Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Disneyland loses most popular theme park designation to Floridian brother

Disneyland loses most popular theme park designation to Floridian brother
    Top 10 most visited theme parks in 2012: Disneyland ranks No. 2 | The Breakdown | 89.3 KPCC

A notable decline in attendance in the top 20 list was at Knott's Berry Farm, the report said. The report explained that Knott's attendance declined 4 percent to 3.5 million visitors last year due to the closure of the water ride, Perilous Plunge, and the redevelopment of that area.
    Top 20 most visited theme parks in North America in 2012
    1. Magic Kingdom (Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
    2. Disneyland (Anaheim)
    3. Epcot (Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
    4. Disney's Animal Kingdom (Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
    5. Disney's Hollywood Studios (Walt Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, Florida)
    6. Universal's Islands of Adventure (Universal Orlando, Florida)
    7. Disney's California Adventure (Anaheim)
    8. Universal Studios Florida (Universal Orlando, Florida)
    9. Universal Studios Hollywood (Universal City)
    10. SeaWorld Florida (Orlando, Florida)
    11. SeaWorld California (San Diego)
    12. Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (Tampa, Florida)
    13. Canada's Wonderland (Maple, Ontario, Canada)
    14. Knott's Berry Farm (Buena Park)
    15. Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio)
    16. Kings Island (Kings Island, Ohio)
    17. Hersheypark (Hershey, Pennsylvania)
    18. Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Virginia (Williamsburg, Virginia)
    19. Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia)
    20. SeaWorld San Antonio (San Antonio, Texas)

• -

Re: Disneyland loses most popular theme park designation to Floridian brother

It most likely has to do with CA Adventure being so high on the list now. It is pulling that first turnstile click away from Disneyland.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Minion

Disneyland has been ranking second for quite some time now.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Somehow, this is not a suprise to me. WDW's MK has the plus of "resort power" behind it.

One question, though? Do those compiling this info on Disney properties count pure gate (actual bodies through the gate) or just the first park visited on a park-hopper each day?

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

Um, this should not be a surprise at all. Like jasmineray said, Disneyland has been #2 for a while now.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It most likely has to do with CA Adventure being so high on the list now. It is pulling that first turnstile click away from Disneyland.
    Yes, but it needs to keep moving up the list, #8 is not acceptable.

And MK has to compete with 3 other DISNEY parks on it's property, now DL has to compete with 1 park, so that's not an excuse, it says a lot about the state of the whole resort.

Being #2 and #8, vs. Being # 1, #3, #4 and #5...

I'd say Disneyland needs expansion more than Disney World. The only reason Disney World doesn't have all the top spots is because Disneyland took one, not their competition in FL.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Disneyland has been ranking second for quite some time now.
    There are other aspects to the story to discuss, like where Disney should invest in their American parks. Or which other companies are on their heels (Universal)... It seems like SeaWorld is more of a threat than Six Flags.

Disney has been #2 for years. MK is more popular BECAUSE there are more parks in the area. Look at the sheer number of WDW hotels vs. DLR area hotels. Of course those parks are going to be busier.

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    There are other aspects to the story to discuss, like where Disney should invest in their American parks.
    Well, which will it be? Pour more cash into DLR to give it a 3rd gate and boost the "stayability" and decrease the "strayability" to other attractions, or offer maintenance level funding at DLR and put the money where it will do the most good, with the more profitable WDW properties?

Put down the torches and pitchforks, I feel investment in DLR is vital.

Or which other companies are on their heels (Universal)... It seems like SeaWorld is more of a threat than Six Flags.
    Six Flags is a Thrill Park. Decent Thrill Parks are scattered about the landscape and there is at least one really good one accessible to most Americans near their home, therefore they are less of a destination park. Cedar Point (#15) is an exception to the rule since it has a staggering number of thrill rides in one place. Sea World is a unique experience not available to many people, so they are more likely to include it on a destination vacation.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Circle of Ancients

There are actually 6 what people would call "Thrill Parks" on that list. Canada's Wonderland, Knott's, Cedar Fair, Kings Island, Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hersheypark. Interestingly enough, Hersheypark is the only one on that list owned by a company that does not own multiple parks. Good for them!!! It's a great park.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people going to these parks as a part of another trip. For example, it's easy for somebody to take a day and head to Busch Gardens Williamsburg during a 10 day trip to Washington DC. It's easy for somebody to go to Hersheypark while passing through Pennsylvania. If somebody has a Six Flags or Cedar Fair pass already they may be more than likely to drive a couple of hours out of their way on a cross country trip to spend a day off the road. I know many people who do this.

As was said above, Disneyland has been #2 for quite some time now. At least more than a decade if not even longer than that.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You know the media, they can't understand Disney parks. They'll refer to the two parks as two resorts. They don't get it.

• Former Churro Jockey

I wonder how accurate that actually is given how Disney only counts the first park you visit. Anyone going to Disneyland who is smart is going to run over to DCA and try to get that fastpass for RSR before they sell out, even though they may spend the vast majority of their day at Disneyland.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I wonder how accurate that actually is given how Disney only counts the first park you visit. Anyone going to Disneyland who is smart is going to run over to DCA and try to get that fastpass for RSR before they sell out, even though they may spend the vast majority of their day at Disneyland.
    DisneyWorld also only counts the first click, and MK is the most popular park in North America. Disneyland needs to be able to hold its own against DCA

• Former Churro Jockey

I know, but it's much easier to go into DCA and grab a fastpass and then run over to Disneyland for the rest of the day then it is to go to a different park at WDW in the morning for something, then either wait an hour for the Disney bus or transfer monorails to get over to the Magic Kingdom. I suspect that because it is much more difficult to get between parks at WDW that this method of counting visitors gives the Magic Kingdom a bit of an unfair advantage. I don't even know why I care if Disneyland is number 1 or number 2, but for some reason I do...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

These rankings have been pretty much the same for years now, take a look at List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia DCA has been slowly creeping up the list.
    Mission: Visit every Disney park in 365 days.

Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea: 10/14
    Disneyland Paris & Walt Disney Studios: 11/14
    Disneyland California & California Adventure: 12/14
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 3/15
    Walt Disney World & AK & Epcot & DHS: planned 8/15

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast