity to sit there for two minutes searching for my stamp and asking me if I was really in the park that day. Ever heard of a swimming pool or washing your hands? The handstamps are unnecessary IMO now that the scanners are in place, so being questioned as to if I'm a fraud or not is ridiculous.

3. Pinocchio's Village Haus, the cashier decided to be friends with one side of the line (which of course, wasn't my side) and rang up a family ALL SEPARATELY. Whereas he should've alternated transactions from each side, he decided to take care of all of them first, and doing it separately caused a lot of extra time I didn't need to be wasting. That's incompetence. The rudeness comes in when his breaker shows up and takes our order finally. After ringing up our total I told her I was a DVC member and to charge the food to my room. I showed her my room key after she verbally verified my request. She looked at the key then gave it back to me. Figuring she had just misunderstood (it happens) I asked her to room charge it again. She took the key then said "oh, DVC?!". That was a little annoying that she had been paying no attention to me but whatever it was fine. The real kicker was when she looked at me is if I were an idiot and asked me if I was having a long day. Seriously?! I'm not the one who rang up the order wrong several times, so I felt like I shouldn't have been talked down to like that.

4. During the parade, it was obvious a CM enjoying his off day as a guest was behind us. The characters all gave him so much extra special attention. It really wasn't a big deal that the princesses were ignoring my daughters in favor of this one guy (which I know for a fact that in Orlando is prohibited, and that if a performer sees someone they recognize, they have subtle signals to give to them). It wasn't too bad until Captain Hook and Smee literally nearly trampled us to go 'attack' their friend behind us. That was when I realized how unprofessional DL had become.

5. This one is partially my fault--after fireworks the crowd control people were trying to get everyone who wanted to get into Adventureland go through Frontierland and around. Seeing no one coming from Adventureland, I thought this was a stupid rule and decided to ignore it. I heard the woman with the magic wand go "go around. excuse me, sir. go around. alright forget you." Seriously.

6. As a sort of blanket statement, I almost never heard please, thank you, or have a nice day anywhere that I went. That in itself would be enough to complain about when you're at a place which holds themselves to such a high standard. But the above examples are what really got me to write here.

Where I work we call the police when a guest becomes abusive, they get 1 warning once an employee feels the guest has crossed the line, if they dont listen and continue the abuse, we evict them, and will not hesitate to call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Ah, DCAfanatic, it is imperative that shortcomings be pointed out, especially in the area of customer service. Management can't help but see peeling paint and faulty anamatronics, but they may not be aware of the depth or frequency of failings in their CMs.
    I agree, though I have sent e-mail about CMs who really stood out as incompetent, rude, inattentive and possibly dangerous (the crowd at the controls who we could not get attention to the fact that our seat belts would not connect on Indiana, it was scary) and received the standard "we are sorry you feel..." giving me the impression it went to the curricular file*.
    On discussion boards the problem is often described as AP feeling of entitlement (as if people who save for three years, take significant time from work and travel across the country... for a once in a long time Disneyland experience with family (and often other relations) are not more annoyed by excessive waits, attraction failures and rude CMs. We talk to them in line, we hear their thoughts on the problems.
    Apparently few are out there watching or unable to effect improvement for some reason (can't make people feel bad by telling them what they need to improve? Cant' get enough applications to replace them?).
    There is more thoughtlessness at the top too, it shows in organizational situations.

I can understand not touching up every chip every night (the parks are now massive and the guest kids too often stand in line and strip plants, peel paint and kick at walls, doors... But some larger surfaces really show and need attention.

When ever I hear someone trying to convince people there is something wrong with them for not accepting bad or rude service, I suspect I know why. Convincing those who want improvement they are "negative" and "complainers"... only works for those who do not want to do their job, no one else profits from it. The parking attendants stare into space or talk to each other instead of directing cars, then yell if you pause, lines for attractions form all over the walk way because no one has bothered to open the chained areas (making us stand in the sun and have other guests push through to pass to the other side), there is a general attitude that reminds me of the traditional reluctant teen employee... my mom made me get this job but she can't make me work.... or, I don't really get what I am supposed to be doing, no one told me....

A generally lessened quality in CMs does not stop me from having a good time, but I remember when the Disneyland staff was held up as an example of superior training and performance, it made the Disneyland experience more comfortable, more effective and more pleasant. A friend said, "remember when the food was awful the the service great?"
    I know how the balance has shifted when I get a really professional, personable, informed CM and I think "WOW"...

* I also sent one about a serious food handling situation at la Brea Bakery, same response from both DL and lBB (actually no response from lBB)

•   
    • Minion

I'm sorry Tyler, but in half of these examples the CMs did nothing wrong.

2. The CMs HAVE to look for the hand stamps. That's the rule. If it's a day when the park is crowded they have to look for the stamps. What would have happened if that CM had said "ok, never mind, go on," and her/his lead had been right there? They would have been in serious trouble. If you don't like the rule, petition City Hall to change it - but you can't blame the CM for following the protocol s/he's been taught to follow.

3. It sounds as though they were short a cashier at the Village Haus, since I've never seen a cashier have to handle two sides of a line. Also, it's customary to ring up one party all together, even if they are paying separately. Also, if the breaker asked if you were having a long day, it might have been that she saw that you were agitated and she was trying to calm you down and defuse the situation.

5. You decided the park rule was stupid and decided to ignore it? You can't do that. The rules are there for a reason, and perhaps the CMs understood something about crowd control there better than you did. If they were trying to get everyone to go a certain way there was a reason for that, even if it wasn't immediately apparent to you. Guests who decide they don't have to follow the rules are the ones who make the CMs' jobs so much harder. The CM shouldn't have said "forget you" but did you really have to ignore her instructions?

Not giving greetings, etc. is a problem - but given the above I don't think the CMs did anything wrong.
    Last edited by Malina; 06-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast