Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of DL

• Minion

The State of DL

I am currently enjoying five days at the DLR (overlooking Paradise Piezr from my GCH villa as I write this) and am, of course, having a great time. However, there are some things I have noticed that concern me a bit about the direction of this wonderful resort.

1. The Staff--this one surprises me...usually I see nothing but happy CMs at any Disney park, but this time around boy is it different. Never have I seen such a collection of incompetent, unhappy, and downright rude employees. If they know what they're doing, they are extremely rude about it. If they are actually somewhat pleasant they are completely clueless and hold up your day. For instance, our waitress at the Carthay Circle was a very pleasant woman, but our service was dreadfully slow (at 5 PM) and we had to tell her about our World of Color reservation before we were given that menu/our tickets. Then when you see people who are capable (crowd control, attractions, etc) they don't know the words please, thank you, etc they just boss around orders. The absolute worst are the ticket takers who are both unpleasant AND inefficient--hardly any greetings from anyone, but a lot of slow people not sure of what they're doing (this problem is only exacerbated by the fact that they now have the insane policy of checking photos BEFORE scanning the ticket--seriously get the fingerprint system!!!) I am not looking forward to interacting with anymore CMs on this trip

2. The Condition of the Parks--peeling paint everywhere, dirty sidewalks, and its not even peak season. Though I do commend them on using themed construction walls around BTMRR, the deteriorating state of the rest of the parks worries me a little. The gold standard set by Disney is being violated by Disney. Also, I've seen more busted AA's and show effects on the rides here than in any WDW park, meaning I can't take anymore criticisms of WDW seriously anymore...which brings me to...

3. Maintenance--maintenance is a joke here. Never have I been in a park with SO many rides breaking down a day. It's ridiculous, and nowhere else would you find such poor maintenance of rides...not Universal, not Six Flags, not even WDW as so many people like to hate on. Never in WDW have three major rides been down at once. And this is not just this trip--it's a common theme for every DL visit for our favorite rides to be broken several times throughout the day, especially when we want to ride them. I feel bad for one-time visitors who can't experience the big name attractions because they're constantly broken. And I also feel bad for locals who come to parks full of broken rides.

Other than those issues, I have had and will continue to have a great time here. But DLR just isn't as perfect as it used to be, or as perfect as people make it out to be. Hopefully by my next trip it will be back to living up to its name.

• The doctor is in

Re: The State of DL

I noticed problems with CMs last time I was there. It isn't the majority but a decent amount are rude.

Take a stop at City Hall before you leave and mention it. If not, write them an email when your trip is over.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Unhelpful User

Disneyland is not the perfect place we all want it to be , just have fun and enjoy life and stop complaining about every little detail eventually it will get fixed , remember everything has a solution.

All in all I know you have vent out your frustrations but don't let these things ruin your vacation and try to have a good time!
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 06-19-2013 at 08:13 AM.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Ah, DCAfanatic, it is imperative that shortcomings be pointed out, especially in the area of customer service. Management can't help but see peeling paint and faulty anamatronics, but they may not be aware of the depth or frequency of failings in their CMs.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Vidia's Minion

Well we do have a new DL president...

• Minion

I agree with the scraped paint. It's disappointing, really. I wouldn't say it's everywhere, but it's definitely noticeable. I've also noticed dirty spots here and there, the most obvious being small world. They need to do some repainting on that one and Toontown as well.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Disneyland is not the perfect place we all want it to be , just have fun and enjoy life and stop complaining about every little detail eventually it will get fixed , remember everything has a solution.
    I have more good things to say than bad, and I am having a great time with my family...the problem is just that compared to our last few trips this one has been a bit underwhelming in the areas I mentioned.

• Minion

Remember to report anything you have a problem with to City Hall. That is one the best things to do if we are to expect change in the future. I hope you're still have an awesome time though.
    Last edited by frollofan; 06-19-2013 at 07:51 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Remember to report anything you have a problem with to City Hall. That is one the best things to do if we are to expect change in the future. I hope you're still have an awesome time though.
    Thats good advice from you all, and I will.

And thank you, it's been a lot of fun--peeled paint and rude CMs who I barely have to interact with cant really ruin a vacation for me. As for broken rides, well we have plenty of time to get to them so again, it's all good

Hopefully though, DL does kinda get the kick in the pants it needs to get back to where it was

• "I Break Things"

price of a Caddy, service of a go-kart!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Former Churro Jockey

It does seem to me like the quality of the CM's has gone downhill since the years that I worked there, but then again I have heard that every CM thinks that!!! I think the pressures they're under between parking (you pretty much have to be pulling into the parking lot an hour and a half before your shift starts in order to be "on time"), insane management requirements, insane guest demands, and ridiculously low pay, and eventually you end up with McDonald's employees. When I worked there the turnover was insane and you could count on the fact that Disney was always hiring, but now that doesn't seem to be the case, so you'd think Disney would be able to hire higher quality employees since they have a bigger pool of candidates to choose from, but it actually seems like they've lowered their standards. Maybe the job candidates have higher levels of expectations in terms of pay and quality of life on the job, so maybe this is the best that Disney can get right now. I don't know that they can do much about the parking (other then have people clock in before the board the parking lot shuttle and pay them for the time it takes to ride the shuttle to Harbor House, go to costuming, change, and then walk across the park to your office), but they certainly could at least pay their employees the same as In N Out.

I hadn't noticed too many rides breaking down, so I don't know if that's just bad luck, or if it's just not the rides that I usually go on. My big pet peeve is when they close the rides because of a nighttime show like the fireworks or World of Color. I can't tell you how many times I've been turned away from California Screamin because I go there just a few minutes too late.

To me the parks look great, I know that their is peeling paint and burned out lightbulbs here and there, but with the amount of people that that go through the parks, I think they look pretty darn good considering the wear and tear that they have to deal with every single day. I know it used to be better, but I also think that the parks weren't as crowded, and guests didn't climb on everything either, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison to say that in 1960 Disneyland was better maintained then it is today in 2013. I actually think that they look better now then they did when I worked there -- ever since the 50th.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I am currently enjoying five days at the DLR (overlooking Paradise Piezr from my GCH villa as I write this) and am, of course, having a great time. However, there are some things I have noticed that concern me a bit about the direction of this wonderful resort.
    I commend you for taking the time to express your concerns. I agree with you on all counts.

Posting here feels better than taking more valuable time to "Visit City Hall"

• Minion

The people at the top of a company set the policies and standards that ultimately affect the guest's experience. So any blame should go to the upper management because ultimately they are the responsible party.

As long as guests pour into the parks in record numbers, upper management has no incentive or motivation to change any policy or standard. The record numbers are their evidence that their policies and standards are correctly set, in their view.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

^...this....sigh.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Closed Account

Where have you guys noticed the peeling paint? In general I don't notice any extremities and concerns. Keep in mind though you're visiting during the start of peak season: the rides will start breaking down more often.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast