Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland loses most popular theme park designation to Floridian brother

MK will probably always be ahead, it draws on a larger population including the US East Coast as well as more of Latin America and Europe. It also has much bigger pathways so it's easier to accommodate more guests. Plus it has all the resort amenities which help add to the appeal. DL could come close, but it will be difficult to catch up with MK. There's a lot to do at DLR to make it a major vacation destination. Work needs to be done on parking, transportation, the hotels, DTD and a third gate.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterNut View Post
    These rankings have been pretty much the same for years now, take a look at List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia DCA has been slowly creeping up the list.
    That list sure shows clearly why Disney is planning to invest more in DAK and DHS, they've hardly grown in the last five years while every other park in Orlando has seen big gains.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Don't forget that DCA's numbers will actually be in the 9 million range. Well ahead of IOA in the number 6 position. It will start edging toward that 10 million number and will most likely eclipse that with the next, whenever it might be, investment. A really remarkable turnaround. If you look at just how much DCAs attendance grew, and the fact that we know DCA took a lot of first clicks away from DL yet DL fell only slightly, is great news for the resort.
    The only explanation is that the tourist numbers were up significantly.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm curious to know if there's ANYONE who visits one park at a time at the Disneyland Resort. When I'm there for a full day, I don't remember a time when i didn't park hop. If they counted each individual click to the resort, regardless of which they went to first, I'm sure Disneyland would have a significantly higher number.

In Florida, park hopping does happen but I'm guessing there are days when guests visit a park and don't budge from it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Don't forget that DCA's numbers will actually be in the 9 million range. Well ahead of IOA in the number 6 position. It will start edging toward that 10 million number and will most likely eclipse that with the next, whenever it might be, investment. A really remarkable turnaround. If you look at just how much DCAs attendance grew, and the fact that we know DCA took a lot of first clicks away from DL yet DL fell only slightly, is great news for the resort.
    The only explanation is that the tourist numbers were up significantly.
    I agree with you in concept, but I'm not sure DCA will quite get up to the 9 million range this year. You can't extrapolate the same gain in people over the whole year because the new DCA was open the busiest seasons of the year. I think it will be a little over 8 million, maybe 8.5.

But I do think that the number of multiple day visitors is likely going up and people are extending their stays longer. Which obviously needs to happen to justify growing more. I feel like they got about what they could expect out of the money they spent. In some ways it seems DCA actually hit the sweet spot that should provoke some kind of phase two. It was a little more successful then they planned for, but not so popular that they can completely declare DCA completely fixed and move on. Really makes you wonder when we're going to hear about more hotels and parking structures. Not the most flashy announcements, but they'll be telling about the future of the resort. Unfortunately, they've spent so much over the last few years relative to the overall size of the resort that it's going to take some time to repay those investments. Unless, of course, the CEO decides to find money to fund it because they see it as a priority.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree with you in concept, but I'm not sure DCA will quite get up to the 9 million range this year. You can't extrapolate the same gain in people over the whole year because the new DCA was open the busiest seasons of the year. I think it will be a little over 8 million, maybe 8.5.

But I do think that the number of multiple day visitors is likely going up and people are extending their stays longer. Which obviously needs to happen to justify growing more. I feel like they got about what they could expect out of the money they spent. In some ways it seems DCA actually hit the sweet spot that should provoke some kind of phase two. It was a little more successful then they planned for, but not so popular that they can completely declare DCA completely fixed and move on. Really makes you wonder when we're going to hear about more hotels and parking structures. Not the most flashy announcements, but they'll be telling about the future of the resort. Unfortunately, they've spent so much over the last few years relative to the overall size of the resort that it's going to take some time to repay those investments. Unless, of course, the CEO decides to find money to fund it because they see it as a priority.
    Great post. Hopefully the next phase is the infrastructure phase where they prepare for the Anaheim streetcar, a second parking garage, and more hotel rooms.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I'm curious to know if there's ANYONE who visits one park at a time at the Disneyland Resort. When I'm there for a full day, I don't remember a time when i didn't park hop. If they counted each individual click to the resort, regardless of which they went to first, I'm sure Disneyland would have a significantly higher number.

In Florida, park hopping does happen but I'm guessing there are days when guests visit a park and don't budge from it.
    Sure, there's people who are old fashioned and JUST want a day at Disneyland. Before there were two parks, I remember my grandfather took two of my younger female cousins, who were about 5 or 6, and apparently spent the whole afternoon with them in Fantasyland.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

When I go it's usually for multiple days, but we do spend one full day at Disneyland only and another at DCA only. If I lived close enough to have an AP I could easily see doing only one or the other on some trips.

Does not matter . Disneyland is always #1. I have no interest to flying to Florida to go to a park. Let the east coast have it and us west coasters can have the original.....

Also worth noting, none of these attendance figures are from the companies. They are estimates by the organization that creates this report.
    The Mur

• Cunning infiltrator

Just the single Disneyland-style parks including the original in attendance and this is what it should be!

1. Disneyland Park
    2. Tokyo Disneyland
    3. Disneyland Paris
    4. Magic Kingdom (WDW)
    5. Hong Kong Disneyland

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Just the single Disneyland-style parks including the original in attendance and this is what it should be!

1. Disneyland Park
    2. Tokyo Disneyland
    3. Disneyland Paris
    4. Magic Kingdom (WDW)
    5. Hong Kong Disneyland
    SHOULD be? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Great post. Hopefully the next phase is the infrastructure phase where they prepare for the Anaheim streetcar, a second parking garage, and more hotel rooms.

This is true. My dad works for a construction company (they worked on Cars Land for almost two years) and their next project is in USH. Guess what they're working on? Parking! With Despicable Me & Wizarding World coming to the park, Universal is getting ready for it!

and what really constitutes a visit? just getting your ticket scanned? Is a 1 hour visit the same as 8 hours? Is your ticket scanned somehow when you leave? Do the people who track this sort of stuff have a way of knowing how long you are in the park? Kinda reminds me of youtube. Does it count as a click on a video if you quit out after a few seconds?

• Banned User

I need to go back and look at the numbers, but I think my 9 million figure was including the dropoff in attendance increase that would take place versus attendance gains upon the first 6 months of Carsland opening. I think I figured it somewhere between 8.5 and 9 million. Actually I just went back and looked and DCA's attendance numbers were 7.75 million. That was up about 1.5 million. If we cut that gain for the following 6 months by 50%, that still puts DCA at over 8.5 million. Im guessing DCA will settle around 8.5 million. I also believe attendance will continue to grow moderately, the way IOA has in years after opening Potter. Word of mouth will bring increased tourists to the resort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast