• Just drawn that way

Disney with limitations.

Hello all,
    It's been a while since I've been on due to surgery. I use to go every few days to Disneyland until March when I had to temporarily move out of state while I undergo a few surgeries.

I am going to Disneyland in a month with my family, and can not eat. Really I had surgery about a week ago and am on a liquid diet for a while. So how do I cope being at Disneyland with Yogart drinks, Ensure and baby food.
    So my question is how do one cope with a limited diet, smells of food everywhere and keeping things cold all day. I know everything is going to be tough enough going there and not be able to do much but shows. But I really worry how to stay feed. Any help would be nice. Thanks a lot.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• #bringevilback

Re: Disney with limitations.

Bring a soft sided cooler with some of your drinks frozen so they will keep others cool while they melt, add ice if you think you need it, and you can always ask for a cup of ice at counter service places later in the day if you need it. As for bring around the other sights and smells, at's going to be tough. You could bring multiple flavors of gum and pop a new one when you are feeling deprived. They make crazy flavors now, so that might help distract you. Also, to avoid hunger go with thicker liquids, like yogurt, as I think those would stick with you longer. Also, jello is considered a clear liquid for liquid diets, so if you want to feel like you are actually eating something, you could go with that, and those don't need refrigeration. If the type of liquid doesn't matter and it's not a health issue, you could go with shakes or smoothies, if not in the park, DTD has Jamba Juice and Haagan Daz...

• Just drawn that way

Thanks so much, some of it is health issues, so really need and try to be on the healthy side.
    What locations inside the parks might have a a good selection on healthy drinks?

Hello. I am a chihuahua who is also a service dog. Some day I will visit Disneyland. I think about food all the time. I have to have a special diet -- no churros! My mom sends best wishes and says that food is everywhere all the time but Disneyland is only magic for a short time, so don't worry too much that your mind will be on food. Like mine. My mind is always on food. What's a churro?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    Thanks so much, some of it is health issues, so really need and try to be on the healthy side.
    What locations inside the parks might have a a good selection on healthy drinks?
    Check out Schmoozies at DCA, it's a smoothie place. I'm not sure about the exact nutritional facts but I know if you ask, the cast members will be able to provide you with an accurate list of ingredients.

Also, I don't know if soups are out of the question for you, but if not, Pacific Wharf in DCA has various soups, usually one chowder, one cream type and one bisque type soup. Also in Disneyland you can get soup at the French Market.

To block out enticing smells I've heard a little "vicks" or vapor rub under the nose can mask other odors. A little trick people use when working with smelly co-workers or handling unpleasant, smelly tasks.

•   
    • Minion

PEppermints help block out unpleasant smells, too.

I don't have an identical situation but I do have limitations due to severe food allergies, so I empathize. As the others have said, you can bring a soft-sided cooler with ice - get a locker in Main Street INSIDE the park if you don't want to haul it everywhere but want to be able to reach it.

Jolly Holiday Bakery has a really good tomato soup, if soups are an option for you. As far as healthy drinks - well - there's not much I can think of that qualifies as "healthy" over tasty - but there are a few exceptions. Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land serves plain orange juice. You can get apple or orange juice at Jolly Holiday. A few places also serve fruit juice blends - Jolly Holiday (the practically perfect punch), Maurice's Treats in the Fantasy Faire and Cozy Cones, among others. And of course there's always the option of pineapple juice (and it's modestly priced!) at the Tiki Room.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Just drawn that way

Due to one location of the surgery, it is like I had my jaw wired shut (not that bad) but gum and candies are out. But the other advise is so nice.

Does anyone out there know the healthier treats....or can they find out for me?

And Dolewhip float is always a must!!!

• Chief Troublemaker

I can really sympathize. I have Celiac so must be gluten free. Disney is really great with dietary restrictions so I don't go hungry but sometimes the smell of things I can no longer have really 'gets to me'. But, seriously, the main thing that helps with that is remembering how sick I will get if I eat something with gluten in it. If you get 'down in the mouth' (pun intended) just remember what a set-back it will be in your recovery if you try something on your 'no-no' list.

If actual ingredients aren't a problem, you should be able to find lots of liquid treats. Milk shakes, smoothies, soups. I'd bet any restaurant would be able/willing to puree a baked potato with some butter & cream to a consistency you can tolerate.

You can email or call Disney's dietary department and ask them what's available. They are truly wonderful. Here's the link. It deals more with allergies, but will still give you plenty of info.

Food and Allergy Information | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Thanks for putting this up. Sorry I can't help. I had gastric bypass three months ago. To begin with I had a similar diet. I'm now at the starting to eat regular food again but still get problems. So I will be more on the liquid side of things to be safe. I don't really want to be looking for toilets or trash cans. I live in Australia and the trip is 39 days away so I have started researching. So thanks again

There are several carts that have frozen lemonade. Those are super yummy and surprisingly filling (though not for long) so you can still get a treat. I find that when the smell of something I shouldn't eat gets to me, eating or drinking something tasty helps.

Call Disney, sorry not sure of a number but if you call a general line they can connect you to where you need to be. Last time I was in the parks in February a cast member told me that if you call they will give you all the info on where you can get the foods or drinks you need based on your limitations. She said they even can bring in different cooks or special meals for you if your party has dinner reservations and you have specific needs so your not excluded!

• Closed Account

I've done Disneyland a number of times on an all liquid diet. It doesn't have to be the worst thing that ever happened on a trip to Disneyland, after all, you are still going to Disneyland. Disneyland is so accommodating with special diets throughout the park, as well as special orders. They will do everything they can to make you feel comfortable. If you have any hesitation at all, go to City Hall, and they can help give you some tips to get you through the day.

One of the first things that I always did was brought along plenty of chocolate Ensure. We tried the soft sided cooler thing many times, but it just didn't stay cool enough. Now, we bring it room temperature (which is how it's sold) and we ask for a cup of ice. It actually tastes better on ice than it does cold, and then you feel like you are "like everyone else" drinking out of a Disney cup. I actually even have a preferred type of ice, I like the ice at Geppetto's because it's smooth, creamy, and dissolves easily. There are days I will walk around with a cup of that ice, just to have on my tongue to give me something to suck on.

Here is what has gotten me through in the past:
    Jamba Juice in Downtown Disney - they will mix together pretty much whatever you ask them to. They have a protein solution that they can add to drinks as well, which worked good for me in helping to get the number of calories that I needed.

Blue Bayou at Disneyland has a Louisiana Lemonade that is to die for. At the Blue Bayou I have actually had them do macaroni and cheese and blend it up. It gave me "something good" without tasting terrible. If you need them to do something special, and you have a reservation there, you can let them know when you make the reservation at (714) 781-3463

Cafe Orleans has been very accommodating in the past of doing their french onion soup without the cheese and the croutons. That was filling and tasty to me. I also enjoy their character punch when I am there. Cafe Orleans also has the macaroni cheese that Blue Bayou has, but I have never asked them to blend it up before. We have taken a Magic Bullet with us and done that in the baby care center and never gotten any strange looks for it.

Carnation Cafe has always been very easy to find stuff to eat at as well, the Baked Potato soup, I just ask for without the bacon, cheese, and chives. It's very filling and again very tasty. They also have the character punch, man I love that stuff! The best part about Carnation Cafe is that they make malts that are to die for, love them so much. The chocolate malt has been a meal for me many times. They have the Macaroni and Cheese, and they have blended it up for us in the past as well right on the spot, I did have City Hall call ahead and let them know we were in the park and what we required.

At Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, I love their floats! The sarsparilla is my favorite.

Bengal BBQ is one of my boyfriend's favorite places to eat. They make a yogurt parfait, but not on the spot as they are pre-made ahead of time. I have picked stuff of it and enjoyed just the yogurt on numerous trips to Disneyland. They also have a strawberry milk (Nesquik) which goes a long way to fill you up.

French Market is another place that has the macaroni and cheese, and if you have City Hall call ahead, they are more than happy to blend it up for you. They also have applesauce which goes down really smooth and is filling.

At the Golden Horseshoe, a root beer float is always a nice treat, and my boyfriend can get a sundae and I don't feel jealous. They have yogurt there as well. They will also blend up banana for you or mash it down good if you ask them to.

Hungry Bear has Dreyers Fruit Bars which are a really nice treat. They aren't the most filling thing in the world, but they do help when you are craving something. They have apple sauce as well. We have gotten macaroni and cheese there and blended it with our Magic Bullet as well.

At the Jolly Holiday Bakery, my absolute favorite thing is the tomato soup. They also make a chicken noodle soup and will give you just chicken broth if you ask for it, which is good when you are smelling what everyone else around you has. They have macaroni and cheese and have never had a problem blending it up for us. They also have their own punch, it's named as a tribute to Mary Poppins, but I can't for the life of me remember the name right now.

At the Royal Street Veranda the creamy clam chowder is filling, but usually it's too rough on my stomach on days I'm on an all liquid diet. I sort of feel it reheating itself in my stomach all day long.

Tomorrowland Terrace has always been willing to blend macaroni and cheese up for us as well as has Village Haus.

Other favorite treats throughout the park when I can't eat are the frozen apple juice near the princesses, the frozen "slurpees" for lack of a better word near It's A Small World (the wild cherry is my favorite), and frozen lemonade throughout the park.

At DCA I don't have any experience with the dining places, but I have gotten the non alcohol beverage at Baja Blenders and enjoyed it and Schmoozies makes everything on the spot and much like Jamba Juice will blend just about anything you can think of together.

We have done Disneyland 19 times on an all liquid diet, when my boyfriend ate regular food and I was on the liquid diet, I have never once wanted for something I couldn't have on those trips, because there have always been plenty of options to fill me up. One of the things that I do is get some Disney Mints, I love the chocolate ones, and keep those and a Jolly Rancher type candy, also from Disneyland with me, to suck on whenever my sweet tooth hits. Sure, Disneyland is more fun when you can eat everything in sight, but it's not impossible when you are on an all liquid diet either.

One of the biggest tips I can give you is to take it slow. When you are on an all liquid diet, you have less energy and you tend to feel sluggish throughout the day. Make sure you drink plenty of water. I even sometimes go to the frozen lemonade stands and get a shot of their cherry in my water, it costs a little bit to do so, but they are happy to do so, and it helps get me through the day.

• Just drawn that way

Thanks so much to you all! This is really putting my mind at ease. I just want to enjoy myself without feeling like I am starving!

I am also glad this is helping more than just me!

Anyone else like to add to this is always welcomed.